Holidays - the downside :(

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
What do you HATE about going away on holiday? Coming home doesn't count!

For us it's taking the cat to her hotel the day before (yup, sat here missing her and we only dropped her off an hour ago...) She always comes back stinking of perfume from the cuddles she gets so we know she's not allowed to get too lonely but the plaintive meowing all the way there really lays the guilt on with a trowel!

Packing!!

Actually, ETA, HIS packing!! Mine is always easy, I can have it done in half an hour but the days of 'what to take', and folding, refolding, repacking, and general umming and ahing from he who shall remain nameless drives me mad! :eek:

Last edited:
I haven't had one for five years.
I'd be happy to find a downside!!

The wife laying down the law before we go, "oo don't buy that to wear", "you need 50 tshirts" , " what about some nice long pants" **** off woman it's 100 degrees in the shade !!!!!!!!!

Flying. The end!!

For me, I think its the laid-back attitude of others :D

Im a natural worryer when it comes to holidays. Did we do this, did we do that, have we forgotten anything. Ive only checked that the passports are in my inside pocket 18 times etc etc etc...

Winds me up when other arent so worried :rolleyes:

I like both ends of the flights but the bit in the middle is just boring! At least we've got a couple of flicks each to watch on tablets this year. Hopefully by September, DVD copying will be legal and there'll be easy to use software to do the ripping... (Actually, it might even be legal now - June 1st was a date bandied about a while back. Too late for this holiday but maybe for the Autumn one...)

For me its the jetlag/travel there and back. We go on holiday once a year to china to visit the wifes family. From getting up until arriving its a 20+ hour trip including 14 & a half hour's flying with two kids 5 and 3. Dont think ive ever slept for more than 2 hours on any of the trips. The return always seems longer and more jetlaged too. Was told its to do with which way the time changes but dont know how true that is.

I'll join the 'not had one in years' gang.. That's a downside in itself :p

Sent from Button Moon.....

For me, I think its the laid-back attitude of others :D

Im a natural worryer when it comes to holidays. Did we do this, did we do that, have we forgotten anything. Ive only checked that the passports are in my inside pocket 18 times etc etc etc...

Winds me up when other arent so worried :rolleyes:
I agree. I always leave far too much time to get to the airport and then have to put up with the family moaning about why did we leave so early.

wish i could afford a furring one again ,its hard on a pension when you have expensive other needs like cameras and lenses tempting you all the time :naughty: now reduced to going away in our caravan as the main hols where it used to be the for the fill in holidays ...:whistle:

Could someone remind me exactly what is this holiday thing you speak of? The last time I went away that wasn't was my sisters wedding in Ireland about 10 years ago....well there was 4 weeks in central London in 2010 but I don't think I can count St Thomas' as a holiday, I will concede it is however a very nice hospital :LOL:

Taking the Mrs always seems to put a sulky twist on things when i refuse to be seen going into £ shops :bat:

Airports. Especially the staff. Faceless morons with a sense of humour bypass. Just because they have a high vis jacket and ID badge doesn't stop them being polite, and I don't mean the forced politness of a "Please sir" that means do it or else. Look at them wrong and you're off the plane. OK, they've seen it all a million times before but for most of us it's an infrequent experience. If they can't lighten up they shouldn't be in the job.

If there is so much effort put into anti terrorism measures behind the scenes - e.g. pasports are checked way in advance - why do they treat us all as potential threats?

Seeing the antics of other Brits on holiday!

:plus1: Especially when it is football time.

The constant worry of coming home to a burgled house.

Other than the cat and wife who will be either with me or in cat hotel, everything is easy enough to replace and is insured. Don't want to be burgled but the thought of it happening doesn't keep me awake while we're away!

Hollidays I hate the traffic congestions on the roads especially if you are heading out or back into a big city.

Vacations are another thing all together - I like it all.
I used to love flying - that is before we did a few around the world airline trips. Now I just regard the flights as a time machine - step into one and pop out in a very different world a few (sometimes lots) of hours latter.
In our first vacation without the children we were worried about leaving our 19 year old son at home - That problem was solved when we rang him from about 8300 miles away on our first full free day and he said the only problem was that the cat wouldn't do as he was told!

I hate flying.
(From someone who has worked in aicraft production for nearly 18 years)

To say i hate flying slightly wrong... I just dont trust some of the people putting the aircraft together...
I will fly on the ones I have worked on.

Another non holiday partaker here. The rest of the family have holidays, I stay at home with the cat. :) Other than having the odd day here and there to do something, I could quite happily do without the majority of the 30 days annual holiday I get let alone all the bank holidays.

I'm going away for a long weekend at the end of the month for the first time in years, and I see the downsides as very limited. Time spent travelling is one. Not too bothered about burglars, once they see my place they'll think I've already been turned over.

I can't think of a single negative. I love travelling and make the journey part of the adventure. You don't have to bury yourself in books, ipads etc.

Back