Critique HSBC Thames

I like No1 black and white , although it need straightening

I like the 2nd one. Not sure if it is the phone but may be a bit of + ve exposure on the buildings may help. Thanks

I like the second one but the tones of the buildings and the river don't seem to match. The river is too gold/warm and the building too blue/cold. The sky seems to have a little of both and is better balanced.

The motion blur of the clouds is too overwhelming for my taste in shot 1. The clouds either need to be more blurred so they look smooth or not blurred like the colour version, for me.

I like the second one but the tones of the buildings and the river don't seem to match. The river is too gold/warm and the building too blue/cold. The sky seems to have a little of both and is better balanced.

Thats just how it looked when i shot it. But i'll have a play to see if i can balance it out. Thank you

Because of the angle I'm not sure it will ever look 100% level.

I prefer the mono, but then i like London in B&W

It was the best angle in the area and very hard to get the building to look straight

Also not sure if they are dust bunnies or maybe birds but you could tidy them up on sky as when looking again I'm drawn to them

It was the best angle in the area and very hard to get the building to look straight
Cant picture where the area is?
I have one with the same sort of angle but not the same area?

Thats better :D
Agreed, but it is still the most contrasts bit of the photo so my eye goes there first, then to the bright water then to the buildings. This is fine if you intended that, but for me the star of the photo is the clump of buildings but they aren't the main point of attraction. I'm being picky here though, of course. I'd be happy to have taken these (and will have a go one day as it seems a good shot to shoot from)

GRR, I've just played about and now I find that you don't allow editing. Shucks. Into the bin it goes!
(Note to self - do your homework before starting out!)

GRR, I've just played about and now I find that you don't allow editing. Shucks. Into the bin it goes!
(Note to self - do your homework before starting out!)

please post it, just changed my setting to Yes

Last edited:
As you asked...
I just changed the blur in the sky to try and make it more dramatic. Also slightly changed the mono conversion. Don't know if you'll like it - just thought I'd try something different!

HSBC Color
by mickledore on Talk Photography

The hardest part is to select just the sky.
Control J to put on a separate layer>
Filter>Blur>Radial Blur>Zoom and choose an appropriate level. Think mine was about 40 ish.
You might get some overspill on the buildings which a mask will help to remove.

The hardest part is to select just the sky.
Control J to put on a separate layer>
Filter>Blur>Radial Blur>Zoom and choose an appropriate level. Think mine was about 40 ish.
You might get some overspill on the buildings which a mask will help to remove.

I can't get the photo to look like yours :( doing what you've said

Just had another go. Think I might have overstated the level of blur. Maybe it was only 10/15.
Then I converted to mono using Silver Effects and the Full Dynamic setting. Played about a bit with the sliders in there but nothing too heavy.
Came out roughly the same - it never comes out the same twice on the trot!

Well that's not a million miles away from what I got. The mono conversion did bring out the contrast in the sky quite dramatically. Do you have the SilverEffects plug in? If not try playing around with contrast levels in your chosen mono conversion. If you can't get there and you want a full size version of mine then just holler.

Getting there. Think the only difference betwen the two of us is in the use of the various sliders. That's down to personal preference. SWMBO doesn't like mine; she prefers yours!
I can't argue too much with her because it's our wedding asnniversary and I'm on a promise, or several if I behave myself.
I might be some time!

Getting there. Think the only difference betwen the two of us is in the use of the various sliders. That's down to personal preference. SWMBO doesn't like mine; she prefers yours!
I can't argue too much with her because it's our wedding asnniversary and I'm on a promise, or several if I behave myself.
I might be some time!

:D good luck on your promise and thank you for all the help

I'm afraid I'm really not on board with the front to back sky blur in the latter shots. Particularly the last couple where the lower part of the sky is still sharp/motionless but the upper is streaked. Looks strange.

I much prefer the first mono image. I just think it needs a degree or two of anti clockwise rotation.

Back