How to sort the problems out in this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah buggery :eek: - that's a first, not only wrong thread, but wrong forum... over on barry boys we are discussing the multitudinous joys of biltong - that will teach me to have two blue on white themed forums open in adjacent windows... as you were :)

You know part of me thinks this thread should end right there!!! :LOL: :LOL:

ah buggery :eek: - that's a first, not only wrong thread, but wrong forum... over on barry boys we are discussing the multitudinous joys of biltong - that will teach me to have two blue on white themed forums open in adjacent windows... as you were :)

You whore :p there's only one forum for me :D

Well two but they live in different post codes ;)

My saffer mates reckon you can make it in the warming oven on the bottom of a rayburn... ive not tried that myself, but its probably less hassle than building a box with a light bulb so I might give it a go

Shouldnt you be in Talk Cookery? :confused:

Just as well you didn't post this over on barry boys !!!!!!

by barryboys standards that's nothing special :LOL:

interesting comparison with this thread - BB has virtually no moderation (apart from locking spam), content is pretty much moderated by consensus , post a personal attack and if its out of order you'll get ripped apart by the membership at large . Behave like a b*****d and someone will let you know. There's considerably less trouble and bad feeling between members than there is here, and its pretty unusual for someone to get banned (apart from spammers, out and out trolls, and the famous case of the guy banned for having an unhealthy intersst in children)

Its not a model that would work for TP but it does show that theres more than one way to shear a maine coon.

I have sadly just spent 5 minutes trying to find u8myufo's first ever post on TP but as you have to go back in time page by page of posts it would probably take about 3 solid days to get there and I would rather watch grass grow !!!
Maybe one of the Mods has a quicker way of locating it ?
Would be interesting to see if it is a "great shot" type post or whether u8myufo issued a warning that it was going to be the first of 14k odd posts over the next 5 years and that any sensible TP'ers should exercise their ignore option !!!

Here you go, knock yourself out

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/hi-to-all.79373/

It would be precisely that though Gaz which causes these issues in the first place. Just like a
relationship, one of you is a bit snappy and the other is thinking
WTF. There is obviously something playing on his/her mind, so unless
you bring it to the table and discuss it then it will escalate and
start eating away at you. I would like to think this thread has been a
healthy one so far with people letting their true feelings be
known. Like you I enjoy looking at peoples shots, what I do not like is
any Bulls*** that goes with
it, it is not needed in here or any other place if you ask me. As has
been mentioned before on this forum, we are all individuals, we are all different with our humour
and we are all different when we put things across to others. When somebody replies to a thread giving his/her opinion or C&C the problem arises when imho the OP does not take time to just pause for thought before responding. Chances are what that person has written is pretty constructive in it`s own right, the way it was put may not
be the best, but hey none of us are perfect.

I agree that it needs to be discussed but it's a shame that what is essentially a minority is causing this issue. Ive never thought of using the like button on on image. I don't offer a critique because a. It's only my opinion which counts for nowt in the real world b. I don't want to tick anyone off because they think I'm knocking their image that they are quite justifiably proud of.

Without wanting to sound like a dick here I dont need anyone to tell me that it's a nice shot. I know it's a nice shot because it meets my own requirements of being happy with the image. I photograph for myself and if others like them great if not it doesn't matter. I'm not a pro, don't sell my images, it's just am expensive hobby and my opinion on my own images is the one that matters.

However I am ok with constructive criticism. Judges will criticise my stuff in comps and sometimes quite harshly. If I think he's got a point I pay attention. If I think he's talking b*****ks I don't.

Some people on here need to stop taking life so seriously and get on with the enjoyment of photography.

Without wanting to sound like a d*** here I dont need anyone to tell me that it's a nice shot. I know it's a nice shot because it meets my own requirements of being happy with the image. I photograph for myself and if others like them great if not it doesn't matter. I'm not a pro, don't sell my images, it's just am expensive hobby and my opinion on my own images is the one that matters.
As someone who has only being photographing birds (stills) for a few years now, I'm going to disagree a bit (politely) with you here Gary. I used to THINK that I knew what a good shot was and I posted them on here for some crit. It was only when I took on-board some of the stuff being said that I began to see what was good and what wasn't. Yes, we all know when a shot is 'good', but some of us need strong critique to point out the less obvious technical aspects of a shot that can be improved at the point of pressing the button. My dipper/grey wagtail post today is a perfect example of this (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/dipper-grey-wagtail.542586/#post-6265105). I like close shots (like the Dipper) so that the bird can be enjoyed in detail, but others prefer to see more of the context of the surroundings. The Grey Waggies are more difficult to get close to, so the critique is more about the framing etc. At the end of the day, as you say I too take shots for myself, but the sensible comments from the TP'ers here have helped me enormously to become a better photographer and long may it continue. (y)

