Captive High ISO Fancy Pigeon

The nay sayers may be correct if it's printed at A3 perhaps?

Perhaps yes, but 95% of my work ends up being posted/shared on t'interweb (as i suspect most others are too), so i'd still say it was fit for purpose, and unless you pixel peep i think it's a bloody good effort for a DX camera at a reasonably high ISO

You're right, that's very good for such high ISO, but unfortunately we don't all take captive birds and 100% crops are often a necessity! This is where the noise shows and becomes a problem.

You're right, that's very good for such high ISO, but unfortunately we don't all take captive birds and 100% crops are often a necessity! This is where the noise shows and becomes a problem.

True enough, but i just keep seeing posts where people bash the high ISO performance of the D7xxx range, and i have always found it to be pretty darn good

I'm also glad you mention the 100% crop as well, as that doesn't often get mentioned when comparing to it's FF cousins, but obviously if taken on FF then the crops would be even higher due to the lack of crop factor

Ok it's never going to rival FF format, but without spending thousands on an FF body and 50% longer fast primes, DX is where it's at for a lot of hobbyists like myself

That's the situation I'm currently in. I have the d7200 and I'm unhappy with the noise but my only options are to put up with it or go with a d810 with high MP so I can crop to 15mp (that's what I'd get with 1.5x crop of a DX) (still pretty good, nearly the same as my old d7000 which served me well for years) and have the low noise of a FF body. Not sure if the difference in noise is worth the price of the d810 though!

Indeed, and what do you think you would get away with realistically with the D810, what sort of stop/ISO advantage do you think it would give (genuinely curious here, as i have never really looked into the difference between the two)

I have dabbled with FF in the past, i bought a D700 to replace my D300, but the lack of reach and extortionate cost of longer fast primes (already had the 300mm f4) meant it was only a 6 month love affair, after which i went back to the crop with the D7100

This fancy thing is a first for me…
very spectacular bird! Thanks.

True enough, but i just keep seeing posts where people bash the high ISO performance of the D7xxx range, and i have always found it to be pretty darn good

I'm also glad you mention the 100% crop as well, as that doesn't often get mentioned when comparing to it's FF cousins, but obviously if taken on FF then the crops would be even higher due to the lack of crop factor

Ok it's never going to rival FF format, but without spending thousands on an FF body and 50% longer fast primes, DX is where it's at for a lot of hobbyists like myself

If you read what has been said carefully, (well not even careful, just read it correctly), the comments relate to large crops of small birds ...... please read what has been reported

Your image is an average shot of a large bird, captive, still on a branch and not a tight crop, it must be one of the easiest shots possible and proves very little and could have been taken with a compact zoom

Last edited:
If you read what has been said carefully, (well not even careful, just read it correctly), the comments relate to large crops of small birds ...... please read what has been reported

Your image is an average shot of a large bird, captive, still on a branch and not a tight crop, it must be one of the easiest shots possible and proves very little and could have been taken with a compact zoom

Yes Bill, i read it and understood it fully the first time round thanks, i'm not sure what you are getting at

What i was saying is that if you are having to use 100% crop on a DX (crop) body, then like for like using the same lens but an FX (FF) body, to get the same shot you would be croping at approx 150%

Also, any expansion on why you call it an average shot

As i say, i was just trying to point out that the D7100 is still perfectly useable above ISO 800 or so (as some people would lead you to believe), irrespective of subject, but as this was a bird i thought i'd post it in the bird section

This fancy thing is a first for me…
very spectacular bird! Thanks.

Cheers Kodiak, i'm glad someone enjoyed it :)

It certainly made me smile what i saw it as i had never seen anything like this before, and there is certainly no chance i would ever get to see one in the wild

Indeed, and what do you think you would get away with realistically with the D810, what sort of stop/ISO advantage do you think it would give (genuinely curious here, as i have never really looked into the difference between the two)

I have dabbled with FF in the past, i bought a D700 to replace my D300, but the lack of reach and extortionate cost of longer fast primes (already had the 300mm f4) meant it was only a 6 month love affair, after which i went back to the crop with the D7100

I haven't really looked myself, just assumed that the d810 would way out perform the d7200. Just doing a bit of research, I can't see enough in it and instead think I will keep just the d7200 and see how much better the d500 turns out to be. If it's a significant jump, I might go for it. If it's not that great, I'll stick with the d7200 and put the money towards a good tripod!

Nice looking bird, I really like the colours on the feathers :)
The D7200 is fine ... all DX and most FX will give you noise in the 'right' circumstances, the thing is what do you do with it?
Some just want the camera to churn out perfect shots whilst others realise that judicious use of noise reduction and other processing from RAW, (note: RAW as in untouched!), will often produce a very presentable image.
Everything in all aspects of life is a trade-off and in DX/FX terms it's exactly the same ... putting my 300 f4 on DX gives me 450 f5.6 which is just great for wildlife and I can take it far longer than that with TC's/in-camera crop if I want to ... the trade-off is that I have to do a little work in processing.
My D810 will give me cleaner images SOOC (like for like) but I lose the reach I get with the D7200 ... another trade-off :)

Back