Hoverfly larva eating with added shots

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice catch Alf. I think it is doing you a favour eating aphids.

Interesting that an aphid isn't nimble enough (or aware enough?) to keep out of the way of a slow moving giant like that.

What are the red spheres further up the stem? Are these extra-floral nectaries again? Was the aphid feeing on one of them (visible in the second image)? Perhaps it was too engrossed with that to notice the danger approaching.

Nice catch Alf. I think it is doing you a favour eating aphids.

Interesting that an aphid isn't nimble enough (or aware enough?) to keep out of the way of a slow moving giant like that.

What are the red spheres further up the stem? Are these extra-floral nectaries again? Was the aphid feeing on one of them (visible in the second image)? Perhaps it was too engrossed with that to notice the danger approaching.

The Hoverfly larva was a marauding giant moving quickly and covering a lot of ground. Aphids are frankly stupid and slow see the photos below from 4 years ago.
The red blobs are I think developing thorns but I am no expert.

Well caught Alf..

Thanks Andy

Hover-fly-larvae-eating-aphid 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Hover-fly-larvae-eating-aphid by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Fascinating shot great to see.
That second shot from a few years ago is superb.

Clive

Very well spotted m8 - I think it's the first time I have seen the larva dining.

Paul.
I agree, I see them in the summer - I saw two on Sunday looking for Gooseberry Sawfly larva but they never eat anything. I wish they would or anything would eat Gooseberry sawfly.

Very well spotted m8 - I think it's the first time I have seen the larva dining.

Paul.

Thanks Paul
Its always good to find behaviour like this.

I agree, I see them in the summer - I saw two on Sunday looking for Gooseberry Sawfly larva but they never eat anything. I wish they would or anything would eat Gooseberry sawfly.

Thanks David.

Back