Beginner How To Shoot This Differently?

Edit My Images
Yes
Guys, I took quite a few shots like this yesterday and I'm a bit disappointed with the results - the sky and lake appear to be overexposed. What should I do differently next time? This is a Jpg straight out of the camera - I also have raw to play with when I get back home.

It was shot using a Panasonic G80 using the PL15 f1.7 in aperture priority with a polarising filter.

Regards

Chris

Attachments

• FCC23083-5CA0-4559-BB60-7C7EC4D97052.jpeg
    FCC23083-5CA0-4559-BB60-7C7EC4D97052.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 151
Shoot it at a different time of the day with better light.

Either find some foreground interest or remove it all together.

Thanks, I’ve already told my wife I’d like to go back up the mountain to get the sunset.

Regards

Chris

Also remember a beautiful view to you doesn’t always translate to a good photo, when your there the overall feeling is made up of sight, sound, smell, sun/breeze and all that sort of thing, when you show us we loose most of that.

So maybe think “how to bring all this to us” generally you need a point of interest, a focus point, something that draws the eye, what are you trying to show/tell us ?

Then how can you bring that feeling in colours to us ? Is it warm, cold, is it quiet, or is there water noise etc

Hope that makes sense ?

Last edited:
Looks reasonable. The hedge cuts you off from the scene so you'd really want to shoot over it or find some more pleasing foreground. Golden hour light or sunset / sunrise might create more impact. As a daytime image its OK other than the foreground.

Shoot it at a different time of the day with better light.

Either find some foreground interest or remove it all together.

Shooting at the right time in good light is the biggest tip a beginner can take. Good light with a nice view will make even technically not great photos look better. Its also something that I find the most difficult to keep up with. Trying to please my photo desires whilst keeping others happy its not always easy to stay out for the golden hour.

Firstly your composition is really boring, and that's not helping at all, because no matter how perfect you technically got the image, it just wouldn't be an exciting, wow image.

Otherwise to answer your question, better, more exciting lighting would help, as would something of interest in the image.

Assuming you have that, you can then further improve the image with the use of grad filters, and quality RAW processing would help as well.

To be blunt the view is actually rather boring. The lake and landscape look featureless, it all looks very bleak. The others are right that golden hour light would help, but as a photographer you need to develop a critical eye - unfortunately some scenes just don’t work in a 2D photograph. The crop by Elmer doesn’t work either as the lake is cut off, that problem isn’t highlighted so much on the original.

Back