HiFi.

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I used to be into HiFi but I've no idea what's on the market today.

I have an Arcam integrated amp and a couple the dials are playing up which is annoying as this is the second time. I have a Creek 4040 that's still perfect so the fact that the more expensive Arcam is giving grief again is doubly annoying.

So, I'd like to replace the Arcam with something new and I'd like to buy British but I gather that although Arcam are still in business they're not as British as they were and are now foreign owned and get their stuff made in the far east so I'll put them towards the bottom of my list, if they make it on at all.

In the old days there was Audio Lab, Musical Fidelity, Quad, Naim, Linn (I have a turntable) Creek, Nytek (I had one) and a whole host of others but I expect most have gone bust, been bought out or are importing stuff from the far east?

Does anyone know what integrated amp is decent enough and British? I'm hoping to spend under £1k. Oh, and I'd like tone and balance controls if at all possible either on the unit or on a remote as I sometimes to listen to some old stuff in poor condition and these controls are sometimes needed.

My turntable used to have a MC cartridge until someone clumsy broke it and now it has a MM. I may have another MC at some point so a way of switching between MC and MM on the amp is pretty much essential.

Any hifi buffs here?

Last edited:
The arcam dials are fixed with a squirt of contact cleaner usually. I had the same with my old arcam amp. They get crud in them.

All in your list apart from Nytek are still going I think. There's also Sugden and Cyrus that are British brands.

Pinkfish Media forum is probably the best place to find out who owns who and who is the most British.

The main problem I found was finding an amp that would take a turntable input and also have modern connectivity. I didnt pay a lot for my Yamaha amp as it's relatively low powered (and definitely not British) but they do more powerful ones in the range and they have inputs for turntables and all the other stuff plus with mine I was able to connect an mp3 receiver (as an add-on). Might be worth looking at Yamaha A-S801 or 701 at Richers

I have a NAD system from 1993, although designed in the UK they were built in the far east even then. The CD player takes its time to load CDs now, but once it gets going the sound is so satisfying. I do wonder if my CD player went kaput that I could find a new unit as good and compatible...

All I want now is the space to do the system justice.

personally I wouldn't get bogged down with British as that will seriously limit your options.
cyrus however constantly get good reviews, look at Cambridge audio as well defo not British any more but really strong amps now.

maybe look for some used meridian kit as well.

I know it may seem daft but I like to buy British and made here too if at all possible to keep "us" employed, paying taxes and supporting the NHS etc. Next best I suppose would be buying British but made abroad. Sad how so many names from the past have just gone, been bought by foreign companies or are making their stuff overseas now.

Another I've just remembered is Sugden. In my last job one of the companies I worked for made parts for Sugden.

I'll keep looking.

Made in Manchester

Temple Audio Bantam.

Awesome.

Add a Croft Audio Valve phono and pre - even awesomer.

Add a simple equaliser.

Exactly what you want.

Except I don't know of a British made equaliser.

I have the temple and Croft combo.

However - Seriously - Yamaha AS500 is the greatest value great amp. I have one of them too.

I also have a Sugden. For the price - meh.

All IMO of course

Last edited:
Having said all that, maybe just get a Croft integrated.

You could add a Equaliser for tone control, but Glen Croft might just seek you out and murder you.

:)

My Monitor Audio amp is the perfect mix of modern (Apple play and DLNA) but capable of output from my turntable (through a pre amp)

Though I think it’s made in China but British owned.definitely doesn’t look like ‘hifi’ though.

maybe look for some used meridian kit as well.

iv'e always had a soft spot for meridian stuff iv'e never heard anything they have produced sound bad
still got a meridian cd player but swapped my meridian pre / power amp ( 501 pre / 205 power ) out for a Krell integrated a couple or so years ago which i have to say sounds pretty good :)

the prices you can pick up the 501 /205 combo's up for today on the 2nd hand market makes them a bargain IMHO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meridian...=item5914340194:g:v9EAAOSwKJZbJBiM:rk:61:pf:0

cosmetically these 205 monoblocks are a bit of a mess but if the work as they should at £250 there still a bargain but i would want to see the back of them before i parted with any money iv'e seen a few in the past that have started to corrode on the back plate for whatever reason

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meridian...=item4429f21bc6:g:rMgAAOSwnN9bunQE:rk:25:pf:0

My Monitor Audio amp is the perfect mix of modern (Apple play and DLNA) but capable of output from my turntable (through a pre amp)

Though I think it’s made in China but British owned.definitely doesn’t look like ‘hifi’ though.

I didn't know they made amps. I have a pair of their speakers.

I'll have a look later.

I also have a Sugden. For the price - meh.

All IMO of course

I think a lot will hang on how old your Sugden is, I know they had a complete redesign some time ago when I worked for one of their suppliers.

