Hog Hunting

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in the area last week, while staying with a friend, and we knew the Hogs had arrived at Leeming last Monday evening, so we thought we'd try to catch them flying, the following day.

Five aircraft took off for live firing and familiarisation on Otterburn Ranges, so it was a very successful day. It was particularly good for me, as I had never seen a Hog before, with my own eyes.

Taxi

Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II by James Mintram, on Flickr

Take off

First group RTB, breaking in to the circuit

Second group RTB, breaking in to the circuit

Commencing final approach

Certainly one of the more interesting warbirds.

You mention live firing exercise.......some of wing pylons look emptier on the RTB but such an exercise got me wondering. As tank busters in the Iraq war they used depleted uranium munitions, so are they permitted to use that type of round on live fire training and if so also here in the UK.........personally I hope not!

'Live firing' was GAU-8 only. You could see the armourers loading the guns, if you used binoculars.
With regards to what was loaded in to the gun, that's anybody's guess. However, most of the time, only the blue training rounds are used. HEI/API is more expensive to shoot so is typically only used once it's expired and can't be taken to war, any more, to avoid wasting it.
To answer the question, yes, they are permitted to use that ammunition on the ranges. I don't suspect the depleted uranium is significant - you'd do more long term damage to the environment by driving to the base to watch them take off, and land.

Last edited:

The A10 is one fellow I wouldn't
want to meet in the back alley!

My pick is #4! (y)
…though a DRL tweak…

Excellent set, my favourite aircraft ;)

Back