Horse Guards Parade, Westminster

Lee, does the image go any higher up, so you can include the tops of the flag poles? It may seem a silly thing, but for me they need to be there and un-cropped.

Hi Toni. Well spotted and I agree. I should have stood a bit further back. Do you mean the colour version? My black and white shows the very top of the flag pole (just about!) and that's as high as my photo goes. But I seem to have changed the angle on the colour and clipped it off. I'll redo it and repost.

Last edited:
I've reposted it Toni in my opening post. I think that's the very top of the post? Could have done with more sky clearance above it. Lesson learned though, make sure to get everything in the frame!

Lee, does the image go any higher up, so you can include the tops of the flag poles? It may seem a silly thing, but for me they need to be there and un-cropped.

I thought that too Toni :)

More Sky? Not an issue Lee :)

Pzkb6nw.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice just as a matter if interest what lens did you use, I ask because you have done a very good job on the verticals

I thought that too Toni :)

More Sky? Not an issue Lee :)

Pzkb6nw.jpg

Les

Hah, that's great Les, nicely done. :) In future for scenes like this, I'll need to either point the camera a little more upwards or stand further back.

Very nice just as a matter if interest what lens did you use, I ask because you have done a very good job on the verticals

Thank you Chris. I used the Sigma 16mm F1.4 on my Sony a6600 aps-c so effectively 24mm FF equivalent. Great wide angle lens for framing wide horizontal structures like this. I often have the issue of buildings looking like they're falling back. Not so much though when standing further away. :)

Hah, that's great Les, nicely done. :) In future for scenes like this, I'll need to either point the camera a little more upwards or stand further back.

Thank you Chris. I used the Sigma 16mm F1.4 on my Sony a6600 aps-c so effectively 24mm FF equivalent. Great wide angle lens for framing wide horizontal structures like this. I often have the issue of buildings looking like they're falling back. Not so much though when standing further away. :)

Well you have done a very good job, at first sight I thought you had used a TS-E

Well you have done a very good job, at first sight I thought you had used a TS-E

Thank you, that means a lot to me as I've not done much architecture. Oh I couldn't afford a tilt shift lens, but I learned something cool last night on YouTube that I didn't realise I can do in lightroom. There's a transform tool that corrects perspective. I didn't use it for these images, but I'm going to try it on some other photos I have where the buildings look like they're leaning. I want to see how well it works.

If you're able to keep the camera level on the horizontal and vertical axis AND fit the whole building in you don't need the shift function.

Stand back, crop wide off the bottom, or shoot portrait then crop square removing the bottom. Stitch a series of vertical shots together, try get to a position of elevation to avoid having to angle the camera up. Lots of fudges to use without a TSE although they are fantastic to have.

Surprised Sony haven't developed one.

Shot 3 = the one

If you're able to keep the camera level on the horizontal and vertical axis AND fit the whole building in you don't need the shift function.

Stand back, crop wide off the bottom, or shoot portrait then crop square removing the bottom. Stitch a series of vertical shots together, try get to a position of elevation to avoid having to angle the camera up. Lots of fudges to use without a TSE although they are fantastic to have.

Surprised Sony haven't developed one.

Shot 3 = the one

Thanks Steve, good advice. By the way, I tried out that transform tool tonight in lightroom on a couple of photos of a building leaning back and it's amazing. There's various options such as guided lines I can pull across the vertical and horizontal, but just pressing auto instantly completely corrected them. So I deleted them on my flickr page and re uploaded the corrected versions. Very useful for architecture and wide angled lens.

Last edited:
Back