House selling / pricing advice

Name
Edit My Images
No
So if i want to get 230k for my house do i put it on for 235 expecting a drop or 230 with the old "offers in excess of" caveat? What do you think would have more success?

So if i want to get 230k for my house do i put it on for 235 expecting a drop or 230 with the old "offers in excess of" caveat? What do you think would have more success?

I am curious...............why not get 3 agents to value it and pick the agent you are most expect to be able to do the best job for you to achieve your 'target' figure?

PS it has been a while since I/we have sold or bought but I don recall one bit of agents advice was along the lines of "price it to sell quickly if needed.................or price it higher if you are prepared to wait......" None too sure if that would apply to all market conditions???

Last edited:
why not get 3 agents to value it and pick the agent you are most expect to be able to do the best job for you to achieve your 'target' figure?
I'd second that. I've used agents to sell various properties and never been disappointed with either the service or the outcome.

Get 3 agents as other have said and see what they suggest.

If you need to sell quick then go for the lower price, if no rush there may be no harm in putting it up for a bit more. Someone may decide they love it and pay 240k and many people like to negotiate so if i wanted 230 i would probably put it up for 240 or so and see if I got lucky (a bit like selling a lens on here!)

Get 3 agents as other have said and see what they suggest.

If you need to sell quick then go for the lower price, if no rush there may be no harm in putting it up for a bit more. Someone may decide they love it and pay 240k and many people like to negotiate so if i wanted 230 i would probably put it up for 240 or so and see if I got lucky (a bit like selling a lens on here!)
If you want more than £230k then you would put offers over £230k or a higher fixed price, but a lot depends on what the house is valued at.
At the moment up here, everything is selling quick.
A fixed price means buyers know what they're paying, and you know what you're getting.
if you want to maximise what you get, then you would have an offers over price and sell to the highest bidder.
Selling a house it not like selling a lens on here :LOL:

Last edited:
Get 3 agents as suggested, pick the middle valuation. You can't be sure to get the price you want AND be certain to sell unless it's below market value.

ok well there's no rush although i want rid before march when stamp duty comes into play. Without knowing what any of the agents are like i wouldnt know who would do a better job of it. I was looking to do purplebricks or one of the other fixed fee ones due to the fees involved with a high street agent. I have no issue with showing people about. I want 230 but obviously happy if someone offered more, hence 235 but someone might offer 231+

ok well there's no rush although i want rid before march when stamp duty comes into play. Without knowing what any of the agents are like i wouldnt know who would do a better job of it. I was looking to do purplebricks or one of the other fixed fee ones due to the fees involved with a high street agent. I have no issue with showing people about. I want 230 but obviously happy if someone offered more, hence 235 but someone might offer 231+
You need to get the agents out to value and see what they think re best way to market it....

If you want more than £230k then you would put offers over £230k or a higher fixed price, but a lot depends on what the house is valued at.
At the moment up here, everything is selling quick.
A fixed price means buyers know what they're paying, and you know what you're getting.
if you want to maximise what you get, then you would have an offers over price and sell to the highest bidder.
Selling a house it not like selling a lens on here :LOL:

If I say overs over 230k I would start at 230k to see if they bit or something like 231k.

Never understood why people put things like that or ono. If I see ono then I know they will accept less than the asking!

You might want £230 K but the question to ask is it that a realistic price.
Go onto right move and similar web sites and see what similar properties to yours are being advertised for, then go onto the Land Registry (https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/ ) and see what similar properties sold for. Then decide on your price
That's what the agent I used to work for did.

You might want £230 K but the question to ask is it that a realistic price.
Go onto right move and similar web sites and see what similar properties to yours are being advertised for, then go onto the Land Registry (https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/ ) and see what similar properties sold for. Then decide on your price
That's what the agent I used to work for did.

Right move have the "house prices" history that gleans such house registry price data....it can be quite an eye opener!

I wouldn’t leave it too long getting the house on the market if you want to sell before the stamp duty holiday ends. Things are taking a lot longer to sort out at the moment, particularly searches and surveys. Currently you’re looking at 12-16 weeks from accepting an offer to exchange. If you’re in a chain, you might not be exchanging for 5 months.

We accepted an offer on our place and bought another at the beginning of August and are still nowhere near completion. It’s looking more and more likely to be xmas/new year before we actually move.

If you want a guaranteed price, do it as OIEO, but take the agent’s advice on a reasonable valuation. I don’t agree about taking the middle estimate of three agents by the way. Ask around and see which agents in your area are decent, by which I mean actually getting the people through the door for viewings and completing the sales. The agent we used already had plenty of prospective buyers on his books. He had sixteen viewings sorted within a couple of days of the house going on the market and it sold at full asking within five days.

I'd get moving now, it took us 6 months to buy this place as our first buyer was an a@@hole, and our second buyer had a problem with their paperwork which took ages to sort out. You also need to find somewhere else, that took us a while too. Don't hang around, if it happens sooner then that's a bonus...

Don't do purple bricks or any of the upfront fee places. They have your money and aren't motivated to sell your property.

Drive around your area and see how many for sale signs you see and note who they are. Generally the most popular ones are the best.

Get valuations from 3 and find out their rate, cheapest often isn't best though. We found that out the hard way.

Certainly around here values have soared since April. Our house is now worth about £350k up from 280k a few months ago because of where we are, in the countryside. City and town properties probably haven't risen as much.

People will haggle, so either price slightly higher or price on the money and refuse to move.

Also when we moved last time, 2017 it took over 6 months from offer to completion. We had a 3 way chain. Our buyers were renting and the place we were buying was vacant, so pretty much as simple as it gets and still took an age.

Last edited:
There's a lot of strategy in house pricing ATM - and the market is just mad.

Talk to the experts - they will have a view on whether it needs to be 229etc to slide under a Rightmove filter or at 231 to look cheap vs 30 somethings or 239 to position on the page. Also, it's going to depend on how quickly you want to sell and a bunch of other stuff. As Phil and Kirsty have taught us, an offer isn't a number, it's a package. Zoopla will tell oyu what your property is worth - but experts will position it for you.

And good luck beating March. Average from "sale" to exchange (which is what counts for stamp duty) is about 12 - 14 weeks ATM. It's slowing down because of a backlog in local searches. And all councils shut down over Christmas. Get it on the market now.

Just to add, be prepared for aggro along the line. Last week we were about 3 weeks away from exchanging when the seller’s agent rang to say his client had found out he’s being made redundant, so the house we were buying has been pulled off the market. So not only are we out of pocket to the tune of nearly £2k but we’ve had to start from scratch again. Luckily we’ve found another house quickly, but it was a close thing, places are still selling within days of going on the market.

I’d heard things were quite slow but not experience that (touch wood). Our went on the market in 22 Sept, we accepted one of 10 offers at a fair amount over asking on 30 September. We had an offer accepted on a new property on 25th September.
All surveys have been done, solicitors queries answered and we signed our contract to buy on Monday this week. I’m expecting to move by end of November. It is quite a short chain so touch wood should be OK.
If you do want to benefit from the stamp duty reductio, then I’d get it on the market by the end of the month.

Back