Horse Head Nebula

Edit My Images
No
HH30 (Large) by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

From the brightest Star (Alnitak) go east, and on the edge of the yellow/orange mess there is a slight shadow, horse head shaped. Bit dim I know, but pleased to have got that.

Near the 2nd brightest star gamma Ori (I think) there is a violet squiggle, no idea what it is.........Alien perhaps

10 30 second shots stacked using DeepSky. Lens is a 500mm mirror (EFL 1000mm on the EM1)

Mj

I had to look hard then find another image for comparision but yes, it is there. You need way more exposure though, both in terms of numbers of exposures and length of exposure if your mount allows it. The purple thing is definitely an artifact of some kind. I'd just clone it out. Well done for having a go. It's definitely something I'll be trying.............if we get a clear, fog free night once Orion moves clear of the wall it's hiding behind atm from my place.................

Thanks Jan. I tried 60 second exposures but then got quite a lot of star trails, also light pollution from Swansea kicked in.

I could have aligned the mount better (EQ5) I know, but was late when I set up. Do you think I could just add more 30 second exposures to the stack process? Or do I need longer exposures?

Thanks for comments and help.

Forcast a clear one tonight..........

Mj

No sorry but can't see it, maybe you can circle where you mean

Thanks Jan. I tried 60 second exposures but then got quite a lot of star trails, also light pollution from Swansea kicked in.

I could have aligned the mount better (EQ5) I know, but was late when I set up. Do you think I could just add more 30 second exposures to the stack process? Or do I need longer exposures?

Thanks for comments and help.

Forcast a clear one tonight..........

Mj

Yes just adding more exposures will certainly help. When I was imaging out in Portugal in the summer (albeit through a 200mm scope) I was taking 60 - 70 1 min exposures (the longest the mount could manage) for everything, and nothing anywhere near as faint as the Horsehead, Out of interest what aperture/iso did you use? I use 800 iso on my Canons (550D and a 350D which has just had the IR mod done) as they're fairly low level kit and don't deal well with high iso. The one time I've managed to try out the Sigma 150-600 (Andromeda Galaxy) I used it wide open, which seemed to be okay. But I've been plagued by fog this winter so far. My place isn't usually a fog magnet. I've obviously done something to upset the weather witches.

Mirror lens has fixed aperture at 6.3. Not too bad. ISO was 1600.

If I am not too lazy to align the mount, I should be able to get a minute exposure. Hopefully tonight..

Quite impressed with the lens,,,,,,,,,,,

Good luck without the mist :):)

HH40 (Large) Marked by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Bit better result from last night. Nebula marked just in case! 30 by 40 second exposures, ISO 1250, with Samyang 500mm mirror lens (f6.3)

Work still in progress. But thanks for the good weather......... Oly Em1 using time lapse settings so just watched Tv whilst camera was doing its job...........:p:p:p

Back