How far would you go to help a fellow photographer?

Edit My Images
Yes
With the festive season rolling and everyone in good spirits...

An event in a recent game made me think - how far would you go in a game situation to help a fellow photographer, if they were having issues with their gear?

Photographer in a recent game had issues with his camera/battery.. even her spare battery didn't get the camera working.
But her shooting with Nikon, and me with Canon.. wasn't much I could do to help with the battery.
I was however shooting with two remotes in that game - so asked if she wanted to borrow one of them with a lens.
OK - I had to maybe get few images less from the remotes, but at the same time a fellow tog was able to complete her assignment at the event..

So made me think - how far would I/you go in a game situation to help a fellow tog if they were having problems.

Surely we all at a time of two have had to borrow a card reader from someone??
Laptop chargers seem to get passed at press centres quite often (not as often as phone chargers ;-) )

But would you lend a camera battery, lens, camera to someone at a game?? Even if it would in some way mean you losing one of your cameras?

Just curious to know how much of the 'good will and camaraderie' there is among us sports photographers .. or is it more a case of dog eat dog world??

Great gesture from you and for me, I’d do similar. As long as you are not totally compromising yourself then yes, always good to help where you can.

I have lent lens and all manner of stuff out.. never been needed to lend a camera though.. I do end up with one spare in my box so probably would..cant see any reason why not you tend to see the same faces at matches so yeagh..

Small stuff but nothing that I would be worried if they dropped it by accident, they may have no insurance or deny that it happened etc

Have had to borrow a card reader before, but that's about it equipment wise I think.

I have though given a lift to someone from our rival company from the press conference building to the training pitch, and also home from a match as he lived on the way.

The worse thing you can do is let someone borrow or TRY out your latest camera thats a level above theres.. because then they have to go out and buy one and there wives will hate you forever haha

The worse thing you can do is let someone borrow or TRY out your latest camera thats a level above theres.. because then they have to go out and buy one and there wives will hate you forever haha

Tell me about it.. a friend of mine let me try his Sony A9 ... and now I am thinking that it might be decent camera (high FPS, decent low light, silent shutter...)
But might not be a wise choice after years of accumulating Canon gear :)

And @KIPAX - you could also add that if someone asks 'how much better the 1DX mkII is from 1DX..' - that you should downplay it a bit.. so they won't run and buy it straight away ;-)

Will always do things like sharing a router or ethernet connection, lending things like card readers, batteries or memory cards. Will offer a half time cuppa if I go for one, too, if the tog next to me is remotely friendly. Always good to have a reservoir of goodwill that can be tapped into on days when things start going wrong. If you act like a selfish git, word soon gets around so why not make the world a nicer place if you can?

Back