I agree John that there are people on here that can be really helpful in their critique and that can be extremely useful to both experienced and inexperienced photographers. I'm quite lucky in that a lot if my images gets seen by a nber of my friends at the camera club I belong to and they are not shy about pointing out flaws. Some are judges some not. One thing they have in common is a desire to help not to criticise for the sake of it. That is really important. Ultimately I do the best I can in the circumstances at the time. It might be improved by a different crop but sometimes it is what it is because it's the best on the day. Ultimately if you're happy with the image it's a good image. I've seen competition winners that I think are poor technically and compositionally and if they were mine would have visited the recycle bin. I'm probably my harshest critic and over the last couple of years have become very fussy about what I keep and the reasons I'm keeping them for. This is a great site and I hope that everyone can enjoy it.

I've been quite shocked at level of flatulance in this section just recently :eek: but there has been some outside of the bird cage too :(

That or they're just rude :LOL:
:eek:

hmmmmm interesting been away for a couple of weeks for family affairs and then a holiday ,and its like wembley on cup final day .i just post my pics if you like it fair doos if not there'll be another along like a no.38 bus in a little while .some good comments so far but i doubt anything will change much :naughty::naughty::naughty:

as has been suggested, if you hit the ignore button a couple of times after a few days the problems just go away and it's almost like they never existed as you never see their comments or images ever again ….. they just vanish from your browser

Last edited:
:thinking:I have a thought
If we all treated other people how we would like to be treated I doubt there would be a problem:exit:

I've has an idea, each twitcher should be locked in a solitary hide, and not allowed out till they have worked out how to play nice :)

On a serious note, I wonder if more self restraint on the number of threads started, I even wonder if its possible to make a limit on the number of threads that can be posted in any given section per week for example :thinking:

I can honestly see that it's likely before to long some members will take a long walk if things don't improve soon and that's me a pleb that doesn't see much of this section, so god only knows all the different issues the green team are seeing by the way of reports and patterns of behaviour...

Honestly I never realised a few little tweety pies could cause such contention :wacky:

It isn't the number of threads Matt, it's the few who lack people-skills.

It isn't the number of threads Matt, it's the few who lack people-skills.

I don't know about that Roger, I'm fairly sure a certain section of the members has taken issue with a small number of other members starting numerous threads on the same species sometimes the same bird within a few days and seeing this as not being fair to other members threads as these members threads dominate the boards when they could have just had a single thread for all images of that species :shrug:

Reactions: mex
I think limiting the amount of threads could work to a degree lets say you can't post more than 1 Threads on the same subject in the same week then you would have to do what I have done with the short eared owl thread.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/a-short-eared-owl-a-day.536659/
Shame there isn't a way the mods couldn't stop a reply being posted with say less than 50 letters in. That would stop the nice shot comments.
Every thread needs the Author to post the final reply you can only have 6 threads active at any one time
Anyone who indulges in anti social behaviour twice in a month loses their use of the classifieds and have to post 200 times to get it back after a weeks vacation.

I don't know about that Roger, I'm fairly sure a certain section of the members has taken issue with a small number of other members starting numerous threads on the same species sometimes the same bird within a few days and seeing this as not being fair to other members threads as these members threads dominate the boards when they could have just had a single thread for all images of that species :shrug:

That's been one instance Matt.
Apart from that one instance (and does it really matter?) there is a prevalence of abject rudeness at times - there is no need for that, posting in a critique forum is designed to be helpful not just to belittle the O/P.
There are some here who seem to think that they are so special that they should have a forum all on their own ... now perhaps that is a good idea :thinking:

I think limiting the amount of threads could work to a degree lets say you can't post more than 1 Threads on the same subject in the same week then you would have to do what I have done with the short eared owl thread.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/a-short-eared-owl-a-day.536659/
Shame there isn't a way the mods couldn't stop a reply being posted with say less than 50 letters in. That would stop the nice shot comments.
Every thread needs the Author to post the final reply you can only have 6 threads active at any one time
Anyone who indulges in anti social behaviour twice in a month loses their use of the classifieds and have to post 200 times to get it back after a weeks vacation.

You know Richard I've considered all the points you've raised there in the past and personally I believe they would all benefit the whole forum in improving the interaction on the forum and also making the forum fare to all, it must be terribly disheartening to a person that only posts an occasional thread in the bird section to see it pushed off page one in a day or so by dozens of threads by section regulars

That's been one instance Matt.
Apart from that one instance (and does it really matter?) there is a prevalence of abject rudeness at times - there is no need for that, posting in a critique forum is designed to be helpful not just to belittle the O/P.
There are some here who seem to think that they are so special that they should have a forum all on their own ... now perhaps that is a good idea :thinking:

Your correct Roger there has only from memory been one particularly notable member who is/was guilty of it to an extreme but there are several that even in my limited ventures into section maybe start a few too many threads in a short period of time...it's a difficult one as it is very subjective, how many is too many :LOL: I'm glad I don't have to make that call

Sorry Matt I don't see it, it's a photography forum and the more images the better ... images don't get knocked off the pages, if they are popular they get noticed.
I've posted lots of rubbish and it gets filtered to the bottom of the pit, if I post something better it stays longer ... everyone is the same - I just don't see the need to get all het-up just because someone post a lot of good images.
Yes if you have a particular project, fine keep it in one thread but otherwise it's just giving reasons to discourage members and possibly send them elsewhere.

