How to avoid buckling/warping

Edit My Images
No
I have decided to frame and mount a few pictures of my own. I had custom frames made and have my 15x10s in them. After a few days I noticed some unsightly marks under the perspex/glass where the picture had buckled slightly and is touching the glass. To start with I thought this was dust, but opened up the frame and it was fine. Do I avoid this by gluing/bonding the photo to the back board of the mount?

Any tips so I can avoid this and keep the photograph flat?

Thanks

Thanks, I will look through the longer video later. I have a back board and the front mount. Do I have to attach those together like the first video? Or can this be done just to the back board and then place the mount on top? I'm a little confused and it looks complicated, although I'm sure it's not when done a few times :)

The T mount holds the top of the photo what stops the buckling from the sides or bottom?

Also in top video when she starts I presume the tabs on the green paper (which is representing the photo) are bonded on with the paste? It doesn't show that step.

Last edited:
Attaching the back board to the front mount makes working with it a lot easier.

Buckling occurs because it is stuck down (paper will expand / contract), you prevent buckling by not sticking it down. When using a T hinge you do not put the top of the T right up to your print, but further away, this allows movement and will help to prevent buckling if done well.

Another way to do it would be with good old fashioned photo corners but remember to leave some space for movement or you will still get buckling!

I guess it really depends on what you are doing with the mounted image afterwards.

If I'm framing then I don't bother attaching the mounted photo to the backboard. It just goes in the frame and the back board sits on top of that.
If you matting the photo but not framing it then I would attach it to the backing board.

Thanks, I will look through the longer video later. I have a back board and the front mount. Do I have to attach those together like the first video? Or can this be done just to the back board and then place the mount on top? I'm a little confused and it looks complicated, although I'm sure it's not when done a few times :)

The T mount holds the top of the photo what stops the buckling from the sides or bottom?

Also in top video when she starts I presume the tabs on the green paper (which is representing the photo) are bonded on with the paste? It doesn't show that step.

As I have always understood it. Fixing on all sides is what causes it to be warping. The t-hinge is a preferred archival method because of it in theory it is reversible without damage. Having 2 short points of fixing on the top edge, whatever method, will reduce warping dramatically. Hinging the mount and backboard together will have zero effect on reducing warping but may help with alignment.

Back