TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No

Hourglass Figure
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Shot for the March edition of the Staff POTY - "Curves"

The thoughts behind my shot were quite simple really - thinking of something curvaceous, the phrase "Hourglass Figure" sprang to mind, and while playing around shooting one of my pile of props, I noticed that one of the uprights next to the glass curves could possibly be thought of as a pole - so, that sent me on the tangent of "pole dancing" - which is where the setup submitted came from - i.e. a representation of the hourglass as a pole dancer, on stage, pointing out into a (ahem) gentlemens club...

Background is my computer monitor, with a googled up image of a "cabaret club", "stage" is a chunk of black foamboard, and it's the hourglass as featured in loads and loads of still life shots.

Have to say it was a bit of a "throw together" shot by my usual standards - i'd already pretty much sussed out that this months competition wasn't going to be one for me from general staff room chit-chat, and basically it was a case of getting something to "make the numbers up" in the hope that less than 10 of the staff would enter and I'd at least gather a point or two. As it worked out, there were 9 entries, so even DFL* was worth 2 points and much better than DNE**

*DFL - Damn Flat Last
**DNE - Did Not Enter

A well thought out and executed shot there Mark. I personally would llike to see the full hour glass. I can see your reasoning for the background image there just seems a lot of it on the left hand side, and for me this slightly unbalances it. I suppose its personal choice and I tend to err toward symmetry and balance. I think it is a very good interpretation of the them, well done.(y)

the idea was to drop the "pole" on the RH third, and cut off the hourglass at halfway to emphasise the "waist" effect, without it being obviously "pinched off"... Leaving the other 2/3 of frame as "the audience" was a vague (or probably vain, considering the reception/votes it gathered :)) attempt to give the atmosphere of a (ahem) "gentlemans entertainment club"...

I think I pretty much missed the mark on this one to be honest. Still, you live and learn.

I like that.

The monitor as a background is a great idea and adding the stage really brings the two together.

Back