how do you do it???

photomad

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
hey just stared to take photos of flowers

if i take them inside against black card how come all my pics look like they are against grey card.

please help:crying: :shrug:

Got any examples? My first feeling is that the black card's fooling the cameras meter but it might simply be the way the lights reflecting.

phot meter.

im very very new to this close up stuff

i have a fugi s5000 and a fugi s5700

jus shooting on macro with a macro lens

im not got all the gear you guys have

im just plain and simple

cant even post an example it just keeps telling me pics are too big:shrug: :shrug:

first off it doesn't really matter which camera, the metering all works much the same way so it's just a case of understanding how it's working when you're taking a shot :)

Open one of the images in the editing software you use. Somewhere in there you should have the option to change the size. In photoshop it's Image> Image Size then you specify the width/height in cm/pixels etc. Adjust it down to say 800 pixels on the longest side and then save the file. If you have the option to adjust the compression of the file reduce it till the file size is about 160 kB and you should be fine to upload.

Turn your flash off... could explain the grey

cheers for the advice will try out at the weekend and take more shots

Make sure you meter off the flowers, not the background, and try using spot metering. Also lowering the EV a couple of stops might work.

You could use Irfanview to resize your images, and you can do a bit of sharpening with it too. Its free!

Also try keeping your background as far away from your flower as possible ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you got :)

ok doing the photos tomorrow when the house is empty [no kids] but i also cant upload the pics whenever i try to do it it says my files are to big

plus if you have something like photoshop you can adjust the levels using the black eyedropper tool on the background

Make sure you meter off the flowers, not the background, and try using spot metering. Also lowering the EV a couple of stops might work.

when you say lower the ev by a couple of stops, do you mean a couple of stops or a couple of steps

I have a d50 and that steps up in 1 thirds of a stop. so do i step up a full step or 2 or a 3rd or 2?

This is the same for making white dresses or snow white and not grey isnt it?

when you say lower the ev by a couple of stops, do you mean a couple of stops or a couple of steps

I have a d50 and that steps up in 1 thirds of a stop. so do i step up a full step or 2 or a 3rd or 2?

This is the same for making white dresses or snow white and not grey isnt it?

Sorry, I'm not sure. I think I mean a couple of steps.

Most camera systems have a contrast based metering system, which is fooled if you have alot of black in your picture. It tries to make that black a nutural gray. This is what is happening here.

To fix this problem use a light meter (if you have one) and meter off the flowers, and not the background, and set your camera to manual mode and shoot that way. If you don't have a light meter, set your EV to - 1 2/3 stops (that is one and two thirds stops and not steps), and check your histogram and adjust acordingly (may be off by 1/3 of a stop).

so for black its - 1 2/3 (which woudl be 1.7 on mine)

for white is it the opposite eg +1 2/3

phot meter.

im very very new to this close up stuff

i have a fugi s5000 and a fugi s5700

jus shooting on macro with a macro lens

im not got all the gear you guys have

im just plain and simple
cant even post an example it just keeps telling me pics are too big:shrug: :shrug:

Hi photomad, :help:
I am a total beginner to photography and recently bought a fuji S5700. I noticed you also have one. I was wondering what you thought about it's performance overall and once you started to improve. Did you find the camera limited?
If you could also give me some tips on it's operation I'd be really grateful. For example, does it have RAW capabilities? Can you turn of the auto sharpen? I was reading a mag which says auto sharpening is better via an editing suite because of the computers superior processing power. If you can turn it off is there a noticible difference to your snaps.
Thanking you in Advance.
dadofriel

p.s This is my second post and I'm not sure of the protocols regarding a reply to an old thread.

THE SHARPNESS CAN BE ADJUSTED TO HARD STANDERD OR SOFT. THE DIFFERENCE IS SLIGHT AND I FIND BETTER WHEN MESSING ABOUT WITH IT IN PHOTOSHOP. HAVE YOU GOT YOUR PIXELS SET ON THE HIGHEST SETTING?

HOPE THIS HELPSDONT WORRY BOUT REPLYING TO OLD THREADS I SOMETIMES FIND SOMETHING IN AMOUNST IT ALL THATS OLD BUT INTERESTING

oops sorry bout capitals i just noticed

Back