How much to charge for a very small newsletter?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I took some photos a while back and the company contacted me yesterday asking if they could use them in a small newsletter, circulation of 100. They asked if I can advise them about copyright details. I'm not sure if that means they want to know the price, or just what to put on the photo. Either way, to be safe it would be a good idea to give them a price. The question is, how much? I know how much to charge per hour and such, but not per newsletter circulated.

You should state to them that you retain the copyright, and they should make this apparent in the publication (see how they do it in newspapers). You are giving them licence to use the photo in a one off publication for a set fee.

I think.

Yer, but how much should I be charging? £10/copy circulated? £1/copy?

pete, is it targeted circulation, or general? Is it corporate or charity? What are the pics of? I suspect you'll be looking at £20 per pic max for such a low circulation. Unless you were commissioned to do the job, then charge by the hour/half-day/day and include the newsletter licence in that.

I think its just a newsletter for some volunteers for the Liverpool08 team. Liverpool08 is a corporation, but its about the volunteer side. I was grabbed off the street and asked if I could take the shot for them :)

If it's a purely non commercial venture, then I would personally let them use it for free, considering it's such a low circulation, and also the fact it's not for profit.
As long as all other areas are stipulated, ie, it's a one off, copyright remains with you, and of course, you are duly credited.

Ahh I've just read what Liverpool08 is.
I thought it was purely some community based project, but it's the company set up to manage and oversee the City of Culture 2008 :)

So therefore there is a commercial interest, and I would charge. But not much. :) (Plus the fact that you were asked to do it).

If it was me, I would offer the image for free, but negotiate a longer term proposal as an official photographer for the project with payment for an amount of images.
There's potentially 3 years of earnings here for you Pete, if you play your cards right.

Annoyingly I've already tried that and they've recently signed with 2 large companies to do the photography for 08 events.

I would say don't give anything away unless there is some commercial benefit in return. What's your gut feeling? higher or lower than 20? If they actually asked you to take it (in a professional way, ie, not just he dude, why don't you take our picture) then you should try for more.

They asked if I was a member of the press first. I told them I would be speaking to the BBC about the photos I took at the Lord Mayors Parade. He asked if I could take some photos of their volunteer team so I said ok.

CRW_7117.jpg

My gut feeling is £20 seems quite cheap given the company. I might say £50 to license the photo for use in the newsletter.

Straighten it up Pete and charge 'em 50 quid. ;)

Dont forget if you want, you can charge 55 and add the rest of the arm :p

(You know I'm only pulling your leg ;))

And fancy Captain Birdseye not wanting to hold his sign up straight. Spoilsport.

Back