home cinema ?

If you go to Bristol in February to the sound and vision show you’ll be able to see for yourself. Some of the ones I’ve seen there for about 3-5k are amazing.

Amazing picture quality these days
Even the 1080p which are very reasonably priced produce a great picture.
Optoma UHD40 is great value for £1100.

Last edited:
I have a budget BenQ projector that’s a few years old, but I’m still staggered by how good the image is.

You have to set your expectations realistically though. A projector will not offer the same picture quality as a television. It will not offer either the
brightness levels or contrast that you can get from a modern flat screen television. This may be important if you intend to watch a projector in a
environment that has lots of ambient light.

Other things to bear in mind is that you get a projector whose lens has the correct ‘throw distance’ for the room in which you intend to use it in.
Other than the light source, projectors have two different underlying technologies DLP or LCD (which includes DILA and SXRD) which offer slightly different
image characteristics. I find the DLP models give a slightly more vivid ‘punchy’ image whilst LCD is a little more film like. There are pro’s and con’s to either
approach. If you are considering a 4K UHD capable projectors, it is important to know that they do not do HDR (which is a key feature of 4K UHD) anywhere
near as well as 4K UHD television’s do.

A reasonable quality projector, which need not be ridiculously expensive, set up correctly and used in a suitable room can offer superb picture quality, though try
to route the sound externally as any inbuilt speaker tends to be next to useless.

I’d suggest popping over to AV Forums doing a bit of reading and asking questions over there.

Also, be aware if choosing a DLP projector, that some people experience a "rainbow" effect. Therefore, if possible, view a projector that uses the DLP tech, before looking at that tech as an option.

Also, be aware if choosing a DLP projector, that some people experience a "rainbow" effect. Therefore, if possible, view a projector that uses the DLP tech, before looking at that tech as an option.

This is very true. That said, I have viewed a few dozen DLP projectors over the years and have never noticed the ‘rainbow effect’ nor have any of my friends
who are Home Cinema enthusiasts. I’d suggest, if at all possible, viewing any projector that may be on your shortlist before buying or least have the option of returning it
if you’re not happy with it.

Back