You know Richard I've considered all the points you've raised there in the past and personally I believe they would all benefit the whole forum in improving the interaction on the forum and also making the forum fare to all, it must be terribly disheartening to a person that only posts an occasional thread in the bird section to see it pushed off page one in a day or so by dozens of threads by section regulars

Matt ;)You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink :naughty: It needs everyone to get on board with the idea it's the only way there would be an improvement.

Sorry Matt I don't see it, it's a photography forum and the more images the better ... images don't get knocked off the pages, if they are popular they get noticed.
I've posted lots of rubbish and it gets filtered to the bottom of the pit, if I post something better it stays longer ... everyone is the same - I just don't see the need to get all het-up just because someone post a lot of good images.
Yes if you have a particular project, fine keep it in one thread but otherwise it's just giving reasons to discourage members and possibly send them elsewhere.

I'd never want to stop people posting images, as you rightly say photos is what this place is about but I would say its probably the rubbish photos that should get the most attention in reality as those are going to be the ones where the most help to improve is actually needed

Matt ;)You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink :naughty: It needs everyone to get on board with the idea it's the only way there would be an improvement.

All too true unfortunately :(

I'm not sure the term rubbish should be applied anywhere nor a limit on photos, I certainly don't see anyone really complaining about amounts posted

Sent from The Moon.....

It's not about anything other than good manners and if that is not possible proper and independant control by the Moderators

If something goes amiss it is up to the Moderators to sort it out effectively

Last edited:
It's not about anything other than good manners and if that is not possible proper and independant control by the Moderators

If something goes amiss it is up to the Moderators to sort it out effectively

Indeed that is essentially what it boils down to on all parts, it's people not being rude to each other and also people being considerate to everyone's use of the forum on all levels

The moderators have an unenviable task of striking a balance of trusting people to act like civilised adults and punishing mis behaviour, as if the come down hard on ever infraction they look draconian if they don't they look soft / tolerant on misbehaviour :(

The rules of any forum are quite simple …….. these rules should be moderated in a straightforward and unbiased way ……. this happens on many other forums ……. it is not rocket science

some of the words that have been posted by a few, concerning the posted image have not been good; some of the words said, by a few, NOT concerning the subject posted have been equally as bad …….. perhaps, more importantly the way that these words have been conveyed, have sometimes been ill-mannered with no concern for the OP or other members of the forum. Disrespect being the order of the day.

Sadly, it seems that this is not new, (I have only been a member for a short time), and that it has happened before.

Asking the audiance "how to sort out the problems in this section" seems a last, even desperate act to find a solution to a problem that cannot be solved, or more importantly, their is a lack of desire to find a solution ……… whether this question be put by a member or moderator.

Some regards this as amusing and therefore the style of the section continues

The solution is clear - it's called moderation …….. or should I have used a capital M

Last edited:
The rules of any forum are quite simple …….. these rules should be moderated in a straightforward and unbiased way ……. this happens on many other forums ……. it is not rocket science

some of the words that have been posted by a few, concerning the posted image have not been good; some of the words said, by a few, NOT concerning the subject posted have been equally as bad …….. perhaps, more importantly the way that these words have been conveyed, have sometimes been ill-mannered with no concern for the OP or other members of the forum. Disrespect being the order of the day.

Sadly, it seems that this is not new, (I have only been a member for a short time), and that it has happened before.

Asking the audiance "how to sort out the problems in this section" seems a last, even desperate act to find a solution to a problem that cannot be solved, or more importantly, their is a lack of desire to find a solution ……… whether this question be put by a member or moderator.