PS.
Thanks all.
I'll keep reading and Googling.

I've had a bit of a think about this. I'd like to buy British but it does look like lots of the names I remember from years ago when I was into hifi are possibly little more than badge jobs now or foreign owned designers of kit made in China so rather than spend a lot of time and effort on line (there used to be a local hifi shop where you go and talk to the guys and listen to the kit but not these days) finding something to suit me I've decided to look at getting my existing Arcam amp fixed. Years ago I'd have done it myself but these days I just can't be bothered, other things to do, and there's the issue of finding the parts (a couple of rotary controls) which could be a time consuming and frustrating process so I'll look for someone to do it all for me.

Unfortunately Arcam don't seem to want to know about repairs and their dealers will only undertake warranty work so I've have to look elsewhere. I do have to say that this seems like very poor service. Actually it's not a service at all if the kit is out of warranty.

Did you look at Naim? Not the cheapest but UK made.

Looks like you've just missed a trade-in offer on the Cyrus One amp, which has a phono stage built in but no tone controls. Might be worth enquiring with the shop at the link, but even at full price it will be below your max price. It has also been available with a Chromecast Audio for streaming, so worth checking that out if it is of interest? https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/hi-fi-separates/amplifiers/integrated-amplifiers/cyrus-one-amplifier/
Maybe nice amps but there seem to be things things missing for me from moving coil compatibility to tone and balance controls etc. or at least it's difficult to see if they have these things.

Last edited:
The arcam dials are fixed with a squirt of contact cleaner usually. I had the same with my old arcam amp. They get crud in them.

All in your list apart from Nytek are still going I think. There's also Sugden and Cyrus that are British brands.

Pinkfish Media forum is probably the best place to find out who owns who and who is the most British.

A long time back I had a Nytech 252 and it was ok. They were rightly criticised back then for build quality but to be fair I never had an issue with mine. I do hope they're changed the build with the new ones and I expect they have as those old one could hardly have been worse. IMO. They're a it limited for me though as I sometimes like to listen to old LP's, 45's and 78 and some old tapes which aren't the best and sometimes need the tone and balance controls to be used so these things are needed.

I've tried squirting but AFAIK the dials in these are a weak point, for example I have the much cheaper Creep 4040 which I've had for longer and it's still working perfectly. I remember talking to someone from Arcam back when they talked to the likes of me and he freely volunteered that the dial were crap. Sadly.

Maybe nice amps but there seem to be things things missing for me from moving coil compatibility to tone and balance controls etc. or at least it's difficult to see if they have these things.
I'm really not sure where you would get tone controls, but you can get a step-up transformer for low output MC s, or even a high output MC that will work through an MM phonostage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Te...m=302929618427&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynavect...=item43f0bb43b0:g:SncAAOSwz35bJAhQ:rk:15:pf:0

I had a step up transformer once but I can't remember what happened to it. I may have bundled it with an amp I sold.

I do like having tone and balance for when they're needed as I think that my gear isn't just for listening to perfect recordings on.

Just a quick update.

I found someone who repairs these as although I used to fix stuff I'm far too busy and stressed to find the bits and do it myself these days but I then decided I would do it myself :D

I wasn't looking forward to finding the bits so I called in some help on that from a contact who sources components for a living and just a few days later I had two what looked like salvaged controls in my hand and after a clean they're fitted and working :D

I might treat myself to something new in the future but at the moment my old amp will do and actually I think it's sounding as good as ever :D but sadly some of my records aren't so my next little project may be to clean them.

Thanks all for your help. I'll take all recommendations on board and read up on what's available these days as I'm obviously out of touch.

I've been into HiFi since I was a teenager but never really spent any money on it , most bought used.

A couple of years ago i read some reviews and spendor came up, never heard of them but the reviews were all excellent .
Bought some used S6e speakers from a guy in blackpool , set them up and whoa, I've been listening to rubbish for decades.
After that I started with amps , again all used but mostly middle of the road until this week when on these very forums a naim UnitiQute was offered.

I thought I can try it , if it's no better I can sell it on.

I have to tell you it's like nothing I've ever heard before , like Naim used these speakers to develop it , people spend £1000 on bose or sonos and think it sounds good , believe me it sounds nothing like proper hifi

Hard to describe but it's like I can hear each individual instrument being played with the vocals over the top.

I've had it since wednesday and it's barely been off, I cant stop listening to it.

My advice for anyone thinking of getting into hifi , buy the best single component you can afford and build a system around it

I've been into HiFi since I was a teenager but never really spent any money on it , most bought used.

A couple of years ago i read some reviews and spendor came up, never heard of them but the reviews were all excellent .
Bought some used S6e speakers from a guy in blackpool , set them up and whoa, I've been listening to rubbish for decades.
After that I started with amps , again all used but mostly middle of the road until this week when on these very forums a naim UnitiQute was offered.

