How to sort the problems out in this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sums up how I am beginning to feel ... a bit like I have to conform to some ideal of a vocal and rude minority or I shouldn't post - it does nothing to encourage new ones or those who are not so 'accomplished'. It's not new and it needs to be dealt with for the good of the forum.

:plus1:

I've always communicated with people how I would expect to be communicated with...I'm all to aware there are members that don't like me for what ever reason there's one even that isn't all that good at hiding it :LOL: I'm not too worried about that, I don't post to be liked conversely however I don't post to be disliked either. I try and be polite at all times, obviously I fail in that occasionally but so do the best of us...it's almost apparent that as some point in time some members will likely have to leave for the greater good of the forum, it's will be a sad day as I know the greenies take no pleasure in it

Just popped back in to the bird section to see how things are going :tumbleweed:

Matt ;)You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink :naughty: It needs everyone to get on board with the idea it's the only way there would be an improvement.

If you lay his head in the trough and kick him in the balls hard enough, beleive me he will take a sharp intake of breath and suck more than enough water up ;)

I post in here hoping for honest feedback and advice, obviously I prefer that feedback and advice to be constructive, but I'm old enough, ugly enough and thick skinned enough that if someone thinks my stuff is crap and says so then that's fine too. Personally I would never talk to people the way I've seen some people act on this forum, but whether you let it bother you or not is the main key. I've been on forums that are a lot better, but I've been on some that are a hell of a lot worse too.

You
If you lay his head in the trough and kick him in the balls hard enough, beleive me he will take a sharp intake of breath and suck more than enough water up ;)

You haven't changed Rich still as subtle as ever.
Regards
Richard
Where are the smileys and emicons gone i can't seem to find any.

Last edited:
I just don't feel the need for the little comments subtly made at others, both in this section and in others. Pretty fed up of the bickering I see here, it's why i post so little now. It's a shame really as there are some really nice people. I often note as well unless you're one of the 'popular' ones here, people's posts often get overlooked.

Popular Ones!! It's the same everywhere. I very rarely post in the bird section any more. Some don't take criticism well and some go out of their way to criticise. I'm another who doesn't like the sniping. If you have something constructive to say then say it. If you don't like the image because its not your thing then say nothing. You're not adding to the conversation.

There also seems to be a growing amount of chatting going on in threads, now this may sound stupid given pretty much the whole essence of a forum is community/communication but what I'm referring to is a growing number of threads that go completely off topic with a group of members just having an off topic chat :( this is all well and good in OOF and frankly I'm as guilty as some others of doing it in the past so it's possibly hypocritical to even broach the subject but it seems a growing issue

There also seems to be a growing amount of chatting going on in threads, now this may sound stupid given pretty much the whole essence of a forum is community/communication but what I'm referring to is a growing number of threads that go completely off topic with a group of members just having an off topic chat :( this is all well and good in OOF and frankly I'm as guilty as some others of doing it in the past so it's possibly hypocritical to even broach the subject but it seems a growing issue

Tell me you are having a Bubble Bath here Matt. Where is the problem of going off topic so long as the OP does not complain about it? In all honesty, I would find going off topic and discussing the contents of a block of wood far more refreshing than the two worded replies the majority of threads seem to get when it comes down to C&C.

Tell me you are having a Bubble Bath here Matt. Where is the problem of going off topic so long as the OP does not complain about it? In all honesty, I would find going off topic and discussing the contents of a block of wood far more refreshing than the two worded replies the majority of threads seem to get when it comes down to C&C.

I long to see more quality critique rather than the "nice shot" though I'm getting tired also of some that seem to have an aversion to posting any negativity, personally I take no pleasure having to point out negative aspects of a photo but then if your able to help someone improve that is a pleasure (y) but there is a point where general off topic chatter bogs down the section, do you really think its a good idea to have threads constantly pushed to the top of page one by inane chatter while other critique threads get pushed further down the forum and quickly off page one?

Reactions: den

Exactly Rich!!.. there has been numerous threads taken off topic especially in macro,all OP's have quite happily on all occasions said carry on it's hilarious, joined in etc etc etc and much better than the bitching and such like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every body enjoying the World Cup so far?

Christ, thing ain't half kicking off in Iraq eh?

Interest rates seem as though they'll be going up up soon. Good news for savers but not so good for first time buyers. The Government help to buy facility might help some tho.

Last edited:
Did you know all the clocks in Pulp Fiction are stuck at 4.20 (Cg, I know you know).;)

Who thinks Matt should be made a Mod?

Where is the problem of going off topic so long as the OP does not complain about it? .
Exactly Rich!!.. there has been numerous threads taken off topic especially in macro,all OP's have quite happily on all occasions said carry on it's hilarious, joined in etc etc etc and much better than the bitching and such like.
As we are talking about the birding forum, specifically, I have to agree.
Maybe thats the problem, people taking themselves far
Most other photo sharing sections, manage to have a laugh, and do get side tracked.
Hardly anyone complains, except maybe from the business section where some "serious issues" get discussed,
and the OP gets frustrated.
TBH I can't remember the last time that happened though.

