How about a GULL thread ........ post your images

BillN_33 Started this thread off with the Southern Hemisphere's version of our Blacked backed Gull [Kelp Gull] Well here are two more with chicks taken at a place called
Moeraki which is north of Dunedin in New Zealand.486A0303.jpg

Last edited:
If Fulmar can be gulls - how about Terns?

Arctic Terns do battle on Inner Farne...

IMG_9603-Edit.jpg

This is my attempt at shooting what I think is a Herring Gull. Taken at Edgbaston Reservoir in Birmingham last year.

Last edited:
Tried but couldn't catch this one,bit of a large crop.

DSC_5239.jpg

I think these are juvenile Black Headed Gulls on my local lake. Sorry for the poor quality, first day out with a new camera....

gulls by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I also found this in my collection:

Herring Gull in flight by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Herring gull I think, taken on a trip to the Farne Islands back in 2009.

Last edited:
I think these are juvenile Black Headed Gulls on my local lake. Sorry for the poor quality, first day out with a new camera....

Not necessarily young ones but winter plumaged. They should be getting their black hoods about now. (Brown hoods really but they are called black headed gulls)

Hi Vince, yes, always makes me laugh... Black Headed Gulls, which are actually brown, except when they're white :)

I thought they were juveniles because of the brown marks on the wings & tail.....

Heres my shot, yes I know its a carp shot, darn thing decided to take to the skies just as i was about to click the shutter.
Its a Black headed Gull btw.

DSC_0268.JPG
And heres a hi key shot from Monaco, its one of them big buggers
Gull.jpg

I also found this in my collection:

Herring Gull in flight by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Herring gull I think, taken on a trip to the Farne Islands back in 2009.

The 2 black headed gulls with wings raised are in 1st winter plumage, the others are winter plumage adults

Back