Hockey

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I photographed a local hockey game a few weeks back and have been welcomed back to shoot this coming weekend again which is very pleasing.

Never took pictures of hockey before but it was a brilliant and exciting new challenge, made for some great spectating too.

This is one from the ladies 1st team who I will be covering this weekend again too.

Only niggle being the oof white player, I couldn't crop any tighter without being virtually on the maroon players head!

D300 + 300mm 2.8

20151103133025_dsc_9597-3.jpg

Last edited:

You drove all Canadians interested with you title…
this is grass hockey, real hockey is on ice!
EVERY CANADIAN KNOWS THAT!

Did you get more?

lol told you I was new to hockey photography ;)

Where I am in the UK we refer to it simply as hockey in conversation so I guess I didn't think I may confuse other nations.

I have got others but not ones I was overly happy with

20151017115830-b57c40b2-me.jpg

20151018132709-85506198.jpg

Sorry about the copyright I did share them on the team page so just watermarked them for that

Ok, UK hockey!

Cheers David,

Yes I was gutted I couldn't work the the first one more, the oof white player just spoils it overall, never mind I know what to aim for next time it's just making sure I have a clear field.

Hopefully will post some from saturday's fixtures

You could possibly make a squarer crop of the first. If you cropped to the OOF players elbow then clone out the remaining part of the leg you may have something you can work with.

Could you not vertically crop her out of the photo? It'll make it a bit tight but maybe worth a go.

You could clone her out in PS - would take about 5 minutes and you'd keep the original aspect ratio.

Also known as field hockey

Nice shots. I take hockey pics occasionally of my son but am usually limited to being behind fences etc so find it hard to get good angles - that and I I feel I am missing more by not actually watching the game so probably miss the better shots.

Thanks for the comments much appreciated indeed.

Darkman, these were all took standing up. Lower would be awesome but never thought to try through the green mesh fence. I find hockey very fast and furious so makes for a demanding photo shoot that's for sure, but its very rewarding

Thanks for the comments much appreciated indeed.

Darkman, these were all took standing up. Lower would be awesome but never thought to try through the green mesh fence. I find hockey very fast and furious so makes for a demanding photo shoot that's for sure, but its very rewarding
If the club have asked you to take photos - ask if you can be inside the fence. I shoot for my local club and as long as the umpires are happy, you'll get better angles from inside. I always check with both teams that they're happy for me to take pics - and always check that there aren't any young players who can't be photographed.
Great pics by the way ;-)

Thanks Percy, I will look into it.

Yes I have found out they are hot on the photographing of younger players, best checking with both teams to save any problems :)

Where was that Chris looks biblical lol!?!

My football match got cancelled so no shooting that, just did the hockey and came home, got one big downpour but that was it was right contrast in weather; harsh light to cloud to rain to harsh sun again haha. I love it though all adds to the fun and challenge

Back