I thought I can try it , if it's no better I can sell it on.

I have to tell you it's like nothing I've ever heard before , like Naim used these speakers to develop it , people spend £1000 on bose or sonos and think it sounds good , believe me it sounds nothing like proper hifi

Hard to describe but it's like I can hear each individual instrument being played with the vocals over the top.

I've had it since wednesday and it's barely been off, I cant stop listening to it.

My advice for anyone thinking of getting into hifi , buy the best single component you can afford and build a system around it

If you have a Richer Sounds nearby ( https://www.richersounds.com/storefinder ) I understand they had/have a good reputation as source for hi-fi gear & advice?

Last edited:
If you have a Richer Sounds nearby ( https://www.richersounds.com/storefinder ) I understand they had/have a good reputation as source for hi-fi gear & advice?

They are, but like photography gear HiFi is a never ending wallet emptying experience so there's plenty of used stuff about that's hardly been used

My hifi as it is now bought new would be around £5000, including the stand I've got around £1500 in it but it still sounds like £5000 worth, like top end lenses as long as it works it has a floor value so unlikely to lose any money if`I want to change any of it.

Buy anything new and you've lost 30% as soon as you walk out of the door with the box

Made in Manchester

Temple Audio Bantam.

Awesome.

All IMO of course

I'm currently looking into the Bantam one with some sort of upgraded power supply.
They certainly get a lot of love on a hifi forum I frequent.
I have an Avondale amp at present which is also fantastic value for money (British) and Graham Audio ls6f speakers (yup, British too).
Not sure if mentioning the hifi forum is OK on here, but I'm happy to pm it to you if you want Alan EDIT - just seen that PFM has already been mentioned so guess it's OK to do so !

Last edited:
Woof Woof; who did you find to fix the amp? Was it Martin Farrance from Redcar? I've used him in the past to fix my old Arcam Alpha 7, which had a previous upgrade.
I've since moved to a Marantz MCR610 all in one box which can do everything. FM/DAB radio, Aux inputs, USB, Internet streaming and also has my Rega P3 turntable plugged through via a Pro-Ject phono stage. I would have loved the NAIM UNITI but it was out of my price range. Theres a great hi-fi shop in Stockton down by the river.

I can't remember who I got a quote off but he wasn't in Redcar.

I ended up fitting controls that someone else got for me which was ok because I'm used to soldering stuff as I fixed computer related stuff for years.

The replacement knobs did develop a crackle after some time but cleaning them with some squirt in cleaning stuff did the trick and they're still in place.

Currently I have a Linn Sondek LP12 with ARCAM amp and cd player, a Dennon cassette deck, a cheap tuner and Tannoy speakers downstairs and a Garrard turntable, Creek 4040 amp, a Sony cd recorder and Monitor Audio speakers upstairs. The tv is plugged into the hifi upstairs too.

The only real change has been that somebody (a woman of course) broke my LP12's moving coil cartridge. I replaced it with a moving magnet and to be honest it seems fine.

I don't think the Arcam stuff of the time (80's) was very well made and the controls were frankly poor. I believe they got better. My Creek which is even older and cost a lot less has never missed a beat. Sadly don't I think Arcam are made in the UK any more but I may be wrong.

I don't know what I'd buy if starting again. I like to buy British but many of the names from back when I was buying seem to have gone or have moved production to China.

Last edited:
Cyrus Audio is a British manufacturer well worth checking out - I have the CDi CD player and the Cyrus 8 integrated amp with external power supply. Love the setup. As well as being manufactured in the UK the Cyrus separates have a clear upgrade path so you can change up for a model higher in the series rather than having to do a replacement - I started off with the CD6 which I upgraded to the CDi (although the “upgrade” involved them sending me a completely new player - bonus!)
Looking at moving to the Stereo 200 power amp next - and then when funds allow add a second one for a bi-amped setup.

a friend of mine brought his shiny new chord qutest dac around for me to try in my system and it was depressingly good
why depressingly good ?
my system is no slouch consisting of a meridian cd transport, cambridge azur 851c dac, krell amplification and kef reference model 4 speakers but that chord dac made quite a difference and it wasn't subtle
the depressing bit is it's 1,200 quid and i can't justify the spend even knowing it will make a worthy improvement

The RME ADi-2 dac/pre-amp is currently around £840, but can be found at times for around £600 (which is what I paid) and it seems to be very highly thought of. There are all sorts of adjustments that an be made (I've not looked at the manual as it sounds perfect to me as it is !)
Having now got a used older version of the Temple Audio Bantam I have to say it is a fantastic amp - I hope to get a new one soon. I use mine as a power amp with the RME handling the inputs etc

Back