Some regards this as amusing and therefore the style of the section continues

The solution is clear - it's called moderation …….. or should I have used a capital M

I think part of this issue is a lot of this forum is very social and I love that, I've actually met I think close to 300 members of this forum in person, hell some have even been to my home...I've even got a reasonable number of members who I consider friends, the issue with this more personal nature of the forum is to be fully moderated you almost need the moderators of the forum to almost autonomous from that community spirt making them almost not part of the forum and almost above it and I'd really not like to part of that community..I love that I know kind of what the different members of the team are like, that they have different personalities etc

I do think sometimes greater clear consistency could be good as sometimes it appears different moderators enforce/moderate to a greater/lesser degree, but that's a floored evaluation on my part because all I see is the end action, I don't see any discussion in the background between the moderating team

I think part of this issue is a lot of this forum is very social and I love that, I've actually met I think close to 300 members of this forum in person, hell some have even been to my home...I've even got a reasonable number of members who I consider friends, the issue with this more personal nature of the forum is to be fully moderated you almost need the moderators of the forum to almost autonomous from that community spirt making them almost not part of the forum and almost above it and I'd really not like to part of that community..I love that I know kind of what the different members of the team are like, that they have different personalities etc

I do think sometimes greater clear consistency could be good as sometimes it appears different moderators enforce/moderate to a greater/lesser degree, but that's a floored evaluation on my part because all I see is the end action, I don't see any discussion in the background between the moderating team

There is usually no need for a Moderator to discuss anything with a member or if they discuss a subject between themselves to make known to the members why a decision was made ……… decisions are usually made according to the rules. There is no reason why a Moderator should not be friendly with any member, indeed this is usual, but that is separate from their job as Moderator. When it is clear from a members perspective that a Moderator should have stepped in because the Forum rules have been broken, that is when a problem can be replicated or a "forum" style can be continued.

As I said, I feel that moderation is needed, but that is only my opinion, maybe from afar.

Last edited:
f*** it theres some right arseholes on this forum, complete t***s who find picking on others fun, its always the same people picking on the same people!

f*** it theres some right arseholes on this forum, complete t***s who find picking on others fun, its always the same people picking on the same people!

Please click report when you see bullying on the forum as that is effectively what you've described and it should not be tolerated, and I'm confident if its reported enough the team will take action...

Unfortunately, such activity goes unchecked. It is a part of the culture of this place. The language that I have witnessed towards others is actually amongst the worst I have seen on any forum. Such comments are not removed, the attacks remain in place for all to see. Such activity is tolerated here. This behaviour is a part of the normal way of doing things, indeed it is a part of the forum humour. There appears to be no sanction and anything goes. I am not trying to flame anyone here by the way or stir things up. :) To be honest, it's such a shame. I have received some great help when posting images on TP but I have not posted any for weeks now because of all the nonsense that goes on.

Mind you, I am getting better at steering clear of the minority now. :)

Last edited:
I struggle to get my head around people complaining about others posting comments like (good shot) or (well done) etc. feeling that they should only offer critique? but if that was the case and someone posted an absolutely brilliant shot that was beyond critique then by this way of thinking the shot would be totally ignored cos no one would be allowed to say (great shot) or whatever. I am sure the poster would be rightly aggrieved that no one had even bothered to congratulate them on a brilliant photo?
I suppose you can find fault in anything but giving critique for the sake of making a post could then be seen as sour grapes. surely it would be better to say (great shot). T.

I struggle to get my head around people complaining about others posting comments like (good shot) or (well done) etc. feeling that they should only offer critique? but if that was the case and someone posted an absolutely brilliant shot that was beyond critique then by this way of thinking the shot would be totally ignored cos no one would be allowed to say (great shot) or whatever. I am sure the poster would be rightly aggrieved that no one had even bothered to congratulate them on a brilliant photo?
I suppose you can find fault in anything but giving critique for the sake of making a post could then be seen as sour grapes. surely it would be better to say (great shot). T.

I don't think anyone minds people posting positive comments about great photos, but I have to say for myself it very rare that I see a fantastic photo that I'm not able to articulate further as to why I like it..."great shot" type comments are nice to receive but they actually do nothing to tell/explain to the OP or other maybe less experienced members why it or some other photo might be considered to be "great" all I ever want to see when people post "great shot" et al is why they think that also...

Some people on the forum do appear pathologically adverse to adding any additional value to their contributions

Unfortunately, such activity goes unchecked. It is a part of the culture of this place. The language that I have witnessed towards others is actually amongst the worst I have seen on any forum. Such comments are not removed, the attacks remain in place for all to see. Such activity is tolerated here. This behaviour is a part of the normal way of doing things, indeed it is a part of the forum humour. There appears to be no sanction and anything goes. I am not trying to flame anyone here by the way or stir things up. :) To be honest, it's such a shame. I have received some great help when posting images on TP but I have not posted any for weeks now because of all the nonsense that goes on.

Mind you, I am getting better at steering clear of the minority now. :)

This sums up how I am beginning to feel ... a bit like I have to conform to some ideal of a vocal and rude minority or I shouldn't post - it does nothing to encourage new ones or those who are not so 'accomplished'. It's not new and it needs to be dealt with for the good of the forum.

This sums up how I am beginning to feel ... a bit like I have to conform to some ideal of a vocal and rude minority or I shouldn't post - it does nothing to encourage new ones or those who are not so 'accomplished'. It's not new and it needs to be dealt with for the good of the forum.
X2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back