weekly Hertsmans 52 for 2017 Rustic,Festive, weather added-and DONE !

Nope, Im going to admit defeat on this one. Its not a style Im very good at, clearly, and I tried a load more shots tonight, but they look just as crap as the above.
Think I'll admit defeat on this one and move on....

It's always good to try something different, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Without trying there would be no progress.

Nope, Im going to admit defeat on this one. Its not a style Im very good at, clearly, and I tried a load more shots tonight, but they look just as crap as the above.
Think I'll admit defeat on this one and move on....
At least you tried I admire you for that, the some people don't even try

I like the idea and do think it has more potential. I know how frustrating it can be trying to get something you have in your mind into reality. Maybe a more directional light would give more control on lighting just part of the circles.

I can see where you were wanting to go with this. For me it's not quite there, it needs a little more punch. I see you were at iso 1000 and f36? According to flickr. If correct I would shoot at something in the mid range, f8-f11. Going for a very contrasty b+w pp would work I think
Tried playing around in LR bit couldnt get the look I was after, cheers

Hmm, I admire your intent and effort but I'm not convinced, sorry.
Thanks Chris

You could give it more contrast by crushing the black and raising the whites in levels perhaps?
See above comment Tim,,,,

It's always good to try something different, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Without trying there would be no progress.
True enough, thanks

At least you tried I admire you for that, the some people don't even try
Thanks Allan

Hi Mark .. you sound like me ....take number *!?*!? I can never just do one :runaway:
I actually love this idea ...it's just up my street and I'd love to have a fiddle with it, I agree with Tim, a bit more adjustment on the contrast and I think it's a real eye catcher.
Fiddle away Susie, be good if you could make it how I wanted ....

hitchcocky lighting o_O
I wanted the shadows to add an extra contrast layer, its close, but no cigar for me.

Definitely clean, we used to have a tropical tank and a marine tank the marine tank was hard work but worth it if you can get it right, so good luck with that

There's something nice and abstracty in there ... purple and gold tones.

Hi Mark, the piece of jewellery is very striking with those vibrant blue tones and all the angles. Well done on controlling the light and reflections so well.

For Contrast, it was a good idea and I agree with the suggestion to try this in black and white and punch up the contrast; I think that would transform it (y)

And for Clean - it certainly looks very clean! Some lovely colours and textures inside the tank, too.

Last edited:
Lovely curves Mark. The track, the kerb and the grass cut pattern but I'm trying to figure out the slope; I can see the two guys on the level and there must be a hill through the curves, but the buildings have totally confused me:confused: and is the horizon straight or are the trees on a slope too:confused::confused::D

Lovely curves Mark. The track, the kerb and the grass cut pattern but I'm trying to figure out the slope; I can see the two guys on the level and there must be a hill through the curves, but the buildings have totally confused me:confused: and is the horizon straight or are the trees on a slope too:confused::confused::D

Ive had to twist it slightly to lose a lot of the catch fencing bottom right.....

Hi Mark,

Finally getting round to catching up with commenting:(

Fruit - Good alternative to the theme. Nice colours and dof and no you can't beat edible props:D
Vehicle - The edit is good, the white spot did draw the eye other than that I like the colours and good black bg
Piece - Lovely blue against the black bg and well done with the reflections but my OCD would like the chain to be more even and I think it might have worked well in portrait too
Contrast - Nice idea, I do think it has legs but its not really contrasty enough but sometimes you just have to let it go and move on, you might come back to it later and it will work. Might have worked on a reflective surface, just a thought
Curve - I like this there's lots to look at. Nice curves on the track and the grass, it is a bit on the tilt but its tricky to straighten or crop without losing the marshals and I like that detail

:D

Does look bit tilted but could be the angle from which it is shot, certainly bang on theme.

The angles do seem a bit strange to me, but I can see that the land probably slopes throwing things out. Lovely curves with both track and grass.

I love @posiview 's idea of cropping in. I think it would make a fantastic abstract with such strong colours and lines.

It does look a bit tilted as others have mentioned but other than that it's great. Agree with DK about the inclusion of the tow guys in the bottom adding to the shot. It almost has the feel of a shot of a model track.

'Twas always going to be a motorsport shot this week, wasn't it :)
Like the Marshalls, like the curves, don't like the tilt (sorry). Maybe more of a dutch angle would have worked?

I adore my annual three day immersion into the world of Motogp, so yes, you are right.........

Dutch angle ?

Only my thoughts but I don't mind the fence in the fg. I have just cropped off the bin and the untidy bit at the bottom
36174476833_aa29ee791f_c.jpg

First a step in Capture One for tonal tweaks then i
n Affinity for clean ups on low res jpg = 3 min…

Curves2%20.jpg

@Dave70D bang on, well done......
I wanted to keep the Marshalls as interest.....

I still adore the sinous curves of this section of the track.
The top Motopg riders tip into the top curve at around 160 mph !!!!!!!

Last edited:
I feel your pain on the contrast shot Mark - those set ups can be SO frustrating!! I'd probably have tried more directional lighting, perhaps a lower pov/shallower depth of field to generate interest in s different way, but that might not have been at all the shot you were looking for. Huge credit for trying so hard!
I really like the original shot you posted for curves - it is wonky and a bit puzzling, but of all the edits it most emphasises the curves and I think it's really striking with it's bright bold colours (y)

Back