Hobby

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
How do TP, hope your well.
Thought I'd share a few snaps of a Hobby, I don't know if it's a boy or a girl. Anyone know it's sex?
Today was the first time I have ever seen one and was totally unprepared, I was trying to photograph a Cormorant catching fish then this came along.
If I had the choice, I would of been closer but beggars can't be choosers, not technically perfect but thought I'd share anyhow.

all with 5d3 and 500mmf4 handheld

1/2000~f5~iso200~500mm~focal distance 150metes approx.
original.jpg

1/500~f8~iso200~500mm~fd 56meters approx.
original.jpg

1/500~f8~iso250~1000mm(2x tc)~fd approx 150meters.
What goes in must come out.
original.jpg

Going to return tomorrow, get some practice in and try learn this bird!

Thanks for your thoughts )
I didn't realise what it was doing in number3 when looking through the lens, it's only when I got home and view it on big screen I noticed it was having a private moment. Shocked it came out tbh, I think about then I was holding my breath and blue in the face holding that monstrosity :LOL: think a tripods in order for today, you watch, I will lug the tripod out to it and it won't show!

I can't agree with those above that this a great set.
There appears to be some artifacting/halo-ing happening as well - particularly in #1 & #3 - probably from being over sharpened and it ruins the images.
How heavily cropped are these? - my educated guess is that it would be fairly heavily, which doesn't help.

Thanks for your honest thoughts, I thrive on positive helpful crit.
Like mentiond in first post, not technically perfect for the very reasons you mention plus a few more I could add. Heavily cropped and over sharpend I agree, these were shot out of a hide window no taller than the width of lens, had around 2cm clearance top to bottom and around 60cm left to right to try track this bird so far from ideal! With the negative points aside I'm well happy with them considering, a benchmark to improve upon. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Back