How to get the film out?!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Playing with my new EOS-3 at work today, I loaded a roll of film and accidentally pressed the rewind button on the back. Now I didn't intend to do this as I hadn't taken any photos yet, but the camera went and wound the film into the casing, so there's no leader sticking out anymore :(

Any suggestions for getting it out before me, a bottle opener and a dark bag get up close and personal with this film? :bang:

Theres a wirey hooky thing you can buy, to wangle the leader back out.

Fleabay

you might find one cheaper if you search a bit..

Theres a wirey hooky thing you can buy, to wangle the leader back out.

Fleabay

you might find one cheaper if you search a bit..

Hmm, interesting... I guess since I've learned my lesson now I probably won't make this mistake again... probably will cost half as much to chuck the film over buying this wirey hooky thing. Wonder if I can make one myself...hmmm : :thinking:

i think eos 3 has a custom function to leave some film out of the case when it has rewound

Mine got sucked in all the way....

Muhahaha! :LOL:

OK that one didn't work, but after 10 minutes of trying, this method did work:

1) Wind the film in the lost leader cassette until you hear it just "click"
past the leader slot, then turn it a tiny amount more.
2) Take another roll of film one that has the leader out, lick the leader to
wet it.
3) Put the second leader inside the slot of the first as far as you can.
Make sure the natural "curve" of the films are both inward toward the spool.
4) Start winding the first cassette and gently pushing the second leader in,
until you pull the second cassette leader in about two or three inches.
Until "it takes" in other words. (If it doesn't take the first time go back
to step 1.)
5) Gently pull the leader of the second cassette while unwinding the first
to ease the lost leader out.
6) The two leaders stick together because of your saliva and the fact that
they overlap each other by a couple of inches, the "retriever" leader is
under the "lost" leader during this operation which basically forces the
lost leader to follow the other leader outside the slot. Wallah!!!

From here :woot:

Problem is, though, that all that licking of film has got me feeling a bit weird... :shrug:

Hmm, interesting... I guess since I've learned my lesson now I probably won't make this mistake again

Its not really you're fault, it can happen at any time, after you've shot 24 or 36, it has to be re-wound back into the cassette...:shrug:, hence the availability of hooky wangly leader pullerouters

:)

PMSL:LOL:

There is a custom function on the EOS3 which rewinds the film but leaves the leader out of the cassette.

CANON EOS-3 CUSTOM FUNCTIONS

No. 0

Focusing screen compensation data (Ec-N, Ec-R Ec-A B, C, CH, D, H 1, L)
No. 1

Auto film rewind mode (high speed or silent)
No. 2

Film leader position after rewind (rewound or protruding)
No. 3

Film speed setting method (automatic or manual)
No. 4

AF activation method (AF with halfway pressing of shutter button and AE lock with AE lock button / AF and AE with AE lock button and AE lock with halfway pressing of shutter button / AF with halfway pressing of shutter button and AF suspension with AE lock button / AF and AE with AE lock button and AE with halfway pressing of shutter button)
No. 5

Manual Tv/Av setting method (reverses the function of the Main Dial and Quick Control Dial, enables or disables aperture setting without a lens attached)
No. 6

Increments for shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, flash exposure compensation, and AEB (1/3, 1/2, or whole stops)
No. 7

Manual focusing with electronic focusing ring
No. 8

Frame counter sequence (count up or down)
No. 9

AEB sequence and automatic cancellation
No. 10

Focusing point's superimposition setting (flashes, no flash, brighter flashing)
No. 11

Focusing point selection method (focusing point selector and Main Dial or Quick Control Dial / exposure compensation button and Main Dial or Quick Control Dial / Quick Control Dial only or exposure compensation button and Main Dial or Quick Control Dial / FE lock button and Main Dial or Quick Control Dial)
No. 12

Mirror lockup (enabled or disabled)
No. 13

Spot metering linkage to focusing point (linkage to center focusing point only and 45-point Eye Control enabled / linkage to 11 eye-selectable focusing points / linkage to center focusing point only and 11 -point Eye Control enabled)
No. 14

Fill-flash output control (enabled or disabled)
No. 15

Shutter-curtain flash syrchronization (1st or 2nd curtain sync)
No. 16

Safety shift for shutter-priority AE and aperturepriority AE (enabled or disabled)
No. 17

Manual focusing point selection range (single point / inclusion of surrounding adjacent points / inclusion of surrounding adjacent points plus additional points on the left and right)

Thanks CT - the EOS 3 is a lot more advanced than I thought it would be. More advanced than me anyway! :bonk:

The EOS 3 is possibly the best film camera Canon have produced - I wouldn't crave an EOS 1V over it.

PMSL:LOL:

There is a custom function on the EOS3 which rewinds the film but leaves the leader out of the cassette.

the eos50e has the same feature, the only downside is that your exposed film looks identical to an unexposed one, double exposures anyone :thinking::naughty:

the eos50e has the same feature, the only downside is that your exposed film looks identical to an unexposed one, double exposures anyone :thinking::naughty:

I keep a marker pen in my bag and always write "E" on the end of the leader when the film's finished. If I rewind 1/2 way through, I write "E xx" where xx is the number of frames I've taken - when the film's finished, I just cross out the "xx". Of course, if I've managed to rewind and don't know how many shots I've taken, I take the roll in for D&P and tell the person doing the D&P what's hapened - if the film's blank, I just pay for the developing and if it's 1/2 full, I pay for however many prints there are. For the times I rewind a 1/2 finished film into the cassette, I have one of those film leader retrievers.

Back