Home made feeding perch...

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Was at a loose end today so I used and old branch that I found down the beach and made a feeder perch.
I can place it in the garden with the bushes in the background and hopefully get some shots.
I can position it so I can sit in the garage and shoot out the side door.
20190503_175046_resized.jpg

20190503_175049_resized.jpg

20190503_175055_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a champion effort :)

A quick question please about how attached ~ right angle brackets...? I can see the metal bracket securing it to the post but how is the bracket attached to the branch, as from the angle shot it seems almost the same size(?) as the post? Also, do I surmise there is another such bracket 180 degrees over side..............................just spotted the screw heads at 90 degrees ;)

Hope that makes and you might be able to throw some light on the securing of the branch to the post :)

Looks like a champion effort :)

A quick question please about how attached ~ right angle brackets...? I can see the metal bracket securing it to the post but how is the bracket attached to the branch, as from the angle shot it seems almost the same size(?) as the post? Also, do I surmise there is another such bracket 180 degrees over side..............................just spotted the screw heads at 90 degrees ;)

Hope that makes and you might be able to throw some light on the securing of the branch to the post :)
I used the angle brackets and screwed then to the bottom of the branch so the 4 downwards sections formed a square that then slipped over the post.
Hope that makes sense. :)

20190503_185304_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I used the angle brackets and screwed then to the bottom of the branch so the 4 downwards sections formed a square that then slipped over the post.
Hope that makes sense. :)

Yup (y) makes sense ~ the branch is enough bigger to have a couple (or more of) screws per angle bracket and the brackets "wrap/hug" the post.

PS I hope not too top heavy for the base..................though surely nothing that a few bricks won't compensate for.

PPS I look forward to seeing your posts(no pun intended ;) ) & reports as to the visitors attracted & photographed :)

PPPS (phew!) ~ thanks for the extra illustrative photo, great effort.

Last edited:
Yup (y) makes sense ~ the branch is enough bigger to have a couple (or more of) screws per angle bracket and the brackets "wrap/hug" the post.

PS I hope not too top heavy for the base..................though surely nothing that a few bricks won't compensate for.

PPS I look forward to seeing your posts(no pun intended ;) ) & reports as to the visitors attracted & photographed :)
It's steady enough but I might make a wider base.
I've got an old pallet that my turf came on so could use the wood from that.

I got an "assemble it yourself" stand so that I could re-position the trail cam in the garden and had in mind what you have done....................you have inspired me to try it as I have various lumps of wood about that we kept after some tree work :)

Looks good can't wait to see what you get Bob :)
Thanks.
I get mainly sparrows and blue tits, but there's 2 pairs of goldfinches that use the niger seed feeders that I'd like to get some shots of.
I've moved one of the niger feeders onto the new stand so fingers crossed they'll use it.

Looks good, Robert. Some holes drilled and filled with suet or peanuts would offer food in a more natural looking setting.

Dave

Great idea, inspires me to look around the woods later for dead branches

Tis a great effort Bob but maybe a tad too permanant : The problem with bigger perches like this is after an amount of time you'll have a goodly few snaps and then want to vary said perch. i've sort of done something similar a while back ,hence the conclusion. That said being the devious sod I am I clamp smaller "pretty twigs" maybe a bit of blossom catkins etc etc to me big more permanant log...... get the birdies to land on that and then all my images don't look like they were taken in the exact same place same perch. I know it's a bit of a blag,but bird togs are such fussy sods,one has to try and keep ahead of the game as it were.;) I guess with the vogue for clean bkgs bird on stick images essentially are a bird and a stick,so no harm in going for the most attractive type of stick to enhance the beauty sitting atop that stick.

