High Force Waterfall

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I've visited High Force about a dozen times over the years and revisited this shot for an upcoming projected image camera comp.

Looking forward to a visit soon with my drone to catch the river flow and over the top.

Cheers,
Dougie.
High_Force_Waterfall_1907.jpg

The link says “without express prior permission” which implies a drone could be possible, though I suspect it’s just lawyer’s wording ;)

The link says “without express prior permission” which implies a drone could be possible, though I suspect it’s just lawyer’s wording ;)

It's like stepping back in time to the old west, there's only one sheriff in town :)

Dougie.

It's also less than half the fall it once was. Look at photos from the 1950s - it used to come over that big promontory... Best viewed from the south bank for free (involves a mile or so of walking)

It's also less than half the fall it once was. Look at photos from the 1950s - it used to come over that big promontory... Best viewed from the south bank for free (involves a mile or so of walking)
It will still do that at times of flood, but Cow Green reservoir further up can regulate about half the flow so it's less flashy.

Ah that explains it — I’ve only been there once and though it was fairly early morning I certainly didn’t pay or have a ticket so I wondered what all the fuss was about :)

High Force used to be free many years ago. You can walk up the other side starting at Low Force and get an alternative view of High Force. Not only is it free all the time you can include Low Force and some landscape shots. Park up at Bowlees which is also free (well it was last time I was there).

High Force
Bowlees - 018 - Sony H5 - 1024.jpg

High Force (top)
Bowlees - 032 - Sony H5 - 1024.jpg

Low Force
High & Low Force - 001 - FP A330 - 1024.jpg

Last edited:
There is also Couldron Snout a bit higher up at Cow Green Reservoir. Are you from the North East? I'm from East Durham.

High Force used to be free many years ago.
I first visited about 1981, there was a charge and the only possible parking space at the pub was to pay for too.
To be fair there is a walkway to it through steep woodland has to be maintained to a good standard for coach parties of all abilities to walk safely down

I first visited about 1981, there was a charge and the only possible parking space at the pub was to pay for too.
To be fair there is a walkway to it through steep woodland has to be maintained to a good standard for coach parties of all abilities to walk safely down

I probably first visited back in the late 50s/early 60s. I did take my kids after they started charging and have been a few times over the last few years.

Just found out the is a £2 'honesty charge' at Bowlees CP, 50p back if you buy something from the cafe. There is Gibsons Cave/Summerhill Force and Low Force within short walking distance.

@Snapper67 Great photo.

Last edited:
If you're in the area, a short hike up to Gibson's cave from the Bowlees car park is well worth it. It depends what you like as it's less dramatic that low or high force but has that slight ethereal charm that some waterfalls have when the conditions are just right.

Back