Home insurance

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
After years with Hiscox (buildings and content) they're bumping the premium up this year by 15%, up to £1K

Frustrating phone call with a snake oil salesman at the other end of the phone... "other providers will put you up in a B&B 12 miles away, we'll rent you a similar property" etc, resorting to 'scare tactics' to sell their renewal. Very unprofessional - more making to high pressure cold caller than supposedly a top rated insurer.

Couple of questions - have Hiscox changed their business model or was I unlucky just to get an obnoxious twonk on the other end of the line? and recommendations? I want someone who doesn't require an intricate knowledge of which brand of locks my windows have!

I bank with Halifax and for the last few years have gone with them, simple online application and their premium cover takes all the guess work out. The question don't seem anywhere as complicated as when I used to have to speak to a "snake oil salesperson" I also got a discount for online application and cash back.

My dad swears by M&S but you have to cancel and renew online each year or they up their prices on you, daft thing is they will not renew on the phone to the online price, so you cancel, get the better price and a £50 voucher !!

We get a great deal with John Lewis. Buildings & contents without any silly questions.

I'm with AXA. Not the cheapest but when my neighbour and I both had to claim for new gutters after storm damage, which was my first ever claim due to the heights and materials involved, AXA paid the full quote and did so within 7 days. My neighbour's budget brand insurer paid only a third of the quote and took over three weeks to pay out.

My in-laws are with AXA, when their house was ransacked many years ago and AXA paid out in full and did so quickly. I think it was a hefty amount paid out due to a lot of jewelry and the police actually caught the guys and they eventually got all their stuff back as well.

That's enough for me to stay with them even if it does cost a hundred or so more than the cheapest.

A thousand quid for home and contents??!!! Blimey, do you live in a castle or something?? :oops: :$:oops: :$Shop around, you’ll get a much cheaper deal. Ours was under £300 with Direct Line last year for a 4 bed semi, including accidental cover and all the bells and whistles.

They all bump their premiums after a year to catch the people who can’t be bothered to look for a better deal. I’ve used the Martin Lewis site to get quotes and just picked the company that gets the best customer feedback. I’ve never been asked what specific type of window locks etc etc, just general things “do you have locking windows” or “have you got a serviced alarm system”.

Last edited:
Try Aviva, I have just renewed mine and its actually gone down , OK only by 60p but its better than the increase that I usually get

A thousand quid for home and contents??!!! Blimey, do you live in a castle or something?? :oops: :$:oops: :$Shop around, you’ll get a much cheaper deal. Ours was under £300 with Direct Line last year for a 4 bed semi, including accidental cover and all the bells and whistles.

They all bump their premiums after a year to catch the people who can’t be bothered to look for a better deal. I’ve used the Martin Lewis site to get quotes and just picked the company that gets the best customer feedback. I’ve never been asked what specific type of window locks etc etc, just general things “do you have locking windows” or “have you got a serviced alarm system”.

Direct Line is very good and for motor insurance too. We have both home and motor insurance with them. In both instances we were with Churchill and saved a lot going with DL despite DIrect Line group owning Churchill..as they say in the US..go figure. After the first year I accept increases of about £10-15. One year More Than bumped up the premium on the house by £70 and couldn’t give me a good reason.

In January and February 2014 the UK was hit by a series of hurricane -force winds. A heavy roof ridge tile was dislodged,carried across 3/4 the length of the roof and down onto my wife’s car on the drive. She’s a named drive on my car and they immediately added £50 to MY insurance. When I complained pointing out that it didn’t involve driving error the person I spoke to said “ a claim is a claim” when it came to renewal I left them.

As an aside..When I get the paperwork I always call to tell them I don’t want auto renewal. That option doesn’t show with online purchase and if you speak to a customer care person they won’t ask you.

A grand might be high, or it might not, depends on lots of things. It's impossible to say you are being ripped off or not and shop around you will get it for £300 with company X. But do call round or visit their websites. JL weren't too bad when we renewed this year having been with another company for 3 years.

Back