Hint Of Light

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Been trawling the hard drive during this period of crap weather just to get my editing fix.

Here's a shot taken at Bamburgh Castle from late last year.

Canon 5D MKII
Tamron 17-35 @ 19mm
f14
0.6 Seconds
ISO 50
Hitech .6 Hard Grad

Bamburgh Castle Dawn by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Can't fault that, full of drama. The nayslayers will harp on that the horizon is the middle, but the sky, foreground all make for a captivating scene. Lovely range of tones.

MY one obversation is the sky is a lot darker than the bottom of the frame. I'd not have used as strong a grad or even a reverse grad if you could have

Meh I think people get "too" hung up on the rule of 3rds. I wish it were called the guideline of 3rds instead of the rule of 3rds, you don't need to literally apply it to every photograph. As for this photograph I think it is fine and even though the rule or 3rds isn't applied to the horizon, one could argue that it is still being applied with regards to the building as it isn't placed dead centre. Overall a very nice piece of photographic work, thumbs up from me. :)

This a lovely image - with very dramatic light both in the sky and reflected on the wet beach. There is a visual narrative to the image and symbolism of an old castle and the light at the end of the day would not be lost on some people viewing it. Personally - I would leave the image as it is and strongly resist comments to alter it in any way whatever
James

It's beautiful.
And the horizon's nowhere near the middle.

Can't fault that, full of drama. The nayslayers will harp on that the horizon is the middle, but the sky, foreground all make for a captivating scene. Lovely range of tones.

MY one obversation is the sky is a lot darker than the bottom of the frame. I'd not have used as strong a grad or even a reverse grad if you could have
Meh I think people get "too" hung up on the rule of 3rds. I wish it were called the guideline of 3rds instead of the rule of 3rds, you don't need to literally apply it to every photograph. As for this photograph I think it is fine and even though the rule or 3rds isn't applied to the horizon, one could argue that it is still being applied with regards to the building as it isn't placed dead centre. Overall a very nice piece of photographic work, thumbs up from me. :)
This a lovely image - with very dramatic light both in the sky and reflected on the wet beach. There is a visual narrative to the image and symbolism of an old castle and the light at the end of the day would not be lost on some people viewing it. Personally - I would leave the image as it is and strongly resist comments to alter it in any way whatever
James
It's beautiful.
And the horizon's nowhere near the middle.

Thanks for taking the time to look everyone. I was worried it might be a bit dark but didn't want to up the exposure too much as it was actually quite dark at the time so it's still an accurate reflection of the scene.

Lovely serene image. Its so easy to get caught up in the harsh dark rocks there and get carried away as theres loads further up the beach for foreground. This looks great, really like it mate

Cheers mate - we'll need to have a jaunt up there soon, schedules permitting.

I'm think it's @ST4 who needs the glasses :)

Yes, its just off central.

Have a read of my comments though. The horizon doesn't both me, the sky, foreground is so full of depth and texture the 2/3rds up or 1/3rds up rule can happily be ignored. Maybe its 5/8 up 9/16ths up, 7/16ths up, I don't really care, its still a strong composition. That was my point.

Cheers mate - we'll need to have a jaunt up there soon, schedules permitting.
Agreed. I'll be going up on the 18th april for sunrise as have a holy island workshop with alan from 12:00 onwards but gonna get up there for sunrise at Bamburgh early doors. Fancy it?

Excellent shot Danny can't believe you hadn't processed it sooner :) love the mood and drama it evokes

Yes, its just off central.

Have a read of my comments though. The horizon doesn't both me, the sky, foreground is so full of depth and texture the 2/3rds up or 1/3rds up rule can happily be ignored. Maybe its 5/8 up 9/16ths up, 7/16ths up, I don't really care, its still a strong composition. That was my point.
It was a lighthearted comment Steve and related to a comment I made on another post to @viv1969, no offence meant :)

Very nice Danny. Good composition and the light/tones work well.

Great atmosphere and I love the sky and reflections. On first viewing I thought the castle was too distant but the more I view it the less I feel that way.

Very nice Danny. Good composition and the light/tones work well.

Great atmosphere and I love the sky and reflections. On first viewing I thought the castle was too distant but the more I view it the less I feel that way.

I think its a corker of a shot, great mood.

Excellent shot Danny can't believe you hadn't processed it sooner :) love the mood and drama it evokes

Thanks for taking the time to look guys, much appreciated!

Agreed. I'll be going up on the 18th april for sunrise as have a holy island workshop with alan from 12:00 onwards but gonna get up there for sunrise at Bamburgh early doors. Fancy it?

I'm there. I'll be in touch to sort out the details - just waiting for my 'Filter Dude' W/A adapter to arrive :)

Back