Holiday in Scotland

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
We just come back from our annual holiday in the Scottish Highlands and this was by far the best yet, seen so much while there and below are some of my favourites of the trip (all these were taken through the glass window at the rear of the cabin we were in which backs onto a forest)

First up is a series of Red Squirrel images, we could sit there all day watching these when they came down, such characters
Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

This Pine Marten would visit during the evening and take food from the bird feeders/log so spent a few nights working out how to get a photo without disturbing it so finally managed this one with the light from the porch so its not the best but its a great record of our sighting and again this is behind the glass of our front room
Pine Marten by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Then the star of the week for us even more so than Pine Martens which I did not think we could top was this Weasel who turned up on our last day and went hunting for the wood mice in the area behind the cabin
Weasel (Mustelidae (Mustela nivalis) by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Weasel with Wood Mouse (Mustelidae (Mustela nivalis) by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

It was a fantastic 2 weeks where we seen over 30 speicies of birds from Golden Eagles and White Tailed Sea Eagles during the Loch Shiel Cruise, Black Grouse at RSPB Corrimony and other wildlife like otters in the local sea lochs, without doubt the best holiday we ever had.

Fantastic set, where did you stay ?
We are off to Torridon in a fortnight....

Lovely sets of the normally elusive creatures.

Thanks for sharing :)

Fantastic set of images.
The weasel with the wood mouse is amazing, and shows how small but deadly weasels are.
The red squirrel is so cute!
Well caught, all.

Thank you for the comments we stay in a small village called Acharacle around 1hr West of Fort William

Great shots, Scotlands always delivers . The red squirrel perched on the small branch , I love

Excellent shots all of them, my particular favourites being the squirrel perched on the branch and the weasel with its supper. We're up to Wester Ross fairly soon but we've never seen a red squirrel. Not even at our stopover at Loch of the Lowes on the way up. I think they've gone to bed by the time we get there. We get otters where we stay, sea eagles nest just a few miles away and we've seen golden eagles on our walks into the hills.

Back