Huge Scale printing?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. This is a total stab in the dark here. Basically my boss has seen some of my desktop backgrounds of local landscapes and likes the idea of having an image printed onto his wall panels. Basically he sells and has PVC cladding manufactured for him.

The boards are 2700mm length and 250mm wide and interlock into each other. So for a landscape image it would need to be printed at 2700mm x 4050mm. (which would span across approximately 16 boards)
and for a portrait it would span across 8 boards at a print size of 2700 x 2025mm.

What kind of DPI Would these images need to be at? what resolution? and how would something be created for a print this size?

He's also had a vision of this board running seamlessly into another board which would be ran around the room which would fit into the feature. The only way i'd see this possible is the first and the last board having a kind of frame printed onto the edge of the image then running into a design of his choosing.

Thanks

Andy

Don't bother about dpi and resolution it's all a myth. All you do is send the biggest file you have. If the file is not big enough to give good resoloution, then it's not big enough that's it.

What size is your image? I had a 3 shot panoramic printed 6 meters wide of which the original image was only 80dpi and it came out fantastic.

What size is your image? I had a 3 shot panoramic printed 6 meters wide of which the original image was only 80dpi and it came out fantastic.
The images I have are 240dpi and 6000x4000 pixels.

The images I have are 240dpi and 6000x4000 pixels.
Quoting dpi without specifying a final print size doesn't make much sense. The DPI metadata stored in a digital image can be regarded as 'for information only'.

The actual DPI you need depends on three things - print size, required quality and viewing distance. 300DPI is regarded as standard for art prints; ISTR that billboards are often printed at 15 DPI.

As Simon said, viewing distance is a huge factor in the dpi for an image to appear acceptable.

Since you are suggesting a printed size of 2.7m x 4m, I'm guessing these are designed to be viewed from a distance.

6000 wide (pixels) at 4m = ~ 38 dpi, over double the 15dpi Simon suggested for a billboard sized image - sounds plenty!

Please can we get the terminology correct... DPI (Dots of ink Per Inch) is a printing term, PPI is Pixels Per Inch

You are not going to be viewing the image from a couple of feet, your image will be fine and printing to that size will normally be via a RIP (Raster Image Processor) which will do the hard work for you.

As you're not a million miles from North Yorkshire you could have a word with Mark at De-Signs in Harrogate... just the sort of thing he does really well.

Back