How to sort the problems out in this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sensible head on, for a change. One thing that has changed recently is the lack of crit or comments on other peoples threads. Just check the first three pages in this section, the vast majority of threads have single figure replies, many only one or two. People do not crit shots anymore, for whatever reason.That is the main difference between the forum as it is now compared to a few years back. The reason i rarely post crit is that i got fed up of the negative reaction by individuals to any form of crit. So i don't bother much anymore unless i know the op will take it as i mean it. So I'm as much to blame as many others in that aspect.

Nick, How is saying "Like it" constructive …… not followed by anything

Thanks is the appropriate response

I didnt say it was constructive, Bill. Generally though, considering that a lot of people get offended a little too easily on here with what is said in critique, a 'Like', although not exactly constructive in critique terms, isnt very likely to cause anyone offense.

Just looking at someones photo, and simply saying "Its crap, I dont like it" is a little different. Personally, if someone said that about one of my photos, I wouldnt give a damn, but others take offense. This blow would probably be a little softer if some kind of actual help was offered afterwards. "Its crap, I dont like it...but if you had done...if you had adjusted... etc etc

I didnt say it was constructive, Bill. Generally though, considering that a lot of people get offended a little too easily on here with what is said in critique, a 'Like', although not exactly constructive in critique terms, isnt very likely to cause anyone offense.

Just looking at someones photo, and simply saying "Its crap, I dont like it" is a little different. Personally, if someone said that about one of my photos, I wouldnt give a damn, but others take offense. This blow would probably be a little softer if some kind of actual help was offered afterwards. "Its crap, I dont like it...but if you had done...if you had adjusted... etc etc

Shirley …...The UK has gone too PC

my comments were mild compared with what I felt about the image, from both a technical and asthetic standpoint … so I held back and tried to bring in an amusing aspect

Last edited:
Are you serious?
Totally! Two pages of 'Great Shot' do nothing for me at all. A dozen 'likes' plus a couple of proper constructive critiques serves all my purposes, without the needless bandwidth of useless two-word posts. I mean, what's not to like about a 'like'?:whistle:

Shirley …...The UK has gone too PC

my comments were mild compared with what I felt about the image, from both a technical and asthetic standpoint … so I held back and tried to bring in an amusing aspect

Couldnt agree more about the whle 'PC' thing, but unfortunately, that is the world we now live in.

You have to remember that not everyone will get someone elses 'humour'. So, perhaps if you really didnt have anything good to say about the image, you really shouldnt have said anything at all.

Couldnt agree more about the whle 'PC' thing, but unfortunately, that is the world we now live in.

So, perhaps if you really didnt have anything good to say about the image, you really shouldnt have said anything at all.

There endeth Lesson one of the Bird Section …. or of this forum ………………….

I was born in Yorkshire - many many years ago - and (unfortunately for today's generation), it's in my nature

Beginning to remind me of another Forum where a few guys on there have nearly 100,000 postings consisting of mainly "marvellous capture"

Last edited:
I'd rather see the wild and free section mean totally wild and free to find its own food. I do appreciate the effort which is typically employed in the baited / paid-for shots, but it's just not my 'thing'. I mean no harm to those who do it though.

It's a bit like the Isle of Man TT and Formula 1 Racing. The two have virtually no correlation, but the uninitiated will call them both motor-sport.

Can't argue with that and one of my pet hates is seeing horses, cows, sheep etc in the wild and free section, but they aren't really pets either are they ?

Give all the non dummy spitting argumentative Bstrds a section of their own (y)

unfortunately there would still be those that would feel offended by the content of it.....

Some people on any forum will always use the anonymous "Report" button that's the way they are and have always been in life, (outside any forum).

