Critique His Nibs.

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
As the weather outside was grey and dull, I decided to unbox my new D7200 and have a mess about. I quite like this but think maybe I should have been more over the top as some pencils are out of focus. Its my first attempt at anything like this so opinions welcome.
DNG Converted_2 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

TBH pretty much nothing is anything like sharp, and also some of the colours are so saturated that they have lost all definition - you'd be better off blurring it good & hard to make it abstract. If you want to do this sort of thing regularly then you'll need a macro lens (or reversing lens mount if you have a 35/50mm) and a camera mount that allows the camera to be moved toward & away from the subject for multiple shots + focus stacking software.

A few tips on a shot like this. Sharpen all the pencils, make sure all the tips are evenly placed to form an even inner circle. I wouldn't want only half the inside of the hole to be covered, either; all or nothing. You need to work out what you want from the shot before you take it and at macro distances, in order to carry out most briefs you'll need to be in manual focus with a lens that can focus that close.

Back