Hoverfly

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
One from this morning, a feeding Hoverfly.

Canon 7D, Canon 100mmf2.8USM, Raynox 150, Yongnuo Ring Flash

Camera in manual 1/100th f11 iso100
Flash in manual at 1/4 power

He was quite metalic, so would you tone down the reflection of the Ring Flash on the Thorax?

_MG_7214-Edit.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on my last shot and thanks for looking

Andy...

Last edited:
That's good Andy. Nice detail.

You could try cloning to remove the highlight (can be tricky or impossible to do convincingly, depending on the image). Cloning to tone it down is easier, for example using a low % flow rate so you can build it up the effect slowly, and feather the edges more subtly, watching the effect, and undoing some of the strokes if it goes too far.

FWIW I don't clone like this very often. Usually I just grit my teeth and put up with it. It is an issue that bugs me, but with a reflective surface I think it's bound to arise when you use flash. Even when you use natural light the sun can make highlights that I don't like the look of. The best you can do with flash is to improve your diffusion as much as possible. As I understand it the light source has to be as large as possible from the perspective of the subject in order to soften the lighting, but that is easier said than done with flash.

Nice shot Andy, with some good comp', and fine detail.(y)

"If you don't mind me saying, the light is a tad harsh and could do with softening a bit with some diffusion. Don't worry too much about the RF reflection etc, we all get that from time to time when using a RF. Toning down a bit would help but its honestly not a serious problem in this case".

George.

Thanks Nick...I was happy with the detail in the eyes, blown up to 100% you can see every facet.

Nice shot Andy, with some good comp', and fine detail.(y)

"If you don't mind me saying, the light is a tad harsh and could do with softening a bit with some diffusion. Don't worry too much about the RF reflection etc, we all get that from time to time when using a RF. Toning down a bit would help but its honestly not a serious problem in this case".

George.

Thanks George...I'm on a steep learning curve with regards to Flash, I've only started using it in the last couple of weeks, so still quite a way to go until I get it right :eek:

I like that shot , beautiful detail, great work,

Excellent, very sharp (y)

Andy it is well lit and nicely processed IMO
I cant see what software you are using but in Lightroom I would reduce the highghts usually to sort such issues when using flash.

Blimey didnt you do well for 1/100th thats very slow and no shake/blur.
tbf I would have used a faster shutter just to make sure there was no shake/blur but you pulled it off, no idea why you used a slow speed like that ?
In fairness thats a lovely shot, great composition and as said nice colour, I wouldnt touch/tonedown the thorax as I think its looks great as is.
Lets see more like this.

Thanks Jak, Alf and Graham...pleased you like it (y)

Blimey didnt you do well for 1/100th thats very slow and no shake/blur.
tbf I would have used a faster shutter just to make sure there was no shake/blur but you pulled it off, no idea why you used a slow speed like that ?
In fairness thats a lovely shot, great composition and as said nice colour, I wouldnt touch/tonedown the thorax as I think its looks great as is.
Lets see more like this.

I was shooting with both the camera and flash in manual, Graham...my max flash sync shutter speed is 1/250th, so I used a 1/100th to allow a little more light in, knowing that with the flash I would still capture a sharp image.

Thanks Jak, Alf and Graham...pleased you like it (y)

I was shooting with both the camera and flash in manual, Graham...my max flash sync shutter speed is 1/250th, so I used a 1/100th to allow a little more light in, knowing that with the flash I would still capture a sharp image.

That's ok but was this hand held or on a tripod?
You could bump up your iso to help.
Most lower end camera speeds are maxed out at 1/250 unless you have a TTL flash.

The shot was hand held, all my shots are, Graham...my Canon 7D maxes out at 1/250th and my results from shooting TTL are shockingly bad, from my limited experience, shooting in manual has produced far superior results :cool:

my max flash sync shutter speed is 1/250th, so I used a 1/100th to allow a little more light in, knowing that with the flash I would still capture a sharp image.

That's true as long as the ambient light isn't too strong. I sometimes slow the shutter speed down when using flash so as to raise the brightness of the background relative to the subject, sometimes down to much slower than 1/100 sec, but when doing that hand-held you have to beware of ghosting caused by the natural light element of the illumination. An alternative if that happens is to raise the ISO and turn the flash down by the same amount. That way you can raise a dark background relative to the subject but keep to a somewhat faster shutter speed. You will get more noise of course, but you should be able to shoot at ISO 800 with no problem with your 7D. (In fact, I tend to use ISO 800 as my default ISO on my 70D.)

my Canon 7D maxes out at 1/250th and my results from shooting TTL are shockingly bad, from my limited experience, shooting in manual has produced far superior results :cool:

Interesting. I found the TTL exposure was all over the place with my 70D. Like you I'm much happier with manual flash (and M mode on the camera).

Back