So yes I agree, lighten up, have a laugh and a joke,
snide remarks carried from thread to thread,
do not come under that category BTW ;)

Edit and right on cue the the comedians have clocked in :D

whawhatw
Most other photo sharing sections, manage to have a laugh, and do get side tracked.
Hardly anyone complains, except maybe from the business section where some "serious issues" get discussed,

what?

is there a popcorn emoticon, its intense reading, this thread :) btw, I've only posted a few birdie threads, I dont know my ducks from geese, buts thats ok, Im glad someone points it out for me. I dont think i've had anything really bad posted, just a few comments that havent been useful (as far as C&C). Must go post more bird pics and annoy the haters :D

is there a popcorn emoticon, its intense reading, this thread :) btw, I've only posted a few birdie threads, I dont know my ducks from geese, buts thats ok, Im glad someone points it out for me. I dont think i've had anything really bad posted, just a few comments that havent been useful (as far as C&C). Must go post more bird pics and annoy the haters :D

You don't have to go to the Bird Forum for that:cool::)

whawhatw
what?
What part of that escaped you Ade?
Please feel free to elaborate and I'll and be more specific in my reply (y)

Which brings us full circle once again. And as I have mentioned numerous times in the past,when something was pointed out which looked out of place in a picture or totaly wrong, it was always met with either an agree by the OP or disagree.Either way it would still be discussed and there would always be a bit of jollity and going off topic along the way. Others would also chip in and give there two penneth worth, but one thing always remained and that was somebody came away from the thread having learnt something.

What part of that escaped you Ade?
Please feel free to elaborate and I'll and be more specific in my reply (y)
i think you missed some words out.

Which brings us full circle once again. And as I have mentioned numerous times in the past,when something was pointed out which looked out of place in a picture or totaly wrong, it was always met with either an agree by the OP or disagree.Either way it would still be discussed and there would always be a bit of jollity and going off topic along the way. Others would also chip in and give there two penneth worth, but one thing always remained and that was somebody came away from the thread having learnt something.

The thing is though there is a vast difference between have a discussion over the critique received and completely off topic chat, the latter is to the detriment of not only this section but actually most sections, now I'm not suggesting the entire forum be sanitised of personal comments and chat but it also must be acknowledged that there is also a limit to how much is desirable and appropriate

I long to see more quality critique rather than the "nice shot" though I'm getting tired also of some that seem to have an aversion to posting any negativity, personally I take no pleasure having to point out negative aspects of a photo but then if your able to help someone improve that is a pleasure (y)
I am new on here but have been photographing birds for many years, I recently tried to give my point of view on an image and then promptly found the RTM was used….funny thing is he never had the decency to even explain why he took offence, but see he has liked this comment you made so Im confused….not sure what I've done wrong but it looks as though MWHCVT made this comment rather than me…. please excuse as I'm still learning to find my way around

Last edited:
You really need to use the "ignore", i would be interested to see who's on the most "ignored list" if the mods have one, maybe it's me :thinking: :woot:
The bird section is never going to be how it was when i first joined, a lot of very helpful people don't bother these days which is a shame for everyone and it seems to be a bit to serious now.

Yes Tracey, You'll find the place suffers from ignorance and hypocrisy at times and folk who can't take any kind of criticism whether constructive or not and crave only attention and adulation (which is really what this Thread is all about IIRC). The dummy gets spat and the RTM button gets zapped.

Oh, ping there it goes again:)

Last edited:
You really need to use the "ignore", i would be interested to see who's on the most "ignored list" if the mods have one, maybe it's me :thinking: :woot:
The bird section is never going to be how it was when i first joined, a lot of very helpful people don't bother these days which is a shame for everyone and it seems to be a bit to serious now.
Who said that? :confused:

Yes Tracey, You'll find the place suffers from ignorance and hypocrisy at times and folk who can't take any kind of criticism whether constructive or not and crave only attention and adulation (which is really what this Thread is all about IIRC). The dummy gets spat and the RTM button gets zapped.

At least your replies get more likes than your pictures :D

i would be interested to see who's on the most "ignored list" if the mods have one,
Actually we don't / can't see that bit.
But yeah now I'm curious too :D

i think you missed some words out.

Indeed I did what a plonker :rolleyes:
The missing words of course are "Too seriously"

Thanks Ade (y)

You'll find the place suffers from ignorance and hypocrisy at times and folk who can't take any kind of criticism whether constructive or not and crave only attention and adulation (which is really what this Thread is all about IIRC). The dummy gets spat and the RTM button gets zapped.

Indeed, 30 times that has to be a record, in one hour :p

Seriously, I don't see why it should, you can't RTM the truth.
Well you can but it gets ignored ;)

I figured that Chris, thought I'd spam the thread with some derailing, meaningless chattering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back