High ISO verses slow shutter speeds

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday I had a nice day outing the National park............unfortunately due to the thick canopy the light was really not very good......most of these shots were taken at 1/160 f4 and ISO10k+
What do you guys do when the light is bad, stay at home or push the ISO as high as you can?
Neil's-Photography-Sri-Phangnga-National-Park-23012021_0149.jpgNeil's-Photography-Sri-Phangnga-National-Park-23012021_0394.jpgNeil's-Photography-Sri-Phangnga-National-Park-23012021_0530.jpgNeil's-Photography-Sri-Phangnga-National-Park-23012021_0552.jpgNeil's-Photography-Sri-Phangnga-National-Park-23012021_0576.jpg

Lovely shots , it would be nice to visit a park or reserve again your so lucky .. if your really worried about noise try topaz de.noise Ai

I don't like going above 3200 iso for birds 800 is my preferred limit so as to not lose detail but it really is just personal preference ,you did well here for 10k though.
Rob.

if only posting images online on small computer / phone screens you cant see the noise so much.

a real game changer for still subjects handheld was IS in the body and lenses. if your very steady anyway and try hard also then you can use shutter speeds that are far far lower than in the past and keep the ISO`s very low.

As a norm like most photographers we like to shoot birds or anything that moves two times focal length............ I think the fastest shutter speed I could get with ISO 12800 was 1/160 shooting with a Nikon D850 with 600mm f4 wide open. I had the camera sat on a wimberly head which is super steady especially if I rest my left arm on the lens.
On one of the shots I went to f5.6 to try and get two birds in focus at the same time but I was down to 1/60 or something like that so gave up on that idea and went back to f4
Now that I have seen the results I would definitely use ISO12800 as a base especially if you can get close enough to the subject.
Neil

I think if i was shooting at the settings you had to use once i had a few shots and as the birds are on a perch i would then try an even lower shutter speed and lower iso and take a few short bursts sure most may have movement but you could get a few sharp too and as you have a shot you have nothing to lose .

Rob.

I think if i was shooting at the settings you had to use once i had a few shots and as the birds are on a perch i would then try an even lower shutter speed and lower iso and take a few short bursts sure most may have movement but you could get a few sharp too and as you have a shot you have nothing to lose .

Rob.

Yes that would be a good idea.......... never thought of that

Rob.
That would work, but I'd make sure to grab the high ISO shot first.

Back