Horsefly wanting my blood.

Edit My Images
No
I got a visitor on my hand during my visit to a local Zoo (Chester). It didn't seem to be managing to penetrate my skin so I fired off a couple of one handed shots. I happened to be in the Jaguar house at the time (where there was a very elusive Jaguar) so lighting was all artificial and backgrounds not ideal. Still, I couldn't miss the opportunity of photographing those eyes.

IMG_4201-XL.jpg

IMG_4202-XL.jpg

IMG_4206-X2.jpg

I'm loathed to say it but that is very pretty, those eyes are something else...why am I loathed well that's because I bloody hate those damn flies and kill them when ever they land on me, I once nearly crashed a boat on the Norfolk broads thanks to one of them, I have terrible reactions to their bites a single bite will cause what ever part of my body is bitten to swell to about twice it's normal size and get so hot you could fry a full English breakfast on it :(

One of those little buggars bit me on the arm last week, I wondered what it was now I know. For some reason I thought they were bigger.

Great shots by the way Ian you've really caught the eyes well (y)

Steve

Yes I've also been bitten by those bar stewards. Mainly on my legs. Feels like a needle penetrating my skin.

Once they track you they're bloody hard to get rid.

As for the detail, really good.

Thanks all :)

I was lucky Matt, the little horror didn't penetrate my skin. Was at the beginning of the week and I have no swellings / red marks or anything thankfully :)

Ps, Here's a heavy Crop of the first image.

IMG_4201-2-XL.jpg

Thanks again all :)

There were certainly a few Out of focus versions I have to admit :)

Incredible shots, to nail the focus and get that kind of sharpness one handed is really impressive. Stunning looking but vicious little buggers

Cheers John, Peter and Rob :)

Super eyes on the last shot, only the females bite I believe how the hell you tell the difference I'm not sure.

Was in Broadway Tower cafe last week, lots of flies inside the windows buzzing about, on close inspection majority were horseflies.

Told the lady in charge she almost had a fit.:LOL: never seen so many in one spot.

This bloke is worth a look, some super horsefly shots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Again, comments much appreciated :).

Bill, I'll have a nose at that vid a little later. Cheers for that.

Amazing pics, amazing eyes!

Seems a shame to kill them every time they land on me now. Living in the country they're seems to be loads more than previous years, this year

drew

Judging by the crop it's trying its hardest to get a meal. Nice job!

Cheers all :)

It certainly did try Rhod. :)

Maybe you taste bad? :D :p

I admire your fortitude in snapping the thing, instead of flapping around yelling getitoffgetitoffgetitoffgetitoff! (y)

Love those eyes and well done on not getting bitten, they are nasty little critters!

Haha, Tori, John. I had a more nervous shoot with a bee from the garden today. It was on my hand and I was more anxious about it stinging me than the horsefly biting me :D

Cheers

All in the name of photography and some great shots of it as a result...my skin must be thinner than yours!

I took some shots of one of those horse flies as it pierced the top of my hand and dug deep into my blood vein once, I learned my lesson, I ended up at the Doctors with my hand blown up like a balloon, never again! My advice to anyone would be don't take the risk!

Haha Chris, yeah definitely daft I think :)

Must admit, I've got the shot now, no need to take further risk :)

That crop shot is amazing. I can't believe you had the composure to capture those shots, or maybe I'm just a big girl :D.

That crop shot is amazing. I can't believe you had the composure to capture those shots, or maybe I'm just a big girl :D.

Haha, in retrospect and reading some of the replies, I think I was perhaps quite the fool LMAO... one FIRMLY struck off the "to do" list though :)

You want to be bit careful with these horsefly bites, this is very rare
but this guy not around to tell his story

Back