After only a few months "on here" that's my experience …… and I did not realise that the Forum in general is frequented by so many "Reporters" …… as that seems to be the main reason they use the forum …. although this is only a feeling as it is impossible to identify as it's anonymous

(not getting at anyone in particular - and I have mentioned this in the past - I have seen some really inconsistent moderation)

IMo the issue isnt with those hitting 'report' - especially as the mods actively encourage this, and are sensible enough to ignore any report they think is flatuent or spiteful - the problem is with the people posting silly s*** and or arguing in an empty room .. if they behaved like reasonable adults instead of petulant children there'd be nothing for anyone to report in the first place (also a general observation not aimed at any particular poster)

Also with regard to 'inconsistent moderation' we have to remember that we can't see the whole story - what might appear to be inconsistent on the face of it with one person being mildly told off and another banned for the same offence might actually be that person one has a flawless reputation and has never put a foot wrong while person two has been acting like a cock for years and is on their last warning ... we don't know so we just have to trust the admins .

IMO both 'its great i love it' and ' its crap i don't like it' are equally useless - unless someone can tell you why your shot is good/bad in their opinion and what you should stop/continue then why bother posting on a crit thread.

IMO it should be a case of if you havent got anything useful to say positive or negative - then don't say anything

Also with regard to 'inconsistent moderation' we have to remember that we can't see the whole story - .
Absolutely Pete.
And that's what we keep saying,
but no one (well I guess except you ;) )
believes us.

And that's what we keep saying,
but no one (well I guess except you ;) )
believes us.
you'd think the amount of threads like this over the last couple of years, it might have sunk in a bit more :)

IMO it should be a case of if you havent got anything useful to say positive or negative - then don't say anything

Why ??
Surely any critique is worth receiving, I for one am quite happy with some just saying they like it, I hate it when people just hit the like button

but if they take the time to leave jst a few words then I will reply, even to negative comments.

I don't do or have any wish to do Landscape or Portraits, I do know when I like something but no idea why or if I don't why not
in a technical sense, it's just what I find pleasing, so I won't leave in depth critique on something I have absolutely no understanding
about.

Why ??
Surely any critique is worth receiving, I for one am quite happy with some just saying they like it, I hate it when people just hit the like button

but if they take the time to leave jst a few words then I will reply, even to negative comments.

I don't do or have any wish to do Landscape or Portraits, I do know when I like something but no idea why or if I don't why not
in a technical sense, it's just what I find pleasing, so I won't leave in depth critique on something I have absolutely no understanding
about.

Totally agree and to be honest if people keep saying you must do this and you must do that if you want to comment then it will drive people away.. i say what i like about it and that's that, and i think most are more than happy with that... if you can crit well then that's all well and good but i don't think there should be an army around demanding you must do more

Why ??

about.

The thing is though a simple platitude really adds nothing to a thread without some qualification, as an example and no I'm not planning on posting a link to it but earlier today I saw a comment on a critique and sharing thread that the entire content of the comment was "nice" that was it for the multiple photos posted and this was not a comment from a classifieds spammer, this was from someone that as far as I'm aware has shot this particular subject for years :( what use does "nice" have :(

I don't make claim to be some shining light of critique but I like to think I at least on the whole make a effort to put thought into comment I make on others photos...I cannot help but feel its better to have a member 5 comments that have some content to them than to have 25 post that have little to no content to them..maybe that is just me though

Why ??
Surely any critique is worth receiving,

because "great shot" isnt critique - in exactly the same way as "thats crap" isn't

i agree that any critique is worth recieving, but if people can't be arsed to say why they think something is great/crap then they arent giving critique anyway.

Of course if someone isnt posting for critique but just to have smoke blown up their arse about how great they are then have a cotterie of admirers telling theat every shot is "nice work" might be what they want - bt if someone is specifically asking for critique then telling them "nice" "thats great" or "love it" is just as useless as saying "thats crap" , "I hate it" or "rubbish"

Totally agree and to be honest if people keep saying you must do this and you must do that if you want to comment then it will drive people away.. i say what i like about it and that's that, and i think most are more than happy with that... if you can crit well then that's all well and good but i don't think there should be an army around demanding you must do more

My feelings exactly, people won't comment if they feel they have to type an essay every time, some newcomers may be put off from joining in if the read this
whereas many of us will quite happily acknowledge a brief note.

