Critique Honister Pass - Opinions needed

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Took these images of Honister pass and would like your opinions on them, in particular number 1. I am happy with them, but not at the same time. I would like recommendations for where you may consider improving the processing of these.

Thanks.

1)
DSC_2329-HDR by Thomas Green, on Flickr

2)
DSC_2342-HDR by Thomas Green, on Flickr

3)
DSC_2358-HDR by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Have set to private on flickr at the moment until I complete my final edit.

EDIT: Additional image.

4)
[url=https://flic.kr/p/27MCNyP]DSC_2335-HDR by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Number one for me Tom. Not sure why as it's very similar to number two but I prefer it. I definitely think the sun adds to the image. Great stuff.

Id love to have seen shot 1's light in the composition of shot 3! I find the slate scree in the foreground a tad distracting in shot 1 and 2.

As for PP Im no expert I do very little... I try to do what I can in the field. Did you use any filters on camera?

The Sun and hot spots are cool features in #1
but I prefer the WB in #2… very personal.

No crit from me you seem to have a done a very good job with all three of them, for me #1 is the pick for the way the sun lights up the road although I do really like the tones in the sky in #3.

Love the composition on #1 but... I don’t like the sun star, it doesn’t feel right to me, and the top left with the smidge of sky above the mountain top makes the left mountain a bit too squeezed in.

Having said that, I wish my photos look like this. Nice work.

Id love to have seen shot 1's light in the composition of shot 3! I find the slate scree in the foreground a tad distracting in shot 1 and 2.

As for PP Im no expert I do very little... I try to do what I can in the field. Did you use any filters on camera?

Yeah not a bad shout, the idea behind the composition was that I wanted to represent that I was taking the shot from the slate mine looking over Honister pass so just tried a couple of compositions.

No filters, too much risk of flare so had the hood on. I did two exposures, one around f20 for the sky and sunstar and one at f8 for the foreground so an extremely difficult shot to get right in the field IMO :)

Yes, struggled to decide on WB but wanted a warmer look in 1. Tough choice though!

Love the composition on #1 but... I don’t like the sun star, it doesn’t feel right to me, and the top left with the smidge of sky above the mountain top makes the left mountain a bit too squeezed in.

Having said that, I wish my photos look like this. Nice work.

Thanks for the comment :) I guess things like sunstars are subjective, I just have a think about them at the moment haha!

Added another image in landscape orientation.

Last edited:
Yes, struggled to decide on WB but wanted a warmer look in 1. Tough choice though!

I would apply through an adjustment layer and only to
the shady slopes of the hills.

Yes you are defo right there... that would be hard to do in the field. Since going digital iv only ever used canons DPP for RAW edits. I need toget into using something more powerful but seems so complicated to me! Mixing exposures and focus stacking is something id like to try. I have apple so will prob invest in affinity photo....

1 and 4, I like. For me portrait landscapes look odd, not really sure why. Lighting of both is lovely but I'd push the white balance a touch warmer.
2, foreground lighting, or lack of, is not doing anything for me. I might have tried cropping the bottom to maybe square as the sky has lovely tones.
3, is not really grabbing me.

Anyway, a good set.

I like the 1st and 4th ones, I think its the colours on the road and scree that make them work.

Shot 1 for me..... you get the full sense of the height of the mountains on the left, rather than the cropped version in two and I prefer the extra warm light on the foreground that the higher sun position produces. The portrait version removes some of the slate on the r/h slopes which I don't think adds anything to the shot and distracts more from the pass itself

Simon

With 1, and 4 and not so much 2 is the top of the left hand side of the mountain is very close to the frame top. Just a little bit more space. Otherwise I think the portrait works well.

For me (and I don't usually see this in many peoples images as I don't normally add in lots of it) is they all lack a tiny amount contrast and are ever so slightly washed out. Maybe it's the haze, or the blend of the exposure - in a technical sense these are a marvel, you've got stacks of detail shooting straight into the sun and nothing blown out or blocking. But a little less shadow recovery, a little higher on the black point or a little more contrast and they'd be there.

Personally, I'd have timed it for the sun to be behind me rather than in front of me for those.

Me too - I prefer a little more topaz hue in my shots. One is slightly too green a hue, 2 slightly too topaz but nice. Also it looks like in one the vibrance is a little too much, look at the blue in the sky. Its too cyan in hue. In the second version with the lower sun you can see the topaz is slightly too high, look at the shadow area in the mountain top left, it's a little bit off but for the untrained eye it's a lovely colour palate

With 1, and 4 and not so much 2 is the top of the left hand side of the mountain is very close to the frame top. Just a little bit more space. Otherwise I think the portrait works well.

For me (and I don't usually see this in many peoples images as I don't normally add in lots of it) is they all lack a tiny amount contrast and are ever so slightly washed out. Maybe it's the haze, or the blend of the exposure - in a technical sense these are a marvel, you've got stacks of detail shooting straight into the sun and nothing blown out or blocking. But a little less shadow recovery, a little higher on the black point or a little more contrast and they'd be there.

Personally, I'd have timed it for the sun to be behind me rather than in front of me for those.

Interesting points of view. I think the contrast is subjective, spent a lot of time playing around with it and think I have found the balance (I have changed it since this, I have settled on image 1 as my SHOT). I like a bit of haze though so maybe that's why. Sun never gets behind this shot at this time of the year unfortunately. Rises to the right of this image.

Me too - I prefer a little more topaz hue in my shots. One is slightly too green a hue, 2 slightly too topaz but nice. Also it looks like in one the vibrance is a little too much, look at the blue in the sky. Its too cyan in hue. In the second version with the lower sun you can see the topaz is slightly too high, look at the shadow area in the mountain top left, it's a little bit off but for the untrained eye it's a lovely colour palate

Again, all could be true in some respect but I think very subjective as well and each of these is definitely down to personal taste. Personally, I look less and an image from a technical perspective and more from an aesthetically pleasing perspective when it comes to shots like this. I will re-post shot one at some point :)/

Back