North England Hull. Is it worth bothering with?

Where are you Mickledore - Liverpool? I'd go north wales every day from there

Where are you Mickledore - Liverpool? I'd go north wales every day from there
Yup. Liverpool.
Go to North Wales regularly. And Lakes. Both are less than 2 hours by car. Nice and handy. So are Mancs and Liverpool.

But a change never goes amiss. There's a good train service from Lime Street. Been to London, Glasgow, Edinburgh. All little more than 2 hours away on Virgin West Coast. £11 return to London last January!!! Went to Newcastle a couple of weeks ago. Also Leeds, York and Sheffield this year. Railcard gets some hammer; I get my money back several times over.

Lucky to get my pass stamped when I ask. Sometimes SWMBO tags along.

So I'm looking for somewhere different for a couple of days.

Blackpool? Lights must be getting turned on soon
Close to being turned off. Season is nearly over.
They are over hyped. Went a couple of years ago but it's hard to get decent shots. Lights are mainly on one side of the road; burger bars and Kiss me Quick stalls on the other side. Spent the night playing with shutter speeds and trams.
I can actually see the tower from here, across the Ribble Estuary.

Liverpool to Holyhead?
Anglesey is nice, but then so is liverpool, harbourside, new shopping centre, all the museums and galleries
Anglesey is nice but you can't get around by train. A car is needed.
Got a couple of trips pencilled in for when the weather is right.

The Peaks? 20 min train from Sheff to Hope. Then from there Castleton, Cave Dale, Winnats Pass, Mam Tor all doable on foot.

So the criteria is 2 hours by train from Liverpool, where you haven't been before and will be interesting to photograph...
Car?

Hereford, Worcester, Warwick
Derby was nice when I went there for a study weekend

Last edited:
We had a week in Shropshire, used the train when we were there to go out a couple of times
Ludlow, Shrewsbury, Hereford and Abergavenny all on the same line

So the criteria is 2 hours by train from Liverpool, where you haven't been before and will be interesting to photograph...
No. 2 - 2.5 hours by car or 3 - 3.5 hours by train. Depending on train times an overnight stay will be considered. But London is only 2 hours....that's without the "benefit" of HS2!

Pretty sure you can find in plenty in London that you haven't seen or photographed
Still bits I want to see even after living and working there for over forty years.

Virgin will soon start throwing Weekend tickets about like confetti. Dirt cheap long distance travel at this time of year.
Leave Liverpool 8AM, London 10AM. Full day's shooting and leave London 5/6/7 PM. Back home in time for a pint or three.
What's not to like?

Edinburgh is about 4 hours by train from Liverpool

from before:
Hereford, Worcester, Warwick
Derby was nice when I went there for a study weekend

Stratford on Avon, Coventry, Royal Lemington Spa,

RAF Museum at Cosford
https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/

Blimey - worlds your oyster from Liverpool

Edit: Isle of Man - now that is a great place

Virgin will soon start throwing Weekend tickets about like confetti. Dirt cheap long distance travel at this time of year.
Leave Liverpool 8AM, London 10AM. Full day's shooting and leave London 5/6/7 PM. Back home in time for a pint or three.
What's not to like?

Selfish Londoners, the traffic, the crowds? :D

Selfish Londoners, the traffic, the crowds? :D

Yeah, probably best you stay well away.:D

Paris is my favourite city destination, just over two hours from St Pancras and like London something interesting whichever way you turn.
So easy to get around on the metro, again like London and the tube, so lucky to have two great cities to visit

Last edited:
Back