.HIEF and Lightroom compatibility

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all

I thought i would try HIEF instead of JPEG on my Fuju XH2, i have just tried to import my files into lightroom but I'm getting the following error,

" the files appear to be unsupported or damaged (47)"

All the files are classed as .HIF, All my raw files were imported without any issues, I thought LR could handle .HIF files?

I had the same problem (on another programme, not LR) and found out when I googled it that there are, as yet, few programmes which support this file format.
That's not good, I thought i read that LR was compatible, guess I will just go back to jpegs then :confused:

I could be mis-remembering here but I recall talk on an editing forum that the .heif format is not set in stone so to speak so although a file may have the extension the contents may be ‘stored’ in a way different to another manufacturer’s version of .heif so that software doesn’t know what it’s dealing with unless wrote specifically for each interpretation of .heif.

I probably wrote that poorly but if I am remembering correctly basically we can’t think of .heif in the way we do jpg so whilst LR might happily work with iPhone .heif files it won’t necessarily work with Fuji ones as you’ve found out.

In fact under camera settings on Apple devices you have the option of HEIF or Most Compatible (jpg) again hinting at limited wider support across devices/platforms.

I could be mis-remembering here but I recall talk on an editing forum that the .heif format is not set in stone so to speak so although a file may have the extension the contents may be ‘stored’ in a way different to another manufacturer’s version of .heif so that software doesn’t know what it’s dealing with unless wrote specifically for each interpretation of .heif.

I probably wrote that poorly but if I am remembering correctly basically we can’t think of .heif in the way we do jpg so whilst LR might happily work with iPhone .heif files it won’t necessarily work with Fuji ones as you’ve found out.

In fact under camera settings on Apple devices you have the option of HEIF or Most Compatible (jpg) again hinting at limited wider support across devices/platforms.
Thanks for the info Lost Manc

So am I interpreting it right , the below says it will work ?

"Windows

Lightroom Classic, Lightroom and Camera Raw support HEIF/.heic files running on Windows 10."

No. There's the other note at the top of the same Adobe support page that you need to take account of, too:

"Although modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos and HEVC (H.265) videos, Lightroom and Camera raw support only HEIF/.heic files created with iOS devices."

[emphasis added]

It will work with Windows 10 if you have an HEIC file from an iPhone, but it won't work with HEIF files created with your Fuju XH2

Back