Highland Cow and Bull added!

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never gone out of my way to get a Highland Cow shot as every self respecting Scottish snapper seems to do but I joined the club on friday.
Sadly mine wasn't freshly washed but scruffy, enjoying the mud and I didn't have a longer lens to hand, it still has some pluses I think?
CC welcome as usual.
Ben Loyal and a heelan coo by andrew simpson, on Flickr

A move to the left, hence placing the cow to the right would have been more pleasing IMO but it works well showing it in its own landscape. :)

I love this photo! I like the composition as well as I get tired of the cookie cutter compositions when following all the "rules". So nice to see individuality. Also like that nothing was made over dramatic with post processing, especially the clouds as they are natural looking here. I think many digital cameras tend to blow the yellow saturation a little high...at least for my eye. So I would reduce the brightness of the yellows some and also the blues to reduce some but not all of the hazing that is letting us know that the mountains are fairly far off. Then up the green saturation a bit to compensate on lowering the yellow brightness. All this will give the photo more layering so there is more distinctness between the foreground and background and make the foreground pop to the front more. Also converted this to B&W and it is very dramatic that way so this is a good shot for that as well. I can post an example with your permission.

I think there's maybe a little more than can be teased out of the sky contrast wise but other than that I really like that nice shot Andy
Cheers Stuart, I'll have a try on the contrast but the sky was pretty flat.
A move to the left, hence placing the cow to the right would have been more pleasing IMO but it works well showing it in its own landscape. :)
I can see that working but I'm not sure if I had that much room, even if I'd thought on it. I'll probably be back so hope the coo is still there.
I love this photo! I like the composition as well as I get tired of the cookie cutter compositions when following all the "rules". So nice to see individuality. Also like that nothing was made over dramatic with post processing, especially the clouds as they are natural looking here. I think many digital cameras tend to blow the yellow saturation a little high...at least for my eye. So I would reduce the brightness of the yellows some and also the blues to reduce some but not all of the hazing that is letting us know that the mountains are fairly far off. Then up the green saturation a bit to compensate on lowering the yellow brightness. All this will give the photo more layering so there is more distinctness between the foreground and background and make the foreground pop to the front more. Also converted this to B&W and it is very dramatic that way so this is a good shot for that as well. I can post an example with your permission.
Thanks for the thoughts and inputs on the processing Bill, I'll certainly try it as I have a few more to go through.
Feel free to post the B&W, Ill look forward to seeing it. Cheers

I think it's a great capture and that rugged mountain range in the background is very special, I've never actually heard of Ben Loyal before but it makes me want to hire a camper-van and travel around the Highlands even more!

If I was to be critical then I'd try a PP grad filter on that sky and have the coo on the right but you captured what you saw which is a very special and Scottish scene.

Nice shot, very natural looking. With my pedantic hat on..........................it's a Bull not a Cow :)

I like the processing and the high vantage point and the ascending range of hills in the bg. Personally the angle/position of the cow is not quite right because he is looking out of frame and relatively close to it, your eye goes round the shot then follow his gaze and bang edge of picture.

I think it's a great capture and that rugged mountain range in the background is very special, I've never actually heard of Ben Loyal before but it makes me want to hire a camper-van and travel around the Highlands even more!
If I was to be critical then I'd try a PP grad filter on that sky and have the coo on the right but you captured what you saw which is a very special and Scottish scene.
Thanks Lyle, It's the far north-west as you're probably aware now and there is some stunning scenery. Well worth a visit.
I agree on the Grad but it was a quick process and I'll try it on one of the others I've to do.

Nice shot, very natural looking. With my pedantic hat on..........................it's a Bull not a Cow :)
AH, bull/coo it had to be one or the udder. :) Afraid my pea-brain looks at the big hill rather than between an animals legs. :)

I like the processing and the high vantage point and the ascending range of hills in the bg. Personally the angle/position of the cow is not quite right because he is looking out of frame and relatively close to it, your eye goes round the shot then follow his gaze and bang edge of picture.
Cheers Craig. I understand what you are saying about the position of the bull and it's gaze,. I'm not trying to be argumentative but if you follow that to it's conclusion would that not end up as a photo of its backside as it would be looking at the hill to lead in your eye?

Last edited:
What about just turning the bull around like this? :LOL: (I'll delete it if you want, but you have Edit my images set to yes, so thought it'd be OK)
Cheers Chris, I do have a problem with the edit, you didn't add udders to correct my sexing of the beast :)

I like the original, it's a cracking take, but the second one is the one mate! Bang on!

P.S I miss Ben Loyal! Might see you soon :D
Cheers bud. Just you stick to Skye and Glencoe! LOL
Just shout if your planning anywhere up here, always good to meet up.

Back