Home Town + Others

I love that 1st shot. Thats my type of image that :D One crit. You have motion blur from the boats. I'd suggest bumping the ISO up to get that shutter nice and fast.
I tried a couple Steve but to get the shutter up to under 1s I was up too high on the ISO for my liking. I also thought about merging the images but as it was already a 2 shot pano, I couldn't be assed with the extra processing so kept it like this. To be honest I much prefer being out on the coast to taking local shots, just need to find more time as most the locations I like are a good drive and walk.

Reactions: ST4
Another very nice set of images Neil, #1 is clearly my fav'. Also liking #2 very much for it's good com', simplicity, and very nice colour.(y)

George.

I tried a couple Steve but to get the shutter up to under 1s I was up too high on the ISO for my liking. I also thought about merging the images but as it was already a 2 shot pano, I couldn't be assed with the extra processing so kept it like this. To be honest I much prefer being out on the coast to taking local shots, just need to find more time as most the locations I like are a good drive and walk.

It doesn't look like there is much FG there, you could probably open the lens up and try keep the ISO down. I find with the D800 ISO400 is pretty clean and ISO800 is usable.

Another very nice set of images Neil, #1 is clearly my fav'. Also liking #2 very much for it's good com', simplicity, and very nice colour.(y)

George.
Cheers George

It doesn't look like there is much FG there, you could probably open the lens up and try keep the ISO down. I find with the D800 ISO400 is pretty clean and ISO800 is usable.
I went down to F8, in hindsight could of gone right down to F4. Having said that the couple of boats with motion dont really distract from the town imo, and the shot is what it is! I see this view every day from other togs, it's a classic view round here, this is probably the reason not as much care went into it as other shots I prefer on the coast.

Is that a new fish market now, or is that something else?
I like all 3 shots but i love the soft tones and gradients in 3 a cracker....
Great colours in No2, soft glow of sunset
No1 nicely exposed, and hardly a grockle in sight;)

Is that a new fish market now, or is that something else?
I like all 3 shots but i love the soft tones and gradients in 3 a cracker....
Great colours in No2, soft glow of sunset
No1 nicely exposed, and hardly a grockle in sight;)
Cheers Steve, it's part of the fish market and theres also Mitch Tonks Rockfish restaurant as well.

No 1 is my favorite.

An excellent shot with appropriate colour and light.

Forgive my ignorance but where is it??

Mj:(
Hi Mark, thanks for the comment, it's Brixham in Devon!

Number one is a beaut :)

Gaz

edit : came back again as I just viewed the first image on flickr. "Amazballs" That is everything you could possibly want for a nighttime image.
Fabulous mix of lighting !!!

Gaz

Last edited:
Lovely shots. My favourite being the first. At first glance I thought it was abroad, also I hadn't noticed the motion blur on the boat and really only that white yacht, until Steve mentioned it. I took a similar one of Skiathos harbour and had the same comments re.motion blur on the boats but as you say upping that ISO just introduces noise. Opening the aperture reduces overall sharpness so I'm not sure how anyone gets round that as you tried a higher ISO and weren't happy. I think you have the answer. Go to the coast..lol.

I really like the other two as well. They're both very likeable in their own way so I can't choose a favourite.

Lovely shots. My favourite being the first. At first glance I thought it was abroad, also I hadn't noticed the motion blur on the boat and really only that white yacht, until Steve mentioned it. I took a similar one of Skiathos harbour and had the same comments re.motion blur on the boats but as you say upping that ISO just introduces noise. Opening the aperture reduces overall sharpness so I'm not sure how anyone gets round that as you tried a higher ISO and weren't happy. I think you have the answer. Go to the coast..lol.

I really like the other two as well. They're both very likeable in their own way so I can't choose a favourite.
Thanks John

They are all very good, the first one is excellent. Something I like to do with these type of shots though is as a layer make sure the bits that should be white (boats for example) are closer to white and not completely coloured by the scene lighting. It gives more colour separation and subtly lifts the photo.

They are all very good, the first one is excellent. Something I like to do with these type of shots though is as a layer make sure the bits that should be white (boats for example) are closer to white and not completely coloured by the scene lighting. It gives more colour separation and subtly lifts the photo.
Thanks Craig.

Back