How to sort the problems out in this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
No admin nor mods intervention required.

So you think ABC is a complete tool and a post whore, maybe an outspoken git or just somebody who grates your nerves.

When you log on, your username is top right, click that mother,scroll down the right hand side and you will find a tab, it is called "people you ignore", click that. You then get a screen saying "member to ignore".Type the username of the git who is annoying the crap out of you in there,then click save changes.

Not rocket science and it works, problem solved.You don`t see what the weapons grade bell end posts. So you don`t comment or get involved in any angst.

Carry on Gents.

Mind you, a bit of clarity and fairness by all would not go amiss.

there is an even simpler solution though

Don't post like a complete wassock - if everybody follows that one simple guideline there will be no more trouble and no need for anyone to ignore anyone (y)

So, this birding section then, is it a hotbed of post whores or are you birders just a bit over sensitive. I always thought you were a bit more robust than that Ade, doesn't Brash frequent this section too I never thought of him as a shrinking violet, well we live and learn :)

I Don't come in here too often, might have to check it out more.

Steve

Fair one Ade, so I take it when you leave feedback on someones image they have posted up on forums for crit, and you dont get a reply, they have you on their ignore list ?

Last edited:
I've been quite shocked at level of petulance in this section just recently :eek: but there has been some outside of the bird cage too :(

Fair one Ade, so I take it when you leave feedback on someones image they have posted up on forums for crit, and you dont get a reply, they have you on their ignore list ?

That or they're just rude :LOL:

So, this birding section then, is it a hotbed of post whores or are you birders just a bit over sensitive. I always thought you were a bit more robust than that Ade, doesn't Brash frequent this section too I never thought of him as a shrinking violet, well we live and learn :)

I Don't come in here too often, might have to check it out more.

Steve
I really could not give a sh@t mate. I just thought the above may get the section back on track, if it does,great, if it doesn`t, then so be it.

Sensitivity is not an emotion that I i`m interested in.

No idea bud. Have I not replied to you anywhere?

If I have, then I do apologise.

It's pretty simple.

1) act your age. Kids do the sly playground style antics not adults. Misuse of the 'like' button on here has a lot to answer for

2) post as if you're speaking to someone face to face not on a forum.

3) read the above comments about wassocks and the ignore function

Sensitivity is not an emotion that I i`m interested in.

It seems there's no place for humour either. It was meant as a lighthearted post mate.

No idea bud. Have I not replied to you anywhere?

If I have, then I do apologise.

No Sir, replys I have left for others and they dont even bother to reply, that really P.....s me off, thinking if I where on their ignore list they would not see my post on their image posted

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
It seems there's no place for humour either. It was meant as a lighthearted post mate.
I know, I guess that did not come across bud............:)

It's pretty simple.

1) act your age. Kids do the sly playground style antics not adults. Misuse of the 'like' button on here has a lot to answer for

Children also do the RTM line, so maybe all should use the ignore function until things settle down.

This section is losing way too many excellent bird photographers and some newcomers look and don`t bother posting, some of these newcomers are a fantastic source of knowledge, but they look at some of the posts and think "Na, b****x to it".

Children also do the RTM line, so maybe all should use the ignore function until things settle down.

This section is losing way too many excellent bird photographers and some newcomers look and don`t bother posting, some of these newcomers are a fantastic source of knowledge, but they look at some of the posts and think "Na, b****x to it".

OK, can't stay out any longer - if more people did the ignore thing, the RTM button pretty much wouldn't be needed for anything other than mundane, 'posted in the wrong section' stuff [which btw, technically this thread is, but on this occasion, appropriateness outweighs literal] . (y)

[which btw, technically this thread is, but on this occasion, appropriateness outweighs literal] . (y)

I thought it was pertinent Yvonne, but happy to be admonished a northern lass,on this occasion..............:D

But we're asked by the mods to use RTM rather than start giving it out in somones thread, so surely we should play by the rules laid out here by the admins and mods.

Too many in here really need to decide whether they want to be helpful members or just move on elsewhere. It's the same people all the time who thread spoil whilst not adding anything to the section.

If you don't like someones attitude or posting style, ignore their threads. It's not rocket science, even I manage it.

All the regulars know where the battle lines are drawn so ignore and move on

Reactions: den
But we're asked by the mods to use RTM rather than start giving it out in somones thread, so surely we should play by the rules laid out here by the admins and mods.

Too many in here really need to decide whether they want to be helpful members or just move on elsewhere. It's the same people all the time who thread spoil whilst not adding anything to the section.

If you don't like someones attitude or posting style, ignore their threads. It's not rocket science, even I manage it.

Correct ref the rtm button but frankly all the mods and admin would prefer that the rtm button wasn't needed in the first place and if that means using the ignore feature because you haven't got the will to ignore certain folks otherwise, do it. lets try and get this section back on track and back to the fantastic section it could be.