Tis a stoking effort though:)

stu

Tis a great effort Bob but maybe a tad too permanant : The problem with bigger perches like this is after an amount of time you'll have a goodly few snaps and then want to vary said perch. i've sort of done something similar a while back ,hence the conclusion. That said being the devious sod I am I clamp smaller "pretty twigs" maybe a bit of blossom catkins etc etc to me big more permanant log...... get the birdies to land on that and then all my images don't look like they were taken in the exact same place same perch. I know it's a bit of a blag,but bird togs are such fussy sods,one has to try and keep ahead of the game as it were.;) I guess with the vogue for clean bkgs bird on stick images essentially are a bird and a stick,so no harm in going for the most attractive type of stick to enhance the beauty sitting atop that stick.

Tis a stoking effort though:)

stu
Cheers Stu,

I know what you mean.
I've already thought about ways to alter it.
The large branch that is there just now is very easily removed from the stand if required.
It won't be difficult to add other branches etc.
My main aim just now is to get the birds used to it then I can start adapting it etc. :)
I've got a few ideas for altering the background as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Good shots, Robert. I find the background in the third one distracting but as your perch is moveable it would be easy to organise a simpler one.

Really like the second one with the rain.

Dave

Good shots, Robert. I find the background in the third one distracting but as your perch is moveable it would be easy to organise a simpler one.

Really like the second one with the rain.

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I actually like the background in the third one because its colourful and different.
The intention was to shoot from my garage which means I'd be shooting in the opposite direction, and the background would be a large green Bush.
Yesterday was just an opportune moment as the bird was on top waiting for the other 2 to move off the feeder hanging on the other side.

Last edited:
Good effort Bob. One of the things I've struggled with at my hide is how to fix the perches, I ended up using an old garden seat swing frame and a crossbar. I fix the perches to the crossbar with carefully placed cable ties. It's easy then to change perches when the algae/moss/lichen die off.

I'm yet to figure out a good way of placing thin, twiggy perches.

Good effort Bob. One of the things I've struggled with at my hide is how to fix the perches, I ended up using an old garden seat swing frame and a crossbar. I fix the perches to the crossbar with carefully placed cable ties. It's easy then to change perches when the algae/moss/lichen die off.

I'm yet to figure out a good way of placing thin, twiggy perches.
Because mines' is wood I've hammered in some fence nails and I can cable tie branches to it for a different look.

20190630_103552.jpg

Bob love the goldies the first so inquisitiive the second just cracking with the rain both really cool images well exposed detail looks great

Lads........................... ickle twiggy licheny photogenic perchie type thangs (bless:LOL:) for tiny birds........................ use those cheep clamps the ones to clamp wood together for the life of me I can't think of a name but you'll know what I mean with squeeze grip and a bar that extends.speed clamps???? DOH

lidles aldi they are as unsightly as hell....

but the perch isn't........... one can instantly change...move to say better light different bkg. this would be perfect for both of you.

Guys I'm shattered ,i'll come back with some kind of link if my post hasn't hit the mark . I got a set only about £6. They def work birds don't care, by far the quickest and most effective way of varing your set up Bob perch wise(y)(y):)

stu

Bob love the goldies the first so inquisitiive the second just cracking with the rain both really cool images well exposed detail looks great

Lads........................... ickle twiggy licheny photogenic perchie type thangs (bless:LOL:) for tiny birds........................ use those cheep clamps the ones to clamp wood together for the life of me I can't think of a name but you'll know what I mean with squeeze grip and a bar that extends.speed clamps???? DOH

lidles aldi they are as unsightly as hell....

but the perch isn't........... one can instantly change...move to say better light different bkg. this would be perfect for both of you.

Guys I'm shattered ,i'll come back with some kind of link if my post hasn't hit the mark . I got a set only about £6. They def work birds don't care, by far the quickest and most effective way of varing your set up Bob perch wise(y)(y):)

stu
Cheers Stu

I think these are what you mean. I did look at these, but already had the staple nails and cable ties so used them.

81JgIdJ02lL._SX425_.jpg

I have some of those here, well, my wife does. She won’t miss 2 and I can always blame Bob. :LOL:

I think we should blame Bob too,not sure what for but hey:LOL:

Actually lads no,give me a while i'll have a dig see if I can find a linky to show ya what I mean exactly. Bob's perch might be a bit thick for the one's pictured I'm sure I have a workaround back in a mo or 3 lol.

