Holidays - the downside :(

Never have holidays so I skip any of the downsides.

Much the same here, I suffer with homesickness quite terribly so I tend not to bother with going away on holiday, I wouldn't know where to put myself half the time.

Holidaymakers, noise and crowds
Cottage in the middle of nowhere suits me down to the ground, no TV,internet or mobile signal wouldn't be a problem either.

Travelling. I hate the travelling with a passion. Motorways, airports, cities ... all do my head in.

Travelling. I hate the travelling with a passion. Motorways, airports, cities ... all do my head in.

So vary the route, explore everywhere, people watch at airports, street photography, cities, go of the beaten path and see what you find...
I see it all as an adventure

So vary the route, explore everywhere, people watch at airports, street photography, cities, go of the beaten path and see what you find...
I see it all as an adventure

Nope, hate it with a passion, can't stand being around crowds so going through any kind of people hub is a real PITA! As Rich said above, quiet cottage in the middle of nowhere for me...preferably connected solely by B roads!

I'm with Byker it's all a great adventure love it all:)
Only slight niggle is hand baggage weight allowance it's a pain trying to get a camera long lens or two and laptop down to 7kg, my missus always carries some of my gear :D

Only slight niggle is hand baggage weight allowance it's a pain trying to get a camera long lens or two and laptop down to 7kg, my missus always carries some of my gear :D

I just tell them it's expensive camera equipment in a size appropriate bag and it's going on board with me.

Holidays just get in the way of gym time. ;)

Holidaymakers, noise and crowds
Cottage in the middle of nowhere suits me down to the ground, no TV,internet or mobile signal wouldn't be a problem either.

A 'holiday' doesn't just mean go to a crowded resort, just pick the right place for you :)

Like maybe this one (y) but that ain't cheap! wonder if they do discount for members :thinking:

Can't really think of any downsides myself, I enjoy the whole thing. My wife is a very nervous flyer though, Gin is the answer there :beer:.

Nope, hate it with a passion, can't stand being around crowds so going through any kind of people hub is a real PITA! As Rich said above, quiet cottage in the middle of nowhere for me...preferably connected solely by B roads!
Yup, I live in a quiet cottage in the middle of nowhere, suits me fine, I'm self employed so no payed hols,I take odd days off when I want, can't stand hotels, I had enough of them whilst traveling to play music, I like my home and my stuff about, I'm always on holiday.

I thought having a laptop would also be a great idea until my wife said you will be vacationing without me!
She does carry a bit of my gear, on the flights.

I thought having a laptop would also be a great idea until my wife said you will be vacationing without me!
She does carry a bit of my gear, on the flights.

Yes I dont get away with doing much with the laptop but it is handy for backing up shots and I never seem to have enough memory cards:)

Last edited:
Knowing my boss has a spare set of keys to my house and garage...He's a bigger kid than I am.

Yes I dont get away with doing much with the laptop but it is handy for backing up shots and I never seem to have enough memory cards:)
32Gb sandisk extreme 90Mb/sec was £89 at heathrow in March. You can never have too much :)

Slapping sun screen on and waiting days after day for a tan only to lose patience and go out for a few hours without anything on and end up burnt. Happens every time.

To say i hate flying slightly wrong... I just dont trust some of the people putting the aircraft together...
I will fly on the ones I have worked on.

My father in law worked for Freddy Laker in the 1970s. There were a few airlines he wouldn't fly with. One of them came into his stores once for some 2" wide tape which they used on some loose body panels. One of the aircraft from the same airline (which will remain anonymous) once left an engine mounting bolt on the runway as it took off.

Take off and landing's OK the bit in the middle is boring as hell though.

I agree with that. Before 2005 the only aircraft I had flown in was a Tiger Moth (an experience in itself). The first time I went on a commercial aircraft, I couldn't believe the acceleration from standstill at takeoff. If I owned one I wouldn't go anywhere, I would just be constantly taking off and landing!

Steve.

Last edited:
I can happily cope with the journey TO where I am going - but the way back is a real PITA!!

The greatest downside of this last week of ours - the weather was sort of OK at best....as soon as we got home - sunshine and warmth. A real kicker!

I'm a school teacher, so whilst I have a lot of time off from work - going away I'm always near kids and it's always expensive...

Downside is hand carry allowance. Never enough to bring my camera kit with me. If they weigh it I'm screwed

Back