Higger Tor Heather

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I went out early on Saturday to try and get a heather shot I have been after for a few years.

I walked up over Higger Tor and down to Carl Wark in time for sunrise. As in previous visits the sunrise was poor and I didn't get an image I was happy with.

On the walk back I pass the Kitkat stones on Higger Tor, as I climbed up to them I could see the early light back over Carl Wark was lovely.

I grabbed a shot of the stones and headed home for breakfast :)

A Journey Through Summer Light by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

That's a lovely image, I can't stop looking at it !! your eye flows through the picture just right imo with plenty of interest all the way, and nice subtle light and tones. Being slightly picky I would have cloned out that stray grass stalk bottom left, but understand why some don't like to do this,

Very nice again. I'd be tempted to make a square crop out of this to simplify the composition (removing a portion at the bottom) but either way you can be very pleased with this.

That's a lovely image, I can't stop looking at it !! your eye flows through the picture just right imo with plenty of interest all the way, and nice subtle light and tones. Being slightly picky I would have cloned out that stray grass stalk bottom left, but understand why some don't like to do this,

Thanks Jack - I did clone another piece of grass that was more prominent in the same area but didn't see the one I left as been too distracting. Its a fair comment though :)

Very nice again. I'd be tempted to make a square crop out of this to simplify the composition (removing a portion at the bottom) but either way you can be very pleased with this.
Thanks - I uploaded a square crop to Instagram earlier :) I am not a great fan of square crops and really wanted the heather to dominate as that was the focus of my trip. I agree that the square crop does bring the further scene more into the view and that is a big plus as the light was great :)

It works better than any other image I have taken as a square crop - its just my dislike of them that stopped me posting one.

Last edited:
Lovely shot Dave. Higger Tor is such a good location, with something in every direction. The heather is tremendous in the peaks at the moment too.

Last edited:
Thanks - I uploaded a square crop to Instagram earlier :) I am not a great fan of square crops and really wanted the heather to dominate as that was the focus of my trip. I agree that the square crop does bring the further scene more into the view and that is a big plus as the light was great :)

It works better than any other image I have taken as a square crop - its just my dislike of them that stopped me posting one.

It works perfectly here - the advantage of it is it brings that fantastic heather-clad view into the fore. Love it

I’m with you on the square crop thing, as a rule I can’t stand them, but that really works. I honestly don’t know which I prefer, they’re both cracking shots. As a countryman born and bred I’m almost ashamed to say I’ve never seen heather moorland in flower, it’s not something you get in my area, so thanks for sharing (I really must venture that way to see it at some point) :)

Back