Just an aside to @big soft moose , if you can let us have a link to a picture you have posted for critique in the not too distant past I'll happily try and write something that you can tell me if I have got the hang of things

Totally agree and to be honest if people keep saying you must do this and you must do that if you want to comment then it will drive people away..

Personally if people arent giving critique thats useful to anyone , then i don't really care if they are 'driven away' from crit threads ( In fact if i was in marcels shoes giving pointless non crit in a crit thread would be a banning offence... just my opinion, and i guess we can all be grateful that the bod like one taks a less draconian stance)

To be clear i'm not talking about people who say " I love that because i like x, y, z" , only about those who think that "Thats nice" or indeed "that's crap" is an appropriate response to someone who has specfically said, or tagged, that they want critique (we are getting a bit off piste , prefferable to piste off , as this isnt really a problem in the birds board... although it is in some other areas)

Well that is odd have i just been reported? because something flashed up on my phone?!

because "great shot" isnt critique - in exactly the same way as "thats crap" isn't

i agree that any critique is worth recieving, but if people can't be arsed to say why they think something is great/crap then they arent giving critique anyway.
FFS! thats twice today that I am gonna have to agree with you!
TBH I belive its Face book / social media mentality, that seems to be ruling a lot of peoples lives these days.

Just an aside to @big soft moose , if you can let us have a link to a picture you have posted for critique in the not too distant past I'll happily try and write something that you can tell me if I have got the hang of things

I don't post for crit much - not because i think i'm perfect but because theres a minority of morons who will tear my photos apart due to their opinion of me, rather than any objective judgement of my work (note I am not saying that you fall into that category)

in general terms if you want to practice your crit skills i believe sarah started a sandbox for that purpose

Well that is odd have i just been reported? because something flashed up on my phone?!

afaik you don't get a notificaction if you are reported

FFS! thats twice today that I am gonna have to agree with you!

I think you can get counselling for that, chris

Don't panic trace
A reported post contained a quote from you.
Nothing to worry about ;)

I don't post for crit much - not because i think i'm perfect but because theres a minority of morons who will tear my photos apart due to their opinion of me, rather than any objective judgement of my work (note I am not saying that you fall into that category)

in general terms if you want to practice your crit skills i believe sarah started a sandbox for that purpose

You have a very low opinion of you fellow forum members :(
It's all very well giving out advice on how to do something right in your opinion, but if you don't show
your skills, how can you expect people to take it seriously:thinking:

afaik you don't get a notificaction if you are reported

Oh trust me i got something... it doesn't show in a notification but flashes up on my phone like one.. said ;report; yv quoted my post in this thread

As for your previous quote, yes a sentence should be enough especially if you are not fully au fait with giving it, just like i don't beleive there should be an issue with people not giving neg crit, if people want/can then fine etc etc blah blah

Oh ffs!! Don't worry T, not you, I reported Ingrid [ :p ] where she had quoted you. The app has a glitch, it tells you when you have been quoted, even if its in a forum you don't have access to, the staff contact in this case. Marcel is chasing the app folks, it was meant to be sorted.

Oh and before Ingrids ears steam into oblivion, it was only because she said something that reminded my of something entirely different I wanted to say in staffroom, I was being REALLY lazy - hoisted by my own petard as it were :LOL:

Oh ffs!! Don't worry T, not you, I reported Ingrid [ :p ] where she had quoted you. The app has a glitch, it tells you when you have been quoted, even if its in a forum you don't have access to, the staff contact in this case. Marcel is chasing the app folks, it was meant to be sorted.

Oh and before Ingrids ears steam into oblivion, it was only because she said something that reminded my of something entirely different I wanted to say in staffroom, I was being REALLY lazy - hoisted by my own petard as it were :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: ..... that is funny! ( and yes lazy girl lol)!

PMSL Yvonne, I don't get all steamy.............................honest :D

Thanks Pete, do you know any good ones? :D

if you lie back on a couch in the staffroom and recall my posting history your childhood, i'm sure one of the others will talk some sense into you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back