I think we should blame Bob too,not sure what for but hey:LOL:

Actually lads no,give me a while i'll have a dig see if I can find a linky to show ya what I mean exactly. Bob's perch might be a bit thick for the one's pictured I'm sure I have a workaround back in a mo or 3 lol.
Thd ones pictured are plastic and I thought about screwing them the the hidden side of the feeder, then the other branches could be gripped by the clamp.
Hope that makes sense :)

Here we go quick clamps not speed clamps DOH:D....................https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-quick-grip-mini-clamp/p96815

Bob Dale,obviously this tool will vary in quality and with that the price,as I say I nabbed a set of 4 from liddle or aldi for a few pounds. but one can pay waaay more for something more substantial that the trades would use. . Just tailor the clamp to the size of perch . But I'd try some real cheep ones first and see how you get on. The fact that one can tighten this form of clamp so much and yet they can have a wide grip, I feel makes them superior for our needs than the spring ones you have noted above...those will probaby work as well :) We are basically after small pretty perches and dealing with small garden birds so not much weight involved.

Bob I snagged a bit of dead Elm from the hedge across the road which I have then sort of wedged into a big flower pot with a load of bricks to add weight and stability. i've had some GSW here feeding kids,so wanted to try and get a few half natural looking pics. So deliberately looked for an upright branch rathe than something that was lying flat I drilled lots of 8mm holes in it to wedge peanuts into,it's worked a treat . The clamps mean I can put sommit more attractive on anywhere I like for smaller birds in seconds.

Our feeders are right out side our front door,which is north facing with alot of cover around. It's a damn tricky spot to get some nice light on the subjects at times. The clamps mean I can just move a perch up or down a few inches to put the subjects into " better " lit positions . It's that flexibility I love so much . Bob that sort of caters for your last post which came in while I write.

I personally need that flexibility,you might not so much,but that's why I don't fix things to the main log,besides the obvious need for the Elm to remain "clean" for me woody images;),although the GSW chick feeding has now stopped I believe shame I didn't have more time

The fact that both "sticks" are in the round might create the odd head ache,I just shave a bit off the twig, at the log end to produce a flat ..... to give the clamp more purchase if I'm having an issue.

Stu,
Yeah, they would certainly be quicker to work with than messing about with cable ties etc.

Birds are clever Bob if you are on the hunt for an image, when the special bird comes it' s always gonna sit on the clamp and wreck things:LOL: ,but otherwise they are a good little tool

tis just trying to find the tools to give as as many options for a piccy as possible without them all looking like they were taken in the same spot

Bob call me an old fuddy duddy:) but thinking on it...

maybe take the cable tie away....................................some silly sod will try to hang them self in it........... ponder a woodpecker landing at the bottom of your stump and doing what next it's almost always one way moving upwards eyes trained on bark. it would be a massive freak but I can so see it happening

When one looks after thousands of an animal birds in my case, the odds are raised of one seeing things normally one wouldn't see in a million years. If I listed to you every way i've seen a bird kill it's self we would be here for ages, so I'll declare being paranoid.

but yeah I'd have the knife to that one or always have a branch in it:)

Thanks Dave,
I actually like the background in the third one because its colourful and different.
The intention was to shoot from my garage which means I'd be shooting in the opposite direction, and the background would be a large green Bush.
Yesterday was just an opportune moment as the bird was on top waiting for the other 2 to move off the feeder hanging on the other side.
I really like this background too - in fact it made me click through to Flickr.

Stunning shots of goldfinches and great job with the perch. I keep looking at my log pile thinking I need to try and do something similar.

I really like this background too - in fact it made me click through to Flickr.

Stunning shots of goldfinches and great job with the perch. I keep looking at my log pile thinking I need to try and do something similar.
Thanks.
Go for it :)

Back