How . . . ?

Name
David Bell
Edit My Images
Yes
. . . do I get birds other than starlings on the bird table? I put a variety of food out but these things will eat anything and come in dozens!!!
Made a table with branches to try to make it look more natural but it just gives room for more starlings at the same time.

IMG_0514a800x571.jpg

IMG_0531a779x800.jpg

IMG_0548a800x491.jpg

you do get quite a few starlings , now in my limited experience have you thought about a seed/nut feeder maybe away from that table if you the room, the other thing is that many large birds will scare the smaller one off

I have found that different types of feeder attract different birds. If you use a feeder that hangs, and hasn't got a perch on it, this will attract birds that are more agile than starlings.
I also agree with the last comment. Put these feeders away from the bird table if you can. Keep feeding on the table though, to keep the starlings where they are happy.

Alternatively don't feed anything for a couple of days to discourage any unwanted birds, then introduce selective feeders for the birds you are hoping to attract. Starlings will try to hang off feeders but they will find easier food if available. This could be your neighbours garden?

Hope this helps if you require any more info please send me a PM

Last edited:
For gold finches get a Niger seed feeder, they love them.
For green finches I find sunflower hearts are the best.
Tits like nuts.
So in short the bigger the selection of food the more varieties of bird you will get.
Including wood pigeons that will hoover up everything that is dropped from the feeders.

I put sunflower hearts, wild bird seed, peanuts, meely worms(SP?) fat ball, fat filled coconut and a tray with fat & bits in on the various tables and the starlings and pigeons clean up the lot. :LOL:

I get exactly the same problem so I go out of the garden and into the local parks and woodlands with a pocketful of mixed seed and nuts. On my regular walk now, Im finding that the birds are getting friendlier and braver as if they recognise me as a biringer of food.

The first thing you should do is crush your nuts ... :eek: ... putting whole ones out loose can be dangerous to young birds at breeding time (now ... ;)) ... peanuts are generally best fed in a wire feeder ... :D

If you place a seed mix on the table you will find Starlings will not be so keen ... :cautious: ... and as the youngsters get older (any time now) you will find them less frequent garden visitors ... :shrug:

Also get some fat balls and hang them up in wire feeders too but take care to remove any plastic netting they come in ... ;)

Other comments above about food and location are good tips too ... :D

Good luck ... :p

:agree: 100% especially about the nuts .. ekk.

We had a real problem with starlings, sometimes 20+ at once. SO we stopped putting fat balls and sultanas out. Now we are down to just about 4 starlings and they get bored easily. If you still want to have the starlings visit just locate the fat balls and suet feeders on the opposite side of the garden, that should do it.

Click here for a look at our set up and types of food (hover over the pic for notes), hope it helps ;)

Back