Howletts Wildlife Park Photography Experience (Warning Pic HEAVY)

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I went on a photography experience day at Howletts Wildlife Park yesterday and so I thought I'd share my experience. I posted a bit in a previous thread so some of this is duplicate.

Howletts is a really nice park, great enclosures and well looked after animals with plenty of variety, ranging from big cats to elephants to small monkeys and anteaters.

The photography experience was hands down one of the best experiences of my life. I have never, and probably will never get so close to wild animals like this again. They organise it so that you get to the enclosures at feeding time so that the animals are up close and personal. At one point I was up against the mesh and the tiger literally brushed past me. You aren't allowed to touch the animals but it's not my fault if a tiger touches me ;) With a couple of pieces of meat he held the meat high up and the tiger stood on it's back legs, they're one big cat :eek: This particular tiger was rescued and hand reared after it's mother tried to kill her, in the process breaking both front paws and legs :( It has a very severe limp and no way would have survived in the wild.

Again, at the lion enclosure you are right next to the them, and I mean right next to them. All that separates you from them is a mesh fence. You are so close you can feel their breath, and I had a lion roar in my face from literally 6" away if not closer. I also got very wet when it shook itself dry after going for a dip ;) Interestingly the male had no mane, and this was due to him being castrated to prevent inter-breeding. As soon as they're castrated they lose their manes.

Again the black rhinos were within touching distance, they are some seriously impressive animals, and weirdly cute ;) With the elephants you had to stand about 6-8 feet away when they were close as they can reach with their trunk and give you a good slap, or grab your camera ;) Once though when they'd moved away I was shooting through the fence one snook up from the side and charged at me. The keeper just saw it at the last minute and brought it to my attention. Thrilling experience turning and seeing an elephant feet away from you at full charge. Good job my reflexes are still in good working order ;)

After lunch you get in the back of a trailer and go into the large 'field' that has a few different plain animals, deer and buck etc. They tried to get the buck to run as apparently they jump quite high but they weren't playing ball. That being said a couple did jump a bit and I was lucky enough to capture it. We weren't allowed into one of the small monkey enclosures as one had had a baby that night/morning and they've lost the last 3 so are being very protective, and rightly so. They didn't even know if this one was alive and/or feeding but fortunately having my 600mm lens proved invaluable and I got a picture of it from outside and it looked like the baby was feeding. The park staff were very relieved :) At the gorilla enclosure you have to stay behind the glass as they can reach through the fence and grab you, which made taking photos a bit tricky. But that didn't bother me, it was just such a privilege being able to get so close.

The lemur enclosure is free for the general public to walk around, however we were allowed to step over the small fence and get right up to the feeding table. I had Lemurs jumping over over me, running through my legs and trying to get in my back pack ;)

The photographer who took us round was an absolute top bloke, really nice guy, helpful and full of good stories and experiences to share. He's done shoots for various wildlife magazines and books etc, including national geographic. He came to meet me and my wife at the car park afterwards to show me some of his work from around the world. Stunning, there's no other word for it. Not only pin pin sharp, but beautifully composed and with stunning backdrops and great 'moments' captured.

So all in all as you can probably tell I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. Apart from my wedding day I can't think of a better experience I've had off the top of my head. Just to get so close to the animals was an experience in itself, but then to be able to take photos was the icing on the cake. I just hope my photos do it justice.

Tigers

DSC_0980 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1025 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1075 by TDG-77, on Flickr

4. (My fave)
DSC_1085 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1247 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent set.
I've spoken to Dave the photographer there a couple of times, even bumped into him at Twycross recently and he really does seem like a top bloke.

Absolutely superb set. So so sharp and well composed (y)

Great set of pictures mate what lens are you useing for these looks really sharp ( scrap that just seen the lenses on your flicker )

Last edited:
Great set of pictures mate what lens are you useing for these looks really sharp ( scrap that just seen the lenses on your flicker )
Thanks. Noticed that you've seen which lenses now, but for other's benefit I mainly used the Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, and used the Tamron 150-600mm VC for the long range shots.

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning set there! 2nd Gorilla shot is one of my favs - that expression!

What a great set of images.
Howletts us a great place to walk around.
Some if the enclosures there aren't particularly photo friendly, so having a little closer access must have been brilliant!

What a great set of images.
Howletts us a great place to walk around.
Some if the enclosures there aren't particularly photo friendly, so having a little closer access must have been brilliant!
Thanks. I know what you mean about camera friendly, but access was excellent on this experience. I have to say this is one of the reasons I love the Yorkshire Wilflife Park so much, as it's relatively new most enclosures offer unhindered views.

Looks like you had a fantastic day and what an excellent set of shots too
No 3 of the Gorilla stands out its superb and love the tiger's too

Looks like you had a fantastic day and what an excellent set of shots too
No 3 of the Gorilla stands out its superb and love the tiger's too
Thanks very much. Yes was a superb day :)

Back