High Force waterfall.

It's a lovely scene and quite nice composition, but for me the highlights are way too blown out. Sorry.

Cheers for the feedback guys, it's over processed. I should redo my PP efforts as have numerous shots to choose from as was on continuous shooting mode.

Yes, lost detail in highlights and shadows are blocked.
Shadows aren't blocked, blocked means no detail. There is too much detail in the shadows, hence the highlights are blown. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is quite possible :D
It's a nice composition, and I'd like to see some of the other variations that you have Dougie.

Last edited:
Shadows aren't blocked, blocked means no detail. There is too much detail in the shadows, hence the highlights are blown. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is quite possible :D
You do understand that you can have blocked shadows and blown highlights all in the same image don't you? Open the image up in ACR or similar and have a look. You will see lost detail at both ends.

Sorry I've not replied sooner guys. Will upload the raw image of this pic tomorrow and see if you guys can help my PP skills ?

Plenty of detail in that one. Just needs some work. Here's one overdone, just to show you what is there. Sky is close to blown but difficult to avoid given the light. Might want to think about composing without the sky if possible, unless it's adding some interest.
ttttttttttttttttt.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Craig,

In my original I was trying to emphasize the detail of the rock formations (the plaque on the walk down to the waterfall gives all the details, quite a story).

As you say, the sky was horrendous. Was a very dull wet day (I was on my annual car run, this is one of our scheduled meeting points).

Be next year before I give it another go.

Many thanks for your input.

Dougie.

I like the composition, much better than when I was there. Looks like the same weather as when I went last year in October. Nothing more than a dull boring sky. Oh and wet too !!

More on my flickr if you like to take a look.
High Force Waterdall, Teesdale by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

Back