Hover Shield Bee Horn

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Very nice set of images Bryn, with some great detail and composition.(y)

My only crit would be the clipped antennae on #7, bit difficult to get it in I know with the obvious framing you were going for.

George.

WOWOWOW - incredibly brilliant macros!

Is #5 falling through the air?

And if so how did you photograph it?

I am totally gobsmacked!

Thank you... #5 is not falling its on the flower head shot from above with enough dof to get head of flower in focus but make the stem oof and part of the bokeh. But can see that it looks like it is floating :D

These look really really good Bryn! These look razor sharp mate, like them all, but the Nomanda flying shot is superb!

Thanks Mate... really glad how that Bee came out. :D

Very nice set of images Bryn, with some great detail and composition.(y)

My only crit would be the clipped antennae on #7, bit difficult to get it in I know with the obvious framing you were going for.

George.

Thanks George, don't really follow what you are saying about #7 see #6 on how long a longhorn beetles antenna are. This would not give the facial closeup I was going for. :)

Super bee shots m8 - top notch that one.

I'd go with pipens on the last hover - the second looks like the regular marmalade, and the first I think might be Xylota segnis.

Paul.

Thanks for the IDs and comment. :D

This would not give the facial closeup I was going

Err that's exactly what I was saying Bryn, when I said. :- (bit difficult to get it in I know with the obvious framing you were going for).:)

Don't worry I know what I meant and it amounts to the same thing.

George.

Err that's exactly what I was saying Bryn, when I said. :- (bit difficult to get it in I know with the obvious framing you were going for).:)

Don't worry I know what I meant and it amounts to the same thing.

George.

Ok.... :eek: :p

Nice set Bryn. #3 - terrific!

Thank you very much Nick as you can see the flash was set to manual so I over powered it way too much just glad the detail was still there. :D

Thank you very much Nick as you can see the flash was set to manual so I over powered it way too much just glad the detail was still there. :D

Yes, there is a somewhat bright, maybe blown, area on the abdomen. But for a shot like that who cares? Wonderful content like that trumps all image quality considerations in my book.

In any case, you get exactly one chance at a shot like that. In my experience the flash level, whether set manually or with TTL, always has a random factor (and sometimes a rather large one) on the first attempt and good exposure often needs a re-take. But in cases like that you don't get to re-take it; react instantly, whatever your settings, or lose it. You did well.

Nice shots all, but kudos for #3! Was it hovering for you to be able to get such nice detail?

Yes, there is a somewhat bright, maybe blown, area on the abdomen. But for a shot like that who cares? Wonderful content like that trumps all image quality considerations in my book.

In any case, you get exactly one chance at a shot like that. In my experience the flash level, whether set manually or with TTL, always has a random factor (and sometimes a rather large one) on the first attempt and good exposure often needs a re-take. But in cases like that you don't get to re-take it; react instantly, whatever your settings, or lose it. You did well.

Thanks Nick for the kind words... but I do need to get a perfectly exposed version.

Nice shots all, but kudos for #3! Was it hovering for you to be able to get such nice detail?

Wasn't hovering as such as was move in all directions but it was looking around the same area for some food or to land I assume at one stage managed to get my hand under it but it decided to move of and not land :(

This was 1 of about 4/5 shots and even though very bright was good enough for me to recover and be happy with.

Brilliant series of shots Bryn. Gorgeous light and clarity.

Nice set mate! Bee in flight is very good!

Thanks mate... much appreciate the comment.

The bee is a bit of a weird one... not a single Fav on Flickr or comment but everyone seems to love it here :confused:

Back