Critique Hill House - Charles Rennie Mackintosh Arts and Crafts house

Mono for me Steve looks even better viewed on Flickr.

Reactions: ST4
Lovely shot,i think i like #1 best(y)

Mono for me too. Not sure why, but the colour has a distracting and fussy quality about it.

Last edited:
It's a bit tight up against the top of the frame for my taste - it needs some room breathe.

Colour version is the better of the two, though if you were to boost the yellows in the b/w version to brighten the trees a tad, I might prefer it.

It's a bit tight up against the top of the frame for my taste - it needs some room breathe.

Colour version is the better of the two, though if you were to boost the yellows in the b/w version to brighten the trees a tad, I might prefer it.

Excellent and I never noticed the tightness of the composition until you mentioned it, its good C&C as I can round there again and compose a little more sympetetically

FWIW, I'd also be tempted to correct the perspective to get the verticals upright, but that is something of an architectural convention.

I don't know whether you can get round the other side of the house to replicate this Mackintosh drawing :)

http://designmuseum.org/__entry/4350?style=design_image_popup

Sort of

_DSC0570
by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

The Gardens quite overgrown, so the excact image you wanted would be quite messy, but I get what you mean.

Re the Verticles, I know, but I've not got the software to fix it. I am having a Lens crisis, I only have the Sigma 10-20 and a 50mm prime. I mainly do landscapes, the Sigma, even at 20mm, can through some odd shapes

Back