Home studio setup with my Stepdad. Practicing with softbox and Speedlights.

• Thread starter Deleted member 91540
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 91540

So yesterday I thought I'd set up a little home studio and take some shots of the Stepdad. Glad He was willing to go along with it .

I took plenty of shots getting different expressions and styles, also playing with the light a bit. But I wanted an expression that told a slight story and left more to wonder.

Here is my stepdad below, an image I'm quite happy with and had fun editing. Here I used a Yongnuo 560 Speedlight off to the right of the camera (left of the subject) with a softbox attached and light at about half power. I also had another flash at the opposite side (right of the subject), this was on the lowest power if I remember right, just to bring slight detail in the shadows.
I also blocked most ambient light coming into the room and used warm bulbs just above the subject and made it warmer in post. I wanted a warm cosey feel.

Camera: Nikon D750
Lens: Sigma 105mm F/2.8

A little critique wouldn't go a miss or any tips to try next time if you have any.

PS. Does anyone know the file size limit on this website?

Dixie Detail-min.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice, not sure what the file size limit is but find linking from flickr (other file sharing sites are available) to give less headaches
How do you attach a Flickr image to the post?

I really like that, my main criticism is I can’t see a big image!

The highlight in the eye (soft box) literally covers the entire iris and does look a bit odd.

I really like that, my main criticism is I can’t see a big image!

The highlight in the eye (soft box) literally covers the entire iris and does look a bit odd.
If you tap the image it should open bigger

Love it, such detail and feeling to the image. You certainly got the expression right and left the viewer wanting to know more about what was happening. My only critique is that the reflection of the softbox in his eyes makes them look a touch weird. Time for another quick edit?

Back