This Section does need some hard hitting moves to get it back on track IMHO, It annoys me that people wind others up on here for a classic example the post on the recent Heron eating Duckling thread with whatever his name is saying he thinks there wrong and shouldn't be posted etc. That is the type of people that the mods should be hitting hard on if you ask me, as there the sources of it all. Its a critique thread, If you don't like whats happening in the images then simply don't post and just move on, I must say my mate had alook at the bird section of the forum the other week as he was looking to join the forum and said to me ' the hole birding section just looks like a load of pointless b*tching' This is not setting a good rep for outside birders to get into the forum currently, How many other people out there are like my mate? thinking naa Iam not joining that Joke, and if you have a look though some of the threads some are not exactly friendly to say the least, and I agree with Ade, If your a newbie to this section or looking to join this section of the Forum doesn't look nice at all currently. Its like a derailed train.

Last edited:
Joe, whilst I agree with pretty much everything you say about how the section has been looking, I don't think its productive to start naming specific posts and threads. The fact Ade has posted this, rather than a member of staff pretty much demonstrates it's time to move on, ignore those you don't get on with or threads that aren't to your taste and get on with actually enjoying this section for what it is.

No admin nor mods intervention required.

So you think ABC is a complete tool and a post whore, maybe an outspoken git or just somebody who grates your nerves.

Hi Ade
It's a bit difficult to form an opinion about forum user ABC as although he or she has been a member here since Sept 2010 they haven't actually ever posted anything. He or she may well be a complete tool though !!!!!!!

If you use the ignore rather than RTM a myriad of posts that you don`t like, surely that is better for all concerned.

There are problems and differences of opinion, neither "side" is right or wrong and they certainly are not going to agree.The fact that you think it is the same people all time, proves the point that the problem will not go away.

I do ignore people on here, so it certainly isn`t rocket science.

I can't see anything in this thread cos in ignoring everyone except for Yv...

Yes everyone can use the 'ignore' button but it is defeated when someone quotes it in post and TBH there are a small number of members who can be guaranteed to cause upset ... should everyone change because of them?

Yes everyone can use the 'ignore' button but it is defeated when someone quotes it in post and TBH there are a small number of members who can be guaranteed to cause upset ... should everyone change because of them?

I think the point gramps is that this not aimed at those that don't need to change, just those that do... ;)

I'd never ignore you Yv - you're lovely! *creep, creep*

*makes mental note to scribble a little mark against Deans name in the book* :whistle:

I have only one person on ignore and their posts don't show when others quote them?

I think the point gramps is that this not aimed at those that don't need to change, just those that do... ;)

I do understand that Yv ... what I don't understand is why someone who is persistently objectionable is allowed to continue to be given a platform.

There is also an issue of ignored people coming up when you use the mobile app.

Hi All
Ade this post has made me smile a bit the reason why is I was thinking of a similar thread :)
As a few of the older members will notice I have been very intermittent in my postings these days. That's because we have had a lot of things going on over the last couple of years and a lot of bitching and moaning had put me off the forum for a time and after being ill i hate negativity.
That said If i had gone by posts alone ;) in the old days i would have thought half the members on here were tools at one time or another :sneaky:
Joking aside all the people i have met off this forum i have liked meeting they probably can't say the same about me :D
Trouble is we are all different and maybe we are all getting a bit thin skinned over things.
I have noticed older members are less helpful to newer members these days. We all had to learn somewhere.
I have also noticed people taking sides maybe like you said we all need to take a step back and think about what we are posting for the sake of clarity and fairness
Just maybe we should all try and get along even with people we think we don't like. The written word can be a lot sharper than the spoken word and it's there in black and white for all to see.

Maybe we should all have a trail week where we try to be nice to one another for the Mods sake :whistle: Ignore buttons off and post with a smile :exit:I'm going before the mods read it and decide to lynch me for the idea. :naughty:

Regards
Richard

But as annoying as you may think some people are, surely as an adult you can flick past a comment from an 'ignored' member that technology has failed to pick up on.

On here at the moment though, the spoilers are out to troll and cause trouble and clearly get enjoyment out of it

Last edited:
I do understand that Yv ... what I don't understand is why someone who is persistently objectionable is allowed to continue to be given a platform.

Gramps, you have been here long enough to know that we don't just ban someone for being not to everyones taste. Several suspensions [and even a couple of bans] have been handed out in this section recently and contrary to what a few think, we really don't enjoy doing that but will if that is what it takes to get the place back on track. As Ade is suggesting, using the ignore feature of your own free will to help with that could make life easier for everyone in here [everyone generally I mean, not you specifically] - both those that have been involved in the troubles, and those having to witness it.

There is also an issue of ignored people coming up when you use the mobile app.

No idea Dean, the app is a total mystery to me as on the odd occasion I browse on my phone I use the browser anyway. However, if that is an issue, could you pop a post in the help section, as its something we may need to contact the app developers about.

Gramps, you have been here long enough to know that we don't just ban someone for being not to everyones taste. Several suspensions [and even a couple of bans] have been handed out in this section recently and contrary to what a few think, we really don't enjoy doing that but will if that is what it takes to get the place back on track. As Ade is suggesting, using the ignore feature of your own free will to help with that could make life easier for everyone in here [everyone generally I mean, not you specifically] - both those that have been involved in the troubles, and those having to witness it.

No idea Dean, the app is a total mystery to me as on the odd occasion I browse on my phone I use the browser anyway. However, if that is an issue, could you pop a post in the help section, as its something we may need to contact the app developers about.
I'll have a look and see if there is a feature on it first, but if not I'll drop a note in the help forum.

Interesting thread - I am (was) relatively new to the forum plus I have been around a bit so have seen lots of "forum behaviour" - and, (must get my dig in early), it is something I find quite interesting as at my age it's been a long time since I saw my kids grow up.

Initially I found some members of this PHOTOGRAPHIC Bird section quick to respond in what I perceived to be a less than friendly way, but equally others were the complete opposite. I also find that some members lack a basic knowledge, even the name of the bird, that they had photographed and seem just to want to "press the shutter" in a 11 fps sort of way, and this surprised me, but again I equally found some member very knowledgeable.

I realise that this is a PHOTOGRAPHIC section first and the bird bit takes a very poor second because, IMHO, it has been driven that way by a "select" few. IMHO it could be a lot more than it is, but maybe that is just my preference.

New members are not treated "well", whether intentionally or not and disparaging comments are made by a few as a matter of course, (and I am not sure whether sometimes positive comments by a few are just taking the p1ss or not).. General comments and even constructive criticism can be taken the wrong way and that is usually the start of the problem. I have found that you need to be very careful in the words that you use as some are always looking to pick up on word errors to exploit.

Technical knowledge about the subject is not usually the norm and, after a few months I am not sure that it is even appreciated.

The quality of the images presented on the Forum is very high and many continue to strive for improvement, which can be frustrating, especially if others do not see what is trying to be achieved. There are some good "image takers" around but this is not unusual in this digital world which has put so much power in the hands of many, (that's a good thing before I am taken the wrong way).

As indicated in this thread I think that the section is let down by a few individuals who should know better, but generally the support from others makes involvement worthwhile.

I quite like the intervention of the mods as it can make a 'dull day" interesting. Use the ignore button if that is your preference but it is always difficult to change people's attitudes as they are mostly ingrained in their personality.

Personal feeling tend to be driven by the actions of a few and IMHO it is a problem of just a few, it is a pity that certain things happen, does no good, but that's life and it will continue.

I'd leave as is and let the Mods do their job …… much more amusing

The ramblings of an OAP

Last edited:

Yv, there's "not being to everyone's taste" (I'm sure I'm not), but then there is being offensive ... and a number are quite frankly offensive, often repeatedly and frankly in line with their 'modus operandi' :)

Can someone tell me what original post was I can't see it. Guessing its someone I ignored!!! Lol

Totally agree to OP, as I have recently started looking in this section and have thought there been some weird and nasty posts that neither constructive nor helpful to OP but rather just personal attacks.

Last edited:
nothing like a bit of scandal to spice up life ……….. especially when you are retired, it's p1ssing it down and not fit to get outside
(Even in "sunny" SW France)

Last edited:
I've also been thinking about this sort of thread but for slightly different reasons. It strikes me that there are a few different 'types' in this forum, but these 'types' can merge a bit.

There are newcomers posting relatively crap shots and (hopefully) looking for advice.
There are intermediates (like me) who genuinely want to learn and genuinely welcome constructive critique.
There are seasoned campaigners who want to show their efforts but are probably beyond the average users critique.

The thing that troubles me the most is the ego massaging. The one line posts stating the bleedin' obvious! "Lovely shot", "Great Work", "Superb". There is a 'LIKE' button for this, rather than just upping your post count by one.

I'd much rather see twenty likes below a picture, than twenty posts telling someone how great a shot is like a sycophantic record on repeat.

Quite why people feel the need to troll is beyond me (like my recent chap on the Heron/Duckling thread). I agree that the mods could possibly take more direct action when these people raise their ugly heads. I now have that chap on my ignore list (he's the only one), but I didn't know he was a feckwit before posting on that thread and hence couldn't have ignored him earlier. Some of what he said was difficult to ignore too.

I just wish the section was used primarily for constructive critique to help people improve. Perhaps a separate section for people to show-off their nice pics when they probably don't want (or need?) critique is an idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back