Home Insurance and 2nd hand gear..

Proof of ownership is more like what you'd need surely? Photograph the stuff you want to record and the serial numbers if any and keep them safe.

Reactions: BBR
As alot of us do I buy most of my gear 2nd, and after I found someone had tryed to break in through my patio doors last night I got to thinking.

What if I WAS burgled and my gear taken ? I have no proof of purchace so how would my home insurance work ?

We had our garage broken into around twenty years ago, and a second hand set of Mizuno golf clubs plus bag was stolen, along with tools and a compressor. I told the insurance company that the clubs were second hand, but they replaced them with a new set of the equivalent clubs - tour proven forged blades. They simply told me to go to the local club and get sized up for them, which I did, and then a week later I collected them.
I had no proof of purchase, but on the other hand, it was the first time I had ever used my home insurance.

Proving ownership without receipts is not necessarily straightforward. Photos of stuff are evidence that the photographer had access to the stuff, but on their own they don't say anything about who the photographer was, or when or where the photos were taken, or whether the photographer's access to the stuff was permanent or just temporary.

But if you specifically think about how you might overcome those sorts of objections, it can be doable.

Proof of ownership is more like what you'd need surely? Photograph the stuff you want to record and the serial numbers if any and keep them safe.

yeah this basically, take loads of pics and especially the serial number and stick it in the cloud.
if you realy want to print out the details of the purchase and make your own receipt up with the buyers details name and address and bank details and file it away. that's what I do for used stuff of certain value but my insurance doesn't require me to for items under £1k

Last edited:
I have a document with every peiece of equipment photographed well, showing serial numbers and where possible serial numbers. Where the gear was bought second hand iveincluded the relative thread/post/handwritten receipt. This is everything from my biggest lens to smallest SD card. Basically imtrying to cover a 'total loss' type of issue.

My insurance company covers on new for old and this includes the gear i bought used to be begin. I have lodged the document with them so they have a copy at all times. Makes it easier when you travel and may not have the info to hand.

Was the work of an evening but i slept easier after :D

I asked my household insurance provider about this and they said "utmost good faith" applies (or uberrimae fidei , if you like Latin), if I tell them what's been stolen then they'll replace it, whether purchased new or second hand, proof of purchase not required.

The legislative position has changed since that conversation took place, as Carter vs Boehm from 1766 which established the concept of good faith in contracts of insurance is no longer the guiding case law for consumer contracts of insurance, it has been superseeded by statute (but that now requires less good faith from consumers as insurers now have to ask questions rather than relying on proposers to volunteer relevant information).

EDIT - I use a relatively expensive insurer (Hiscox), not a "get on a comparison site and see who's cheapest" kind of insurer that insists you list everything in your house worth more than twenty quid, so it is as well to check with whoever you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
I have a document with every peiece of equipment photographed well.... everything from my biggest lens to smallest SD card. Basically imtrying to cover a 'total loss' type of issue.
Good thinking.

Have you also done the same for everything in the house? The real 'total loss' scenario is if the house burns down, and in that situation your camera gear probably isn't a major concern.

We did this exercise a couple of years ago, working out some rough valuations to check whether we had enough cover, and we found that:
* the contents of my wife's wardrobe would cost more to replace than my camera gear (no real surprise);
* the contents of *my* wardrobe would cost more to replace than my camera gear (shocking but true);
* the contents of the kitchen cupboards would cost more to replace than my camera gear;
and so on, and so on.

Photograph *everything*.

when you do house and contents insurance you just need to be realistic, insurance companies are not out to rip you off, they know how much stuff people have in houses and do not expect every receipt. I recently rejigged my insurance and added another £20k on to the total contents figure which takes it to £90k when special items were added on, it still only cost £280/year and that is with 2xrolex watches for myself and wife covered away from home and accidental damage.

most people are probably woefully under insured.

This is something I've been thinking about since we recently upgraded a lot of gear, all of it second hand from here/ebay/facebook groups. I'm seeing my insurance broker on Friday to increase the level of cover as I don't think it comes anywhere near what I need now. In preparation I did a spreadsheet of serial numbers, took a photo of all the items laid out together, and where possible took a screen shot of the payment for the item. I've been told this will be ok.

Good thinking.

Have you also done the same for everything in the house? The real 'total loss' scenario is if the house burns down, and in that situation your camera gear probably isn't a major concern.

We did this exercise a couple of years ago, working out some rough valuations to check whether we had enough cover, and we found that:
* the contents of my wife's wardrobe would cost more to replace than my camera gear (no real surprise);
* the contents of *my* wardrobe would cost more to replace than my camera gear (shocking but true);
* the contents of the kitchen cupboards would cost more to replace than my camera gear;
and so on, and so on.

Photograph *everything*.

I've done the same proces for all of the things we care about such as computers, jewellery my partners equestrian stuff etc. Again this is all held with the policy. Beyond that i didn't lodge the value with the insurance company for things like sofas or pots and pans. Having said that we did a cost of replacment exercise and have ensured we have adequatly covered the contents in the event of fire/flood/collapse etc.

I tend to operate a worst case scenerio brain. My photography is backed up to other itnernal drives, NAS in my house, NAS in another location and a cloud service :)

Serial numbers recorded. It's how the police recovered my sat nav when it was stolen from the car

Just be aware that if you have,say, £100k of contents and only £50k cover and you had a £20k loss you would likely only be paid 10k. Insurance co s call this averaging, and would say you were only 50 per cent insured thus only getting 50 pc of claim.

I had to make a claim in November for damage to used camera and lens. Was asked to provide evidence of ownership. I had taken photos of my gear some time ago with serial numbers showing (would suggest everyone does this anyway). I also sent raw files (with exif) of the first shot I took with my camera and the last and offered to send any of the 3000 in between just in case there was any questions over it. I also had boxes, chargers etc. Had photos of me with camera and lens in hand. Managed to trace related paypal transactions too. Nothing on its own was proof but I guess the combination of all of those things removes any doubt on the insurer's part.

Just be aware that if you have,say, £100k of contents and only £50k cover and you had a £20k loss you would likely only be paid 10k. Insurance co s call this averaging, and would say you were only 50 per cent insured thus only getting 50 pc of claim.
I'm not sure it works like that, surely thats for total loss, although it's worth checking amounts. I had to specifically list items over £500 value, but in doing so it also covers them outside teh house.

Last edited:
Just check that all risks are covered. Many years ago I dropped a camera whilst on holiday and my home insurance wouldn’t pay as I was over seas and my holiday insurance should pay, they said NO it’s Home insurance. So I always ask.

Back