Heterochaeta orientalis

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

As some of you know I keep exotic insects as pets, one of the reason is they are just awesome, but the other is I teach children in Schools and at events about Insects and Spiders to try and educate them and learn not to fear them, along with other conservation issues.

Anyway....one of my latest additions is this beauty, Heterochaeta orientalis, aka The Cat Mantis.

Enjoy.

Matt

Cat Mantis by Matthew Doogue, on Flickr

You should put a warning…

beautiful monster but a monster nonetheless! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Very nice [emoji1303] if it was mine I would cut out the head placing on just the black background.

Now that is a awesome shot Matt, I agree about the BG though, maybe a more even BG would suffice.

Wonderful, wonderful image Matt. Truly impressive focus coverage and detail. And beautiful.

FWIW I am very comfortable with the background, which is body context I imagine. Not sure I would like a disembodied head as much.

Would you care to share some info about the capture and processing?

Thanks,

Shot with a Canon 6D, MPE65, Handheld, live subject. What you can see is indeed the body.

Setting were f8, 1/160, ISO 320, Dual Flash diffused. 6 shots taken and merged/stacked in photoshop.

Slight sharpening, white balance correction and shadow lift.

Excellent image Matt as usual :clap::plus1:
I do wonder what they (close up's of bugs) are thinking about :naughty::thinking::wacky:

:exit:

Probably working out if it can eat me or mate with me hahaha

Thanks,

Shot with a Canon 6D, MPE65, Handheld, live subject. What you can see is indeed the body.

Setting were f8, 1/160, ISO 320, Dual Flash diffused. 6 shots taken and merged/stacked in photoshop.

Slight sharpening, white balance correction and shadow lift.

Thanks Matt.

Hand held - nice execution.

Is there a story behind the 1/160 and ISO 320? Presumably the sync speed on the 6D is 1/200 or 1/250. And ISO 320. Were you picking up some background with natural light? Or up the ISO a bit to keep the recycle time down perhaps?

Exactly that, out in the field, those settings help me drag in a little background, also allowing me to reduce flash power for faster